Windows 10: Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu"

Discus and support Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu" in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have several desk top tiles(Apps) that do not work properly, when clicked on to open. Instead when they do open they automatically just default to a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by HOWITTRO, Apr 17, 2020.

1. HOWITTRO Win User

Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu"

I have several desk top tiles(Apps) that do not work properly, when clicked on to open. Instead when they do open they automatically just default to a Microsoft search engine instead of the desired "App". To reinstall the "App" again I have to google the desired web site and then when it is open on my desktop, I select Menu from the 3 dots in the upper right corner and in the Menu drop down menu I get under the "More Tools" button either an option to Create a "Short Cut" and other times I get the option to "Add a Tile to the Start Menu". I then open the Start menu (lower left corner) and click on "All Apps" and sometimes the selected web site appears under the tab at the top of the screen entitled "Recently Added" and sometimes it doesn't. When the new app appears under the "Recently Added" screen I am able to right click on it and "Pin to Start Menu" . I added "AD Blocker" and "Ghost" recently which may have messed up my settings. I do not want to reinstall windows to avoid having to reinstall all "Apps", Favorites and software programs i.e. Microsoft Office, Outlook, Turbo Tax for past 5 years etc.

1. So why do I have 'Apps" that stopped working and now just default to a search engine website.
    2. Why do I get option to "Create a "Short Cut" and other times I get the option to "Add a Tile to the Start Menu" when I
    select Menu from the 3 dots in the upper right corner

:)

HOWITTRO, Apr 17, 2020
  2. MDD0799 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, May 23, 2020
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, May 23, 2020
  4. Bert22306 Win User

Multiple tiles for same shortcut in Win 10 Start menu

I created a shortcut for an app I installed in Windows 10 Pro (version 1703). I pinned that app to the start menu. The icon for the app never wanted to appear in the start menu tile. It was instead some default icon, always. Even though the proper icon did
    appear on the shortcut when on the desktop or if I pinned it to the task bar.

So I right-clicked my shortcut's tile in the start menu, and clicked "open file location." Aha. It took me deep in the app data folder, under my name, windows\start menu\programs, and there was the shortcut and default icon showing up in the list. So I deleted
    that shortcut's entry from the start menu list of programs, thinking that now, if I again pin the shortcut to the start menu, the proper icon will show up.

It did! But at the same time, it created two tiles, not just one. Oh drat, repeat the process. Now it created three tiles. If you "unpin" any one of those, they all disappear. If you again pin the shortcut to the start menu, all of those tiles reappear.

Does anyone know how to end this ridiculous behavior? Is there a way to purge these other copies of the same tile? Many thanks.

Bert22306, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu" - Similar Threads - Difference between Create

2. A start menu tile is a different color

in Windows 10 Customization
    A start menu tile is a different color: Hello!I've had this problem for a while now, basically a start menu tile picture below is slightly lighter then the others. I'm running version 21H1, so the tiles should be all the same color.Got any idea?...
  3. start menu pinned tiles

start menu pinned tiles: so when i close everything it goes to desktop and im not able to see desktop apps because start menu is blocking everything and wont close. os build {19041.508} 2004...
  4. start menu pinned tiles

start menu pinned tiles: when ever i close everything i cant see anything in desktop apps because start menu pinned tiles wont close??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-pinned-tiles/e0987182-f335-48a0-ab83-c7f1a213dfbd
  5. Different color of tiles in the start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different color of tiles in the start menu.: [ATTACH] Yes, I have a problem again. I hope it's the last one. Some tiles of the background is brighter than the other. I saw a similar post about 2 weeks ago, but I lost it. P.s.:the system has Russian installed, because I am from Russia....
  6. Start menu pinned tiles lost

Start menu pinned tiles lost: Hello to all, Yesterday I have done the following Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4551762/windows-10-update-kb4551762 Now I see that I also moved to Version 1909, too. … and ever since all my pinned programs in the Start menu are gone not the...
  7. Different colored tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Different colored tiles in Start Menu: Windows 10 Pro Does anyone know what the significance of the highlighted items might mean? Googling this turned up empty. Mighty thankful for your help. 149708
  8. How to create shortcuts for start menu?

in Browsers and Email
    How to create shortcuts for start menu?: I am at my wits end with this issue: I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news, etc..all websites by hitting "pin to start" in the new edge browser. I have now made Opera my default browser, so now I...
  9. Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?: Hello! I haven't tried the previews but follow the development through blogs and YouTube. I am running 8.1 on all my PC's and love it. I've become used to the start screen and tiles but was under the impression that the new start menu in 10 would make it possible to pin...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914