Windows 10: Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file

Discus and support Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have seen guides online for creating a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 from an ISO file, e.g. by using Rufus, or just dragging the relevant files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OYRC, Jan 26, 2019.

1. OYRC Win User

Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file

I have seen guides online for creating a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 from an ISO file, e.g. by using Rufus, or just dragging the relevant files onto the USB (like here: [https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-use-an-iso-file-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive/](https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-use-an-iso-file-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive/))

The question is: what is the difference, if any, between a bootable USB drive created via these methods versus a bootable USB drive created through Microsoft's media creation tool?

Is there a heirarchy of these methods in terms of reliability? Which method for creating the bootable USB drive, besides using the media creation tool, is most reliable? Which methods, besides the media creation tool, are endorsed/advised by Microsoft?

:)

2. akumajou Win User

Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO?

Is there any difference between creating a bootable Windows 10 USB drive with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and downloading MSDN's Windows 10 ISO to manually create a bootable USB drive with it?

akumajou, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Media Creation Tool question

Thanks Cerberus but Ive no problem downloading the Iso with the media creation tool. I don't think its the ISO that is the problem' I think the problem is when the Media Creation Tool is creating the bootable USB flash drive. So I think I can use the Media Creation Tool for that part...and as you say try something like Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive

I still have this question though "The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool) option that the Media Creation Tool should be save to the PC and run from there.
    On Microsoft site the instructions are to Download the Tool and select Run (no saving to the PC). Is there a reason for saving it to the PC first as suggested on Tenforums?"

I was curious to see if others had encountered the issue I had with the Media Creation Tool. Ive never had a problem using it before

sportsfan148, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file

Andre Da Costa, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file

1. Difference between bootable USB from media creation tool vs ISO file - Similar Threads - Difference between bootable

2. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  3. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  4. ISO for windows provided by MS vs media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ISO for windows provided by MS vs media creation tool: Windows download siteSeems to require a dual layer DVD blank disc, but havent found one yet in stores... Flash drive is ok i guess https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iso-for-windows-provided-by-ms-vs-media-creation/b5c938ac-5a07-4c73-a161-8afeee820657
  5. ISO for windows provided by MS vs media creation tool

ISO for windows provided by MS vs media creation tool: Windows download siteSeems to require a dual layer DVD blank disc, but havent found one yet in stores... Flash drive is ok i guess https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iso-for-windows-provided-by-ms-vs-media-creation/b5c938ac-5a07-4c73-a161-8afeee820657
  6. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  7. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  8. Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings: Hi all – What's the difference between doing a clean install with the media creation tool vs. choosing "Reset this PC" in the Recovery settings? How-To Geek describes a clean install using the media creation tool. CNET describes a clean install as going into Settings -->...
  9. iso media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    iso media creation tool: windows 10 home 64bit 1607 Updated windows 7 home premium 64bit to windows 10 home. Then to windows 10 home 1607. Is the media creation tool the same as 'create system image' in windows 10 home? Can I make an iso installer? Can it be activated with the windows 7 home...
  10. Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool: Hey all, Just as the title says, what is the difference between TechBench: Tech Bench and the regular Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ? Thanks! 30722