Windows 10: Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles

Discus and support Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I logged into my Windows 10 box and it asked for a new license key because my previous MSDN license expired. I entered a new key for Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jedi Master, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles

I logged into my Windows 10 box and it asked for a new license key because my previous MSDN license expired. I entered a new key for Windows 10 Business Pro and it accepted it. It prompted me that there are new features and that it has to apply so I let it. The Windows task bar Icon prompted me that several other updates need to be applied and so I installed those as well. After the updates were applied, it said to restart the computer and I did. After the PC came back up, all my files were deleted. My C:\Source\ files were deleted, my OneDrive folder was deleted, documents were deleted etc and my original account I logged in with was removed as well??? Is there a restore I can do. I need options!?

:)

Jedi Master, Oct 14, 2018
  2. bigscale Win User

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Oct 14, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles

Windows update daily? Ugh

Windows Update seems to be stuck trying to install a particular update, so this might be of use to you.

Click Start, then type "cmd" (without quotes). Right-click cmd then it comes up and hit "Run as Administrator". At the command prompt, type "net stop wuauserv" (again, without quotes), wait for it to say "The Windows Update service was stopped sucessfully" or words to that effect. Leave cmd running.

Navigate to C:\Windows (or whatever drive your OS is installed on), and delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder. Once that's done, go back to cmd and type "net start wuauserv" (without wuotes again) and wait for it to say "The Windows Update was started sucessfully" or words to that effect. Exit cmd.

Open Windows update, you will need to re-enable Microsoft Update as deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder resets Windows Update. Install any updates that come up and your problem *should* be fixed.

If not, all I can suggest is either downloading that patch manually and installing it, or just reinstall Windows.

Red_Machine, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles

1. Did WIndows Update with New Windows Key, After Update it Delete All mY FIles - Similar Threads - Did Update Key

2. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update deleted all my files: The latest Windows update has really done some bizarre things. I am not sure what is going on at Microsoft but these updates are really messing up my system. The last one in August stopped all games that used Unreal Engine from working and this one has taken it to another...
  3. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update deleted all my files: The latest Windows update has really done some bizarre things. I am not sure what is going on at Microsoft but these updates are really messing up my system. The last one in August stopped all games that used Unreal Engine from working and this one has taken it to another...
  4. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 update deleted all my files

Windows 10 update deleted all my files: Woke on the 16th to see a forced Windows 10 update had been pushed through on my desktop. All my settings, bookmarks, and most importantly - files and photographs - are gone. Tried restoring to a previous version from an auto back-up two days before the update took 8 hrs!...
  6. All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.: After an Windows update last night I discovered that all my files on my C: drive were gone. At first I could not even log in on my account. Which is odd beacuse I don't use a password on my user profile since I am the only one using this computer. I restared the computer but...
  7. Update deleted all my files

Update deleted all my files: Hi, I went to turn my computer on, and my computer began to install updates. When it finally finished, all of my files were deleted. Everything. I tried to restore it, but there is no restore point data either. How do I get all my information back? Thanks! Caitlyn...
  8. Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files

Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files: Windows 10 updated and all my files are gone. I tried retrieving it from the windows.old file but it was empty. All my pictures were on my computer and now they are completely gone and this is ridiculous that an update my computer said it needed completely wiped my computer....
  9. New Windows Update and All my File Deleted

New Windows Update and All my File Deleted: So today I decided to update my windows and when I log back on all my pictures, documents are gone but all my files in the download folder are still there. Any idea on how I could fix this??...
  10. Windows update delete ALL MY FILES

Windows update delete ALL MY FILES: Hello there, i do manual update on my freshy reinstalled work laptop. After that (which takes litteraly hours) finaly i realize that the only remaining thing from my hard disk is probably the desktop picture. I have a previous Windows.old folder where was all my important...