Windows 10: Difference in size of a folder with its contents

Discus and support Difference in size of a folder with its contents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello to all, I have a folder Documents and when I check its properties, Windows 10 x64 shows ~13 GB as its size. But when go within it and select all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tomyfr, Mar 9, 2019.

1. tomyfr Win User

Difference in size of a folder with its contents

Hello to all,

I have a folder Documents and when I check its properties, Windows 10 x64 shows ~13 GB as its size. But when go within it and select all contents and check for properties (from the context menu) it shows ~3 GB as all of its contents' size. I also checked the show hidden items checkbox, but no changes!

Why are these different please?

:)

tomyfr, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Difference in size of a folder with its contents - Similar Threads - Difference size folder

2. Personal folder shortcut not listing all of its contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Personal folder shortcut not listing all of its contents: Hi.I want to make a shortcut of my personal folder or add it to quick access but the results is not what I hoped for.I click on start and on the personal folder shortcut to the left edge of the menu above power, then click on address to get the address and make a shortcut.Or,...
  3. Personal folder shortcut not listing all of its contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personal folder shortcut not listing all of its contents: Hi.I want to make a shortcut of my personal folder or add it to quick access but the results is not what I hoped for.I click on start and on the personal folder shortcut to the left edge of the menu above power, then click on address to get the address and make a shortcut.Or,...
  4. Personal folder shortcut not listing all of its contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  6. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  7. Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples: One folder I checked the properties of showed 55GB of files but "Size on disk" was 300+GB... I understand how they can be different, but I'm unsure of what that much of a difference actually means. [img] Is 300GB of drive space actually being used? It seems like a...
  8. Same folder, big difference in size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Same folder, big difference in size: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about this. I have a COMPUTER folder and the original is storaged in a Hard External Disk left and I tried to copied to another folder where is located in the Desktop of a Laptop right. It passed aprox. 3 hours and 30 minuted to complete the...
  9. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    desktop is showing contents of a different folder: On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that...
  10. Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.: FreeFileSync is a respected and efficient freeware/donationware for carrying out backups of changed files (eg., documents, pictures etc.). My FreeFileSync profiles (which specify how changed files will be copied to the backup) now have Photoshop icons, both the enclosing...