Windows 10: Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset?

Discus and support Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Today my laptop was infected by some kind of malware that sometimes pops some ad browsers when I'm using Chrome so I decided to completely reset my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/keon999, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset?

Today my laptop was infected by some kind of malware that sometimes pops some ad browsers when I'm using Chrome so I decided to completely reset my Windows 10. At the reset screen it shows 3 options: - keep the files - remove everything - restore factory settings Obviously I wouldn't choose to keep the files since I want to wipe my laptop clean. Because my laptop was originated Windows 8.1, restore factory settings would bring it back to Windows 8.1 and I have to spend time upgrade it back to Windows 10. Or should I choose remove the files and reset it back to the freshly new Windows 10, saving some time but not as "clean" as factory reset. Which option is more effective in removing malware, and safer in general?

submitted by /u/keon999
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/keon999, Apr 6, 2020
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, Apr 6, 2020
  3. How to perform Reset on Windows 10 to restore factory settings?

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are trying to perform reset on your PC by selecting remove everything option, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know what is the exact issue you are facing in accessing Windows 10?

I would like to inform that, if you want to reset your device back to Windows 8.1, you will have to perform reset to factory settings. (Provided that the system came pre-installed with Windows 8.1)

If you perform Reset on your PC by selecting Remove everything, this will perform clean installation of Windows 10 and not Windows 8.1.

I suggest you to perform reset on your device by selecting Factory reset option to rollback to pre-installed Windows Operating System.

It is recommend you to create an external backup of all your data, as restoring to factory settings will:

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or
      Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

For more information refer: Recovery options in Windows 10

Section: Reset your PC

Option: Restore factory settings

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 6, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset?

reseting to factory settings

I am confused and wonder if you are clear on the difference between a reset and a factory restore.

A reset is a clean install of Windows 10 that you initiate from Settings > Update and Security > Recovery. A factory restore returns your computer to the way it was when it left the factory. These are two different procedures.

A reset is a Windows procedure, so you can find detailed information about it on the internet. A factory restore is a computer manufacturer procedure, so directions on how to do it are on the manufacturer's website.

Here's where it gets all messed up:

Some computer manufacturers have their own factory restore procedure that has nothing to do with Windows. You'll find directions for that on the manufacturer's website. Other computer manufacturers combine their factory restore procedure with a Windows reset.
    That's called a 'Restore factory settings' reset. However, the computer manufacturer still puts directions for this on their own website.

No matter what you do, or what it's called, all procedures have one thing in common: They erase your hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10. As long as your hardware is compatible with Windows 10, the operating system will install properly, because
    a clean install on compatible hardware always works.

BulldogXX, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset?

1. Difference between "remove everything" and "restore factory settings" on Windows 10 reset? - Similar Threads - Difference between remove

2. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?: How to do either? Im not seeing any option to choose one them! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-reset-os-from-factory/ed6b489f-8404-4027-8285-e9882223abda
  3. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?: How to do either? Im not seeing any option to choose one them! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-reset-os-from-factory/ed6b489f-8404-4027-8285-e9882223abda
  4. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Restoring Windows 10 to Factory Settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Windows 10 to Factory Settings.: Hi,A friend in his nineties is attempting to restore his Windows 10 computer to its original settings. He lives well over a hundred miles away so my advice has been via emails and links to online websites. He started the process today but has hit a snag after everything was...
  6. Restoring Windows 10 to Factory Settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Windows 10 to Factory Settings.: Hi,A friend in his nineties is attempting to restore his Windows 10 computer to its original settings. He lives well over a hundred miles away so my advice has been via emails and links to online websites. He started the process today but has hit a snag after everything was...
  7. Restoring Windows 10 to Factory Settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Is there a difference between formatting windows and restoring it ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a difference between formatting windows and restoring it ?: What is better, a zero installation of windows, or restore the system using restore point? I did a clean installation of windows and created a restore point, if o go back to that point will it be the same as if I had a clean installation? submitted by /u/TLukas123 [link]...
  9. Restore/Remove Everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore/Remove Everything: Restore/Remove Everything doesn't work. I go through the process, taking some minutes to run, and end with a message that says windows was unable to perform the function. I've removed things like anti-viurs and other things that I though might be blocking the process, but...
  10. What is the difference between a factory reset and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between a factory reset and...: What is the difference between a factory reset and (I understand what a factory reset is) and creating a new user administrator and then deleting an old user administrator leaving only the new user. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks 132232