Windows 10: Difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setu

Discus and support Difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Could someone explain, in clear and precise manner, the difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setup volume images of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by balubeto, May 3, 2016.

1. balubeto Win User

Difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setu

Hi

Could someone explain, in clear and precise manner, the difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setup volume images of the boot.wim file in Windows PE 10.x?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, May 3, 2016

2. What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a local account

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue and good to know that your issue has been resolved.

For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Santosh_Rai, May 3, 2016
  3. What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a local account

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

We appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

As per your query, I like to inform you that;

Microsoft Account.

When you sign in with a Microsoft account, your PC is connected to cloud storage online and:

• Your personal settings are synced to any Windows 10 device you use, including your themes, language preferences, browser favorites, and most apps.

• Your friends’ contact info and status automatically stay up to date from places like Outlook.com, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

• You can get to and share your photos, documents, and other files from places like OneDrive, Facebook, and Flickr.

Local User Account.

A local account is an account that lets you sign in to one PC only. If you create a local account, you'll need a separate account for each PC you use. None of your settings will be synchronised between
    the Windows 10 PCs you use, and you won't get the benefits of connecting your PC to your files, settings, apps and services online in the cloud that are accessible from anywhere. You also won't be able to download apps from the Windows Store without a Microsoft
    account.

For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Plain Windows PE will just load Windows PE and stop. Microsoft Windows Setup boot.wim will load Windows PE and then run setup.exe.

NavyLCDR, May 3, 2016
  5. balubeto Win User
    The setup.exe file is the one included in Microsoft Windows Media or not?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, May 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you look at your standard Windows 10 installation media - in the root folder you will find Setup.exe. In the sources folder you will find boot.wim and install.wim. When the standard Windows 10 installation media boots, it loads boot.wim - which is Windows PE. That particular build of Windows PE will then run setup.exe from the root folder. The setup.exe program than uses the Windows 10 images contained in install.wim to install Windows 10 to the target hard drive/SSD.

If you download Kyhi's recovery drive from this forum, you will find a boot.wim file in the sources directory. The build of Windows PE just loads his custom built Windows PE which just loads to the desktop and stops.

If you make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk, you will find a boot.wim file in the sources directory. That is a build of Windows PE customized by Macrium when run Macrium Reflect free after it loads.

It all depends on how the user customizes the Windows PE that they build and then compile into the boot.wim file.

NavyLCDR, May 3, 2016
  7. balubeto Win User
    In a standard Windows 10 installation:

The Microsoft Windows Setup volume image (having the boot flag) of the boot.wim file contains files that are used to start the Microsoft Windows PE volume image.

The Microsoft Windows PE volume image of the boot.wim file contains files that are used to start the setup.exe file of the Windows Setup Media files (on the physical media or LAN) that it starts Windows Setup Wizard that allows to start a full installation of Windows or an upgrade to an existing Windows system.

Right?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, May 3, 2016
  8. balubeto Win User

A curiosity:

I noticed that, in iso of Windows PE 10.x and its boot.wim, there are no executable files.

So, how does Windows PE to display a command prompt after its boot?

The only volume image of the boot.wim file has the boot flag? If so, how do I display it?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, May 4, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
  10. Kyhi Win User
    Windows PE Image Boots and then Loads the Setup Image..
    If the Setup image is not present - You just get a Command Prompt...

Since you are using the boot.wim from the setup media - both images are loaded first and flagged as booting into setup..

Took a little while for me to figure out what you where actually asking in several different forums since the Windows Vista days

11. balubeto Win User
    balubeto, May 4, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, I didn't. The exe files are inside the boot.wim image and to see them you have to mount the boot.wim file.

NavyLCDR, May 4, 2016
  13. balubeto Win User

In other words, when Microsoft Windows PE is loaded into the RAM disk, it looks for a setup.exe file in the media source.

If it does not exist, Windows PE displays the Command Prompt window.

Right?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, May 4, 2016
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Balubeto, one easy way to dissect a Windows setup iso or esd and its constituent parts is with 7-Zip.

Not only can it open Iso, Wim, Cab and other image and archive files nested within the parent archive , it can also expose files in some exe and msi compressed executable files. The properties exposed within the archive show the xml details that accompany the parent and child archives.

Windows PE systems contain many familiar executable files in common with the Windows operating system files and share a common structure.

Fafhrd, May 4, 2016
  15. Kyhi Win User
    Windows PE always loads into ram
    then since it is being used for windows setup - it loads the files needed for windows setup..
    Basically that boot.wim was customizied for windows setup

If you where to load a standard PE - PE loads and run the DOS command shell

If you load WinPESE - PE loads and starts the custom SE shell

If you load a Macrium Boot disk - PE loads and then runs the Macrium program shell

WinPE is very customizable - PE is the boot environment - the Shell PE runs after loading is what is customized

Thema:

1. Difference between the Microsoft Windows PE and Microsoft Windows Setu - Similar Threads - Difference between Microsoft

2. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  3. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?: Not a lot. I have never consented to have Bitlocker on my device and yet I have this mystery code that I am unable to access in order for me to access my own data. And yes I have tried all the useless suggestions from Microsoft. I have just had to pay £150 to have my computer...
  4. What is the difference between ransomware and Microsoft's Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is the difference between Microsoft Authenticator and 2factor for windows 10 PC?

What is the difference between Microsoft Authenticator and 2factor for windows 10 PC?: Windows store list Microsoft Authenicator and 2 Factor for window 10. What's the difference? 95% of all my tasks are on the windows PC. My impression is that Microsoft Authenicator is for smartphones or tablets? I need to install 2 factor security foe my windows PC. Note it...
  6. What is the difference between Microsoft Authenticator and 2factor for windows 10 PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between Microsoft Authenticator and 2factor for windows 10 PC?: Windows store list Microsoft Authenicator and 2 Factor for window 10. What's the difference? 95% of all my tasks are on the windows PC. My impression is that Microsoft Authenicator is for smartphones or tablets? I need to install 2 factor security foe my windows PC. Note it...
  7. What is the difference between Microsoft Authenticator and 2factor for windows 10 PC?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Minecraft PE- Microsoft Account Disconnected

Minecraft PE- Microsoft Account Disconnected: I’ve been playing Minecraft on my mobile phone for years. Just now, my friend and I were playing in my world when all of a sudden she got kicked and asked me what happened. When I checked my phone before saving and quitting the world it said "Oops! Your Microsoft Account was...
  9. difference between microsoft account and user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...
  10. difference between microsoft account and user profile

in Windows 10 Support
    difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...