Windows 10: Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)?

Discus and support Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1. Found that difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file). for sample attached picture .but found memory size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vtraja, Jan 26, 2019.

1. vtraja Win User

Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)?

1. Found that difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file).

for sample attached picture .but found memory size difference in all folders.

2.in the file history backup found folder $OF

:)

vtraja, Jan 26, 2019

2. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jan 26, 2019
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)?

Size of Copied Files

Shenan,

Thank you for your interest in my issue/question. I have attached a screen shot of the two files that should be exactly the same size. The image on the left, the C drive, is the original/source file. The image on the right, the D drive, is simply a copy
    from the C drive. I have two backup drives on this computer and a couple of other computers that maintain a copies of the source file. All of the copies are smaller than the source, but they are all the same size.

For what it is worth, I did this all the time with Windows XP and Windows 7 and there was never a difference in file size that I recall (I often checked the file size as a means of verifying the copy).

I am not sure about the file system or cluster size, but I believe my file system is NTFS and I am pretty sure this is the same as on XP and 7.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again!

Steve
    Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)? d219046d-81ef-43ea-88cb-e2f804638a0f.jpg

HammettEng01, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)?

1. Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)? - Similar Threads - Difference size between

2. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  3. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  4. size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D: size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-used-area-in-drive-d-is-different-from-the/dbbca956-072d-4a0f-bec1-b34c8eb55e6d
  5. size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D: size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-used-area-in-drive-d-is-different-from-the/dbbca956-072d-4a0f-bec1-b34c8eb55e6d
  6. size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D: size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-used-area-in-drive-d-is-different-from-the/6428c832-58b4-41cb-b3e0-10c1e8228074
  7. size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D: size of used area in drive D is different from the total size of folders and files in drive D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-used-area-in-drive-d-is-different-from-the/6428c832-58b4-41cb-b3e0-10c1e8228074
  8. Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working: Hi everyone: I'm trying to set up a File History backup from a Windows 10 desktop to an external 4TB hard drive. I have a large internal 1TB drive D: that I've redirected all my user folders to (documents, desktop, pictures, music, etc.) so for convenience I want to just...
  9. Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working: Hi everyone: I'm trying to set up a File History backup from a Windows 10 desktop to an external 4TB hard drive. I have a large internal 1TB drive D: that I've redirected all my user folders to (documents, desktop, pictures, music, etc.) so for convenience I want to just...
  10. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference in capacity between file history and backup