Windows 10: Difference between Format and quick format

Discus and support Difference between Format and quick format in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Question: Does selecting format, not Quick Format, write over the drive with some algorithms or just the FAT?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JasonDavisTx, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Difference between Format and quick format

Question: Does selecting format, not Quick Format, write over the drive with some algorithms or just the FAT?

:)

JasonDavisTx, Aug 29, 2019
  2. Wile E Win User

Quick format or normal format?

I always Quick format first. But, if I have a new drive, a drive formatted in something other than NTFS or FAT32, or otherwise encounter a problem with quick format, I do the normal format.

Wile E, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Quick format or normal format?

A full format does three things:
    Erases all data
    Sets up a system for recording what is stored where on the disk
    Checks the disk for physical errors.

A quick format skips the check for errors, so it is a much faster process.
    You can quick format a disk only if it was already formatted.
    When you suspect there may be a problem with a disk, you will have to do a full format to find out.

VulkanBros, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Wile E Win User

Difference between Format and quick format

Quick format or normal format?

I have a 500GB drive in my iMac, to format 250GB for boot camp and Windows took around 45min. I tried quick format first, but it didn't work. So, yes, I feel your pain. lol

Wile E, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

Difference between Format and quick format

1. Difference between Format and quick format - Similar Threads - Difference between Format

2. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  3. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  4. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  5. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  6. Is there a difference between formatting windows and restoring it ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a difference between formatting windows and restoring it ?: What is better, a zero installation of windows, or restore the system using restore point? I did a clean installation of windows and created a restore point, if o go back to that point will it be the same as if I had a clean installation? submitted by /u/TLukas123 [link]...
  7. Is there any difference between the "normal" formatting and the "reset this PC" feature on...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any difference between the "normal" formatting and the "reset this PC" feature on...: Hello. I decided to format my PC (windows 10) and I was wondering which option I should use: "normal" formatting, the one we've always used since windows vista/7 (and I guess xp and older as well), or the "reset this PC" feature in w10? What's the difference between the 2?...
  8. how to quick format a CD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to quick format a CD: I have 14 CDs that I need to re-format. I'd like to use quick format, and that option appears on the Format options, but it will not allow me to check on it. I know erase is a lot faster, but for legal reasons don't ask LOL that is not acceptable. Thanks for you help....
  9. quick format- data recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    quick format- data recovery: Accident I did quick format of D drive (windows 10), the data is in drive, I am not able to see any why to recover the data, can any one guide https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-format-data-recovery/5e55eb45-391a-45da-9a08-50e709c2d7a9
  10. Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option: Hey all, I know that it is advised that one should not format a SSD without the Quick Format option enabled. However I want to start with a completely clean SSD. This is not my C drive (Windows 10) but rather a second SSD used for certain applications. Question is, will...