Windows 10: Differences between MS upgrading tools?

Discus and support Differences between MS upgrading tools? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a desktop installation. Currently, release 1903 18632.535 build is installed and want to upgrade to 1909, but retain the installed software.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ineuw, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ineuw Win User

Differences between MS upgrading tools?

This is a desktop installation. Currently, release 1903 18632.535 build is installed and want to upgrade to 1909, but retain the installed software.

MS offered two tools, which I downloaded MediaCreationTool1909.exe (18mb) and Windows10Upgrade9252.exe (6mb ) to the Desktop.

For 30 minutes the MediaCreationTool tried and failed to install the upgrade due to some basic error. So, I created an USB installation drive just in case.

Before trying Windows10Upgrade9252 I wondered what is the difference? I have several 1903 macrium mirrors in case of a failure due damage, so my loss is working time.

:)

ineuw, Jan 8, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

The Windows10Upgrade9252.exe is the Upgrade Assistant. It basically works the same way as the 'upgrade this PC now' option in the Media Creation Tool. Both will download the install files when run, checking for updates while doing so. The main difference is that the MCT will the proceed direct to the upgrade, while the Upgrade Assist will, as I understand it, ask you to schedule a time for the upgrade.

Having used the MCT to make the install USB you now have a third option. Run the Setup.exe you'll find on the root of the usb drive to start an in-place upgrade.

As you had problems before, it may help if you turn of checking for updates during the upgrade. See Step 8 in this tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Bree, Jan 8, 2020
  3. ineuw Win User

This is a desktop installation. Currently, release 1903 18632.535 build is installed and want to upgrade to 1909, but retain the installed software.

MS offered two tools, which I downloaded MediaCreationTool1909.exe (18mb) and Windows10Upgrade9252.exe (6mb ) to the Desktop.

For 30 minutes the MediaCreationTool tried and failed to install the upgrade due to some basic error. So, I created an USB installation drive just in case.

Before trying Windows10Upgrade9252 I wondered what is the difference? I have several 1903 macrium mirrors in case of a failure due damage, so my loss is working time.

ineuw, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Wile E Win User

Handy OS X Tools and Apps

You should add VLC to that list. Plays most anything, except WMV/WMA.

And are we sticking to free tools? Cause I have suggestions for some that cost money, but are well worth it IMHO.

Wile E, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Differences between MS upgrading tools? - Similar Threads - Differences between upgrading

2. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  3. Cursor not changing between use of different Brush tools

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor not changing between use of different Brush tools: Hi, So I got this computer recently and have been keen to use Paint 3D as I did on my old one, thing is that now the grey circle doesn't appear to display the Thickness of each brush. I have no idea why to be honest, any help is appreciated. Cheers, Harry...
  4. What are differences between MS MSRT and MSERT?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What are differences between MS MSRT and MSERT?: I have usually downloaded and run MS Malicious Software Removal Tool each month per Update directions. Recently I found out about MS Safety Scanner (msert.exe), and read somewhere that it is superior to MSRT, and should be used instead. Can anyone shed any light on this pair...
  5. CPU temp differs between tools

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU temp differs between tools: Core Temp is reporting a stable 55 degrees Celsius, whereas my BIOS is reporting 75-80 degrees Celsius. Should I be concerned here? I have not had any system crashes due to overheating or any freezes for that matter. Thanks! :) > PC Specifications CPU: AMD Athlon X4...
  6. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf
  7. What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade

in Windows 10 News
    What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade: [ATTACH] When it comes to Windows OS, Update and Upgrade terms may be confusing to some. Every time Microsoft rolls out a set of new features, many of us think its an upgrade while it could have been an update only. [...] This post What is the difference between Windows...
  8. Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?: When I got the update for my Windows 10 Pro 10240 build 10240, the update were mentioned as Wondows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586. But when the updates were downloaded and installed, I looked into system information which mentioned as Windows 10 Pro 10586 build 10586. Are these...
  9. What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?: I don't fully understand the difference between some backup tools included in Windows 10. There is File History. I think this makes backup of my user data files. It allows me to retrieve an earlier version of a user file. It appears to keep many older versions. The history...
  10. Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool: Hey all, Just as the title says, what is the difference between TechBench: Tech Bench and the regular Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ? Thanks! 30722