Windows 10: Difference between en-US and en-GB versions

Discus and support Difference between en-US and en-GB versions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there can anybody explain to me if there's any difference between the en-US and en-GB versions. It seems with BOTH you can install whatever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Difference between en-US and en-GB versions

Hi there

can anybody explain to me if there's any difference between the en-US and en-GB versions. It seems with BOTH you can install whatever version of ENGLISH plus appropriate keyboard you want. Locale etc doesn't seem to matter either.

There presumably must be some difference or why would Ms bother to make two different versions (other than Price possibly!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  2. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 31, 2015
  3. Rudy Mas Win User

Try to find the word color (US) or colour (UK). *Smile (For example, in the Control Panel, you have Colo(u)r Management.)

The way how some words are written is probably the only difference between those two versions. And probably also the time and date. I always use the US version, even when I'm Dutch and from Belgium. *Wink I don't like translated software and prefer the US spelling, even when my own English isn't perfect. *Wink

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    At install time it gives you the option - you can choose Language English --> United Kingdom. The only difference I can see between the two versions is that the default is either English US or English GB when you start up the install process then you can drop down to change anyway.

So it seems even more pointless to have a separate edition.

I must surely be missing something here.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Rudy Mas Win User
    It's probably a legacy thing that they are carrying along.

The laptop I use for college, came with a Dutch version of Win8.1 installed on it, but I changed it into a US English looking version with just installing a language pack. The backbone of Windows is the same for all languages, I think.

However, I did need to upgrade with a Dutch ISO, because else I didn't apply for a upgrade for this laptop. Of course, a language pack later, and it's back to an US English version. Only at a few screens, you still see that it originally was a Dutch version. *Smile

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Robx Win User
    The original Installed Language does matter (God knows why).

If you Upgrade or In-place Upgrade (Repair Install) with the wrong language, you may be informed you can't Keep Files, settings and Apps.

Files only or Nothing (Clean Install)

You can check which language is your original in Registry entry (Win+R regedit )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language\InstallLanguage

The Hex language codes are listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/221435

So Dutch is 413 / 0413 (Hex)
    German 0407
    US English 0409
    UK English 0809
    etc etc

Download and keep the correct iso for your system. eg

MS Media Creation Tool (W8.1)

MS Media Creation Tool (W10)

Robx, Aug 2, 2015
  7. mkdr Win User

Because two countries use English doesnt mean they are the same...

mkdr, Aug 2, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User
    The British version enables the correct spelling, grammar and punctuation of the English language.

It also defaults to the correct date, time, number, currency and measurement formats, etc.

Dialogue boxes are not rude but use polite phrasing, you don't have to stand and salute a flag before use, manual gearbox is standard and it drives on the correct side of the road.

9. Mystere Win User
    There are also single-language versions of Windows Home OEM sold, so if you get a single-language version, you can't install the US language.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  10. mkdr Win User
    It's also not that, there are way more things. For example different market too, but in the end it doesnt matter because you can change these things with a few clicks to any language/country you want: Market (living location), keyboard layout (+ display language), and the clock/punctuation/symbol settings. Behind this is the key which is bound to the country you bought it from.

Thema:

1. Difference between en-US and en-GB versions - Similar Threads - Difference between versions

2. Mysterious EN-US Input Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious EN-US Input Language: Hello,For some strange reason I have two languages available in my taskbar, ENG-UK and ENG-US. It's a bit annoying having ENG-US there, as I don't actually have this language pack, display language, input method, keyboard layout etc... installed anywhere!I'm pretty tech savvy...
  3. Mysterious EN-US Input Language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious EN-US Input Language: Hello,For some strange reason I have two languages available in my taskbar, ENG-UK and ENG-US. It's a bit annoying having ENG-US there, as I don't actually have this language pack, display language, input method, keyboard layout etc... installed anywhere!I'm pretty tech savvy...
  4. Change OSLanguage from EN-US to EN-GB

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change OSLanguage from EN-US to EN-GB: Hi there,We have some machines on our estate that where imaged using the wrong OSLanguage, these where issued as EN-US instead of EN-GB, in the grand scheme of things its not a huge problem for us as we have changed the default keyboard layout to EN-GB but does anyone know if...
  5. en-us enterpise local experience pack

en-us enterpise local experience pack: Hi Community people,I might be stupid or just missing something here.I have a multilanguage build I have created using 20H2 and all the LXP files I needed where on the ISO I downloaded from our...
  6. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/: Called yestereday via chat got help but no luck. today I think i found the file i'm looking for. help, live agent please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/httpssupportmicrosoftcomen-uscontactus/8e28fbb6-e9fc-4369-849c-6e218668c4a2
  7. Language locale issues EN-UK / EN-US rundll32

Language locale issues EN-UK / EN-US rundll32: I am having issues with the HP drivers for Win10; when the system language is set to EN-UK the Printing Prefernces dialog is broken whilst the Properties dialog is OK....
  8. Difference between en, en-gb and uk editions v1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between en, en-gb and uk editions v1903: 10972d3072ee715a6c8e2001754220c9147ef78ben-gb_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_44ca01a6.iso344ca92459c23663d5f857c72a7c030f85f 19be8en_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_b980e68c.iso03e1ccc463eb59439988a09057998e...
  9. Windows keeps adding input language (EN-US and EN-FR) automatically

Windows keeps adding input language (EN-US and EN-FR) automatically: Windows keeps adding input language (EN-US and EN-FR) automatically, and to delete them i have to add this input methods because they existe just on switching list.... but they will come back again and i have to do it all over... help me to solve this problem forever...
  10. Can someone kindly upload the en-US version of the modern settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can someone kindly upload the en-US version of the modern settings?: Hi guys, All of a sudden my start menu search refuses to display the modern control panel items. After some research I found out that this is a common issue and that it's caused by a missing folder inside: "C:\Users\<Your user...