Windows 10: Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt

Discus and support Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Don't these programs do essentially the same thing? Is there an advantage to use one over the other? Just curious. 119910 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Charlie210, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt

Don't these programs do essentially the same thing? Is there an advantage to use one over the other? Just curious.

:)

Charlie210, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Elevated Command prompt option replaced by Powershell

Hi All,

I am aware that, we have an option to revert to command prompt by using this option from the settings>Taskbar>

Replace Command Prompt with Windows Poweshell in the menu when i right click the start button

My question is different, when we try to open an elevated command prompt in some windows explorer - it still shows the powershell option only.

I will attach a screenshot of it. Kindly advice and guide step by step how to change the same to command prompt.

P.s : I have already changed the powershell option to command prompt in the Win+X menu - Did not helped

Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt 71b4ee99-41ba-423b-8012-2b0e252b1420.png

Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt 77a41170-f02f-4026-995d-e1bc57c1402f.png

--

Thanks in advance.

Harish T

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Harish Thiru, Oct 15, 2018
  4. cwtech Win User

Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt

1. Difference between Windows PowerShell and Command Prompt - Similar Threads - Difference between PowerShell

2. Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.: Every time I turn on my computer, these two windows open and then close by themselves after about 5 to 10 seconds.I even attempted to disable every single startup process. Even after performing a clean boot, the problem persists....
  3. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  4. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  5. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell: When I try to run SFC in powershell I'm told, cannot run repair service. It's OK in command prompt.Run as administrator in both.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-works-in-command-prompt-but-not-in-powershell/7ad20074-7d56-4cbb-a2e0-45804c1adaf5
  7. SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell: When I try to run SFC in powershell I'm told, cannot run repair service. It's OK in command prompt.Run as administrator in both.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-works-in-command-prompt-but-not-in-powershell/7ad20074-7d56-4cbb-a2e0-45804c1adaf5
  8. Difference between Command Prompt and Windows PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    Difference between Command Prompt and Windows PowerShell: [ATTACH] Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 all come shipped with Windows PowerShell out of the box. Along with that, it came the older Command Prompt which was a successor to MS-DOS Command line. But often the presence of two command [...] This post Difference between...
  9. Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell": Hi! I'm using Windows 10 version 1807, In this version, the option "Open in Command Prompt" fully removed from Explorer, in "File" menu and [Shift]+[Right Click] menu, And there's no option to get it back in Settings, only there's an option for [Alt]+[X] menu. I have to...
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838