Windows 10: Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer

Discus and support Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What are the main differences in the way shutdown /s and Stop-Computer work? Was there any change in the recent updates that caused 'shutdown /s' to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Prayank, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Prayank Win User

Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer

What are the main differences in the way shutdown /s and Stop-Computer work? Was there any change in the recent updates that caused 'shutdown /s' to work differently. I couldn't find anything here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ber-2020/0274dd2e-a83f-4de4-be75-c17b45fbcc26

As mentioned by Hennadii it seems that 'shutdown /s' does not notify desktop apps with WM_QUERYENDSESSION message.

Was this changed recently or its expected in the way 'shutdown /s' works? Can we resolve this issue in a different way or using 'Stop-Computer' PowerShell command the only accepted answer for this question?: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/q...shutting-down-when-windows-cleanly-shuts-down

:)

Prayank, Oct 3, 2020

2. The computer shutdown itself restart?

Hi Tín,

A computer can shutdown based on the instructions given to its power settings. If you are using a laptop, there’s an option that when you are just closing a lid, it can shutdown your computer.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution to your concern, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What activity are you performing that may trigger to shutdown your computer?
    • Can you provide us a screenshot of your power settings?
    • Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Unexpected Shutdown

Hi

Please see response to your questions below

• Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this issue?
    No changes other than about a month ago reinstalling W10.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Other than checking updates have successfully installed, none as not sure approach to take.

• What was the exact error code/message you have received?
    No error code or message received. On the first occasion I was looking at outlook and without any warning the PC shutdown. It was almost as if it was a desktop (it is a laptop) and the power stopped. The laptop was plugged into the mains and in addition
    the battery had a full a full charge.

On restarting the laptop no error message came up and I only noted a small difference in boot up, that for a short period a blue screen was displayed (not normally seen on boot up) and then the start screen appeared for me to log in.

As mentioned previously the only reference to this is from the log which in the summary states that there was an unexpected shutdown.

GrahamDavies571, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

1 app stopping shutdown

Yeah, it's not completely solved until you find out which app is hanging at shut down.

Does it happen if you shut down while in Safe Mode?

If not, then how did troubleshooting with a clean boot posted below go? It's a bit of a pain, but you'll have to shut down between the steps until you hopefully find a culprit.

1 app stopping shutdown - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer - Similar Threads - Difference between shutdown

2. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  3. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  4. Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10: I have several generations of computers and most of my important files are stored on the old one as it's easier to use a share than to migrate them.As such I've enabled remote shutdown, and tend to use a batch file when I'm done using my computers to issue a "shutdown -s -m...
  5. Is there a difference between Windows 10S and Windows 10 in S mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a difference between Windows 10S and Windows 10 in S mode?: and can you change out of windows 10S if there is a difference? submitted by /u/Andruwu_01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hjnu8m/is_there_a_difference_between_windows_10s_and/
  6. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  7. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?: just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both options clean boot, or is it switched around ? submitted by /u/Vulpera_is_coming [link] [comments]...
  8. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  9. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792