Windows 10: Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10

Discus and support Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have several generations of computers and most of my important files are stored on the old one as it's easier to use a share than to migrate them.As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 5, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10

I have several generations of computers and most of my important files are stored on the old one as it's easier to use a share than to migrate them.As such I've enabled remote shutdown, and tend to use a batch file when I'm done using my computers to issue a "shutdown -s -m \\comptuername" to all three computers before I goto bed. The 30 second delay also gives time to make sure all the applications such has Firefox and Thunderbird have fully closed and updated files. However, I've noticed that if I use the Start menu to shut down in Windows 10 it takes less time to log in the next time I tur

:)

SlickRCBD, Jul 5, 2021

2. Start menu looks different then before, please help

Weird, mine hasn't changed that much. Still opens with the tiles as before, the only change appears when I open the full list of apps and then instead of a vertical list at the left, it has reverted to the screen wide list that was in the pre release version

Anotheroldgit, Jul 5, 2021
  3. LAPIII Win User
    Can I rearrange shutdown options in the Start menu and Login screen

The options via the Start menu and Login screen are (in order):

• Sleep
    • Shutdown
    • Restart

I'd rather Shutdown be at the bottom to make it simpler to choose it.

LAPIII, Jul 5, 2021
  4. NickJP Win User

Shutdown from start menu now restarting

System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead, so far that has not had the same problem.

Any suggestions on why the problem with shutdown off the start menu?

NickJP, Jul 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Difference between shutdown -s and using the Start menu in win10 - Similar Threads - Difference between shutdown

2. The difference between Power Start Menu and startcallback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The difference between Power Start Menu and startcallback: Required: When opening multiple windows of the same software, I do not want them to be stacked togetherI found that there are two software on the internet: Power Start Menu and startcallback. I don't know which software is official and which software can achieve the desired...
  3. The difference between Power Start Menu and startcallback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The difference between Power Start Menu and startcallback: Required: When opening multiple windows of the same software, I do not want them to be stacked togetherI found that there are two software on the internet: Power Start Menu and startcallback. I don't know which software is official and which software can achieve the desired...
  4. Where are the Settings/Properties for Win10's Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are the Settings/Properties for Win10's Start Menu?: And what's up with all the errors when I click on All Apps, and one of the Apps?I often can't uninstall Microsoft apps even though there is an uninstall button. Its typically grayed out. Can I change the Start Menu so it doesn't look so useless? I want what it like it used to...
  5. Where are the Settings/Properties for Win10's Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are the Settings/Properties for Win10's Start Menu?: And what's up with all the errors when I click on All Apps, and one of the Apps?I often can't uninstall Microsoft apps even though there is an uninstall button. Its typically grayed out. Can I change the Start Menu so it doesn't look so useless? I want what it like it used to...
  6. Where are the Settings/Properties for Win10's Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer: What are the main differences in the way shutdown /s and Stop-Computer work? Was there any change in the recent updates that caused 'shutdown /s' to work differently. I couldn't find anything here:...
  8. Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu"

in Browsers and Email
    Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu": I have several desk top tiles(Apps) that do not work properly, when clicked on to open. Instead when they do open they automatically just default to a Microsoft search engine instead of the desired "App". To reinstall the "App" again I have to google the desired web site and...
  9. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792