Windows 10: Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10

Discus and support Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has developed various software to ease our work in day-to-day life but sometimes we are not aware of the exact functions performed by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 31, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10

Microsoft has developed various software to ease our work in day-to-day life but sometimes we are not aware of the exact functions performed by the particular programs. Like Notepad, WordPad, and Microsoft Word, they may seem to perform similar tasks but they are different in many ways. Most of the users have found their comfort zone in working with one of these software, say MS Word. In this article, we will talk about the right functions to be performed by Notepad, WordPad, and MS word.

Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10 Notepad-WordPad-and-Word.jpg

Difference between Notepad, WordPad, and Word

Notepad, a text editor, performs relatively fewer functions as compared to WordPad and MS word. On the other hand, WordPad and Word are very close to each other but still distinct in many ways. This post will help you find out which program has to be used and help you simplify your text-related cumbersome activities.

Notepad, A simple text editor

Notepad is a simple text editor and a very basic text-editing application that you can use for simple documents. This program is currently used by hundreds of thousands of people as their primary resort for writing projects.

A NotePad is a simple text editor program, introduced by Microsoft in 1983, which allows users to read and write plain text. It does not offer any formatting and is most suitable when a user requires basic text for programming, creating web pages, or any other purpose. This kind of program is best suited for heavy and huge coding, like HTML. Users can create batch files to run in Command Prompt and scripts to be run in Power Shell.

This application is readily used to create unformatted text, just copy, paste & copy again. It allows users to create and save the document as .txt files only. It contains only fewer formatting option that makes the small size easily portables files.

A text editor does not support images and graphics, therefore documents created in Notepad cannot have images or any graphical text in them. Heavy, highly formatted files cannot be open in the Notepad. It can not be used for word processing, does not provide grammar checks, spelling correction, and other word processing features.

Read: Notepad Tips and Tricks.

WordPad, A basic word processor

WordPad is the basic word processor and text editor that you can use to create documents such as memos, notes, letters, and so on. This application is compatible with almost all Windows versions. It is more advanced than Notepad but simpler than Microsoft Word.

WordPad can be defined as a better text editor used, preferred over Notepad for providing more than plain text. Though it is heavier than a notepad to open but more convenient than MS word and helps users to create documents like letters, essays, notes, and posters. WordPad program consists of a toolbar, status bar, menu bar, page layout options.

Users can easily create a document and save it as .txt using a WordPad. Moreover, it supports files in .txt, .doc and .odt format. It also allows users to insert images, hyperlinks, and dates. Unlike Notepad, WordPad supports graphics and offers formatting features to the user.

However, WordPad does not offer all kinds of text formatting features as available in MS word. Also, it is not suitable for HTML files, scripts, and other program writing.

Read: How to use WordPad in Windows 10.

Notepad vs WordPad

The actual difference between Notepad and Wordpad is that the Notepad application is a basic text-editing program that you can use for simple documents, while the WordPad application helps in printing documents, including graphics and different text formatting feature.

Microsoft Word, a complete program processing engine

Microsoft Word is a word processing application developed by Microsoft. This application is a graphical word processing that is quite helpful for creating text of large volume.

Microsoft Word (often called simply Word) is a word and program processor contains all the feature to develop highly structured programs. It is one of the most widely used MS office programs used across the globe. A text-based document can be easily formatted, exploring various formatting options, and later can be saved in print or shared as per convenience. The documents can be saved as .doc, while it supports all kinds of text documents.

Word contains equipped toolbars, status bar, header and footer settings, quick access toolbars, and multiple types of file creation options. An excellent canvas for advanced text formatting, it also takes users beyond text by adding impact visuals. Create personalized documents by adding a watermark to your ideas.

Unlike Notepad and WordPad, MS word provides tools like spell checkers, grammar checkers for creating advanced writing documents. It also provides unformatted text with special paste options. Go to the next level, for all kinds of business and personal work using Word templates for making letters, invitations, brochures, posters, proposals, catalogs, flyers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10 Notepad-WordPad-and-Word.jpg
    This article Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 31, 2021

2. Wordpad ? Notepad ++ ? Why like this ?

The format for Wordpad is A4 page size. Notepad doesn't have any page size limit.

And that's why they are 2 different programs with 2 different name.

kid41212003, May 31, 2021
  3. Wordpad ? Notepad ++ ? Why like this ?

This.

Notepad is a ASCII editor (later versions also support Unicode) which was intended mostly for batch programming. Like most scripting languages, word wrapping is not appreciated. Because of this, Notepad naturally does not break a line unless it is ordered to do so by the ASCII line break or carriage return character. "Word wrapping" basically dictates to the program the line breaks and carriage returns are irrelevant to the context of the document.

Wordpad is a formatted document editor suited mostly for the rich-text format. Basically that means it can bold, italicize, underline, and change fonts and font sizes. ASCII, and by extension, Notepad, does not support formatting beyond program specifications (the files themselves do not contain any formatting information beyond the basics). Wordpad will force line breaks because Wordpad assumes the document isn't scripting; it assumes the document is for reading by human eyes.

If you are scripting (which it looks like you aren't) you should leave word wrapping off.

FordGT90Concept, May 31, 2021
  4. Silverel Win User

Wordpad ? Notepad ++ ? Why like this ?

Really good info between the two. Many people wouldn't have thought about word wrap affecting scripting, or even that you can script using notepad. Clear and detailed answers like this are the reason I come to TPU. *Rockout :rockout:

Silverel, May 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Difference Between Notepad, WordPad and Word in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Difference Between Notepad

2. Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint: Why does my report in Notepad look different if I open it on Sharepoint? The ".txt" file is first downloaded from ORACLE and then some manual changes are made to the report. The columns look well placed on my PC, but when I open the report on Sharepoint I see the columns...
  3. Fix WordPad or Notepad is missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix WordPad or Notepad is missing in Windows 10: [ATTACH]We’re all aware of the revolutionary impact Notepad has had. While there is an umpteen number of text editors these days, each one better than the next, Microsoft’s own pre-installed Notepad for Windows is where it all started. When something has been around for as...
  4. Lost NotePad and WordPad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost NotePad and WordPad: NotePad and WordPad have disappeared from my Windows 10. Hot can I recover them? I tried to add them from the store and I get this error 0x80070002. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-notepad-and-wordpad/5d960806-311f-41a2-9b1e-93e1faa5e494
  5. Cannot open Wordpad or Notepad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open Wordpad or Notepad in Windows 10: All I get is an error message "cannot open new document" and the program won't start. Anyone got any idea? none of the solutions I found online have worked....
  6. "Notepad" and "Wordpad" not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Notepad" and "Wordpad" not working: In the Start menu drawer, the applications are not showing but, if I type the app name it shows the .exe file and tried opening then, I am not being able to open the Notepad and Wordpad. While opening the Notepad application it didn't even respond and while opening Wordpad it...
  7. WordPad and Word on windows 10

WordPad and Word on windows 10: Can you use both WordPad and Word on windows 10? I'm only allowed to use one or the other in Windows 10. On Windows 7 and previous I could use both. I prefer WordPad for most things and Word when I'm typing an important letter. Thanks for any input....
  8. Notepad replaced by WordPad

Notepad replaced by WordPad: Hello, I formatted my windows and after that i got wordpad the default program for .txt files. How I can get back the default Notepad? I searched about it in the windows but seems it's not installed. Appreciete your help....
  9. word - wordpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    word - wordpad: People send me email attachments in word and they only open in wordpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-wordpad/ccb02627-34b5-4a40-858f-16b983a7756e
  10. word to wordpad

word to wordpad: I have a new computer with 10. I have not installed any word processing software and am content for the time being with Wordpad. However, all documents that I have imported into this computer show up as Word documents. When I try to open them I am informed that Microsoft will...