Windows 10: Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

Discus and support Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

Hello,

I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10
    And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p.
    What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown?

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Feb 4, 2016

2. Windows 10 shuts down with no warning

Since install of 10 I have had my laptop shutdown with no warning. I was running different programs during each shutdown. It was on several random days between the problems. Ideas?

DwightDexter, Feb 4, 2016
  3. PhaniKD Win User
    Power Off options in Windows 10

What is the difference between "Win X Menu Shutdown(Start Menu right click)" to "Shutdown from Start Menu(Start Menu -> Power -> Shutdown". Why Microsoft has chosen to keep two ways of same functionality as both will use same number of Clicks to perform
    any operation.

PhaniKD, Feb 4, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

hello, the /p will stop and tell you have programs running ,and to close them before shutting down . /s will just shutdown with no warning messages if apps are running or if you a text file or such open that you might be working on ..that's the way I read it anyway

caperjack, Feb 4, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Open Admin command and type: shutdown /?

/p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    option 8 says different .not sure why .

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ? - Similar Threads - Difference between shutdown

2. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  3. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  4. Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10: I have several generations of computers and most of my important files are stored on the old one as it's easier to use a share than to migrate them.As such I've enabled remote shutdown, and tend to use a batch file when I'm done using my computers to issue a "shutdown -s -m...
  5. Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer

Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer: What are the main differences in the way shutdown /s and Stop-Computer work? Was there any change in the recent updates that caused 'shutdown /s' to work differently. I couldn't find anything here:...
  6. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?: just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both options clean boot, or is it switched around ? submitted by /u/Vulpera_is_coming [link] [comments]...
  7. Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open Shell's shutdown procedure is not the same as Window 10's shutdown: I use Open Shell (the Windows 7-like start menu replacement). The shutdown button there is different from the default Windows 10 shutdown. First off, it doesn't ask for confirmation to shutdown. More importantly, once you shutdown and start the computer again, programs do not...
  8. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  9. How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?: Basically what's on the title, if a regular shutdown leads to the system hanging for a long time during the process, is there any way I can automatically dispatch a `shutdown /p` command? I've tried it using a timer in a Powershell script, set as the shutdown script in...
  10. What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?: I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows: ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00 However since switching to Win10 when I click that shutdown icon, Win10 can take a long time to shutdown. But if I press (win+x) and then do a shutdown...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shutdown /p vs /s

2. difference between shutdown /s and s windows

3. what is the differenc between command shutdown and start menu

4. shutdown /p vs shutdown /s