Windows 10: Differences in format of DOS command results

Discus and support Differences in format of DOS command results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, so I am doing some stuff in DOS, not geeky stuff but playing around. I have two computers that I can use, both with W10. So, I do a 'DIR' command,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ALANGR, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ALANGR Win User

Differences in format of DOS command results

OK, so I am doing some stuff in DOS, not geeky stuff but playing around. I have two computers that I can use, both with W10. So, I do a 'DIR' command, saving to a file, and then look at it. Then same again on the other computer.

It annoys me that the format of the results is not the same; specifically, there is a shift of one position/character in the file listings. I am wondering why this is happening as it is annoying.

I realise that this could possibly be due to a W10 setting but have not been able to find out what that might be.

Any ideas anyone? I cannot believe that this is a 'real' difference between the two W10 versions!

:)

ALANGR, Aug 31, 2016

2. DOS command in Window 10

Does DOS command XCOPY work in Windows 10

DavidBlakesley, Aug 31, 2016
  3. DOS command in Window 10

Yes, it does, as do all other commands from Windows NT / 2000 / XP / Win8 / Vista / Win10. Except that DOS disappeared 17 years ago with Windows ME. The commands are now called "console commands".

BTW - Why didn't you just try the xcopy command yourself? Much faster than posting here and waiting for an answer . . .

Frederik Long, Aug 31, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Not clear what the difference is. Windows CMD isn't exactly the same as MS-DOS which loaded command.com Windows now loads CMD.exe you can use switch's like dir /w dir / w etc

Samuria, Aug 31, 2016
  5. rossnixon Win User
    Have a copy of the folder on both computers.
    Run your dir {parameters} >list.txt command on both, outputting to a text files - say list1.txt & list2.txt

Compare the two files using a command like the following:
    fc /b list1.txt list2.txt

You should get:
    Comparing files list1.txt and list2.txt
    FC: no differences encountered

If your display shows them differently, it will be a font and type size issue... maybe even screen resolution.

rossnixon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Differences in format of DOS command results - Similar Threads - Differences format DOS

2. DOS Command Line maybe.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DOS Command Line maybe.: I have a directory with filenames “Photo001.jpg” thru “Photo099.jpg”. Using Windows 11.How can I easily add an “AV-“ prefix to each file name in the directory without changing anything else in the filename?Thanks...
  3. DOS Command Line maybe.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DOS Command Line maybe.: I have a directory with filenames “Photo001.jpg” thru “Photo099.jpg”. Using Windows 11.How can I easily add an “AV-“ prefix to each file name in the directory without changing anything else in the filename?Thanks...
  4. Am I using correct DOS commands?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Am I using correct DOS commands?: Hi, my PC is running Windows 10. I am trying to copy a list of 750 files which look like xxxxx.mp3 from one location on my D: hard drive to an empty folder My50s I created on my C: Desktop. I have tried in DOS command xcopy D:\CD’s\21437.mp3 C:\Desktop\My50s The command does...
  5. Am I using correct DOS commands?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Am I using correct DOS commands?: Hi, my PC is running Windows 10. I am trying to copy a list of 750 files which look like xxxxx.mp3 from one location on my D: hard drive to an empty folder My50s I created on my C: Desktop. I have tried in DOS command xcopy D:\CD’s\21437.mp3 C:\Desktop\My50s The command does...
  6. Am I using correct DOS commands?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. DOS format command

DOS format command: DOS format command -- a few questions 1 Format /p:2 would do an initial sector zero-fill followed by 2 random fills. What's in a random fill? Is it a sector-long string of a single non-zero character, or a random string of different characters e.g. x'7f38e2 ...'? 2 Is there...
  8. DOS Command issued from Batch file

DOS Command issued from Batch file: I have been running a batch file to list my personal file, and output the listing to a text file in a folder dv7. I then use the text file to compare to files on another computer or external drive, as backup. For some reason it no longer works. The command in the BAT file...
  9. PowerShell "Get-Command -Verb Get" format different from documentation

PowerShell "Get-Command -Verb Get" format different from documentation: According to the documentation for PowerShell 6, the PowerShell command "Get-Command -Verb Get" should output a format similar to: CommandType Name Definition ----------- ---- ---------- Cmdlet Get-Acl...
  10. HDD Format result

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format result: Last week I/we replaced an old 2.5 inch SATA HDD (500gb) with a Samsung 850 EVO, also 500gb. Laptop and all installed items are company supplied and company owned. Instruction memo from IT Dept. suggested using the removed HDD as a portable HDD by enclosing same in a SATA...