Windows 10: Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

Discus and support Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by timlab55, Dec 28, 2019.

1. timlab55 Win User

Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the Gen 3 and my graphics card in the Gen 2. Wow what a differences in speed. Boot time is nothing now, downloads are simple a thing of the past when I did this. I've attached a picture of the differences between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 speed test.

:)

timlab55, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Sam3000 Win User

Why is my USB 3.1 gen 2 adapter (USB C Female to USB A Male) causing bottlenecking?

I recently picked up an SSD and enclosure with a built in USB Cable. CrystalDiskMark shows a >500MB/s read speed and >400MB/s write speed with a direct USB C connection to a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, so all good here.

But I also picked up these adaptors from amazon.co.uk to ensure I could connect the drive to more common USB type A ports. These adapters noted that they could handle the 10Gbit speeds of USB 3.1 gen 2, although they do note that when this is the case the "other side" (Type A side) runs at USB 2 speeds. Out of a lack of options I decided to give them a go nonetheless and the claim is true. But it's not as simple as saying "these must really just be USB 2 adaptors with a blue finish".

When using the adapter to connect the drive to a front panel USB 3.1 gen 1 port connected to the USB 3 motherboard header, the speeds are ~300MB/s and 400MB/s read and write respectively. So the adapter can handle high throughput but just can't when used in gen 1 or 2 ports on the IO panel of the motherboard itself. Maybe this is a motherboard issue...

Edit: Just verified this across 2 Desktop systems:

• Rear Motherboard IO (USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2) with adapter: ~40BM/s
      R/W
    • Rear Motherboard USB C with no adapter ~500MB/s R and ~400MB/s W
      (full speed)
    • Front panel IO connected to motherboard USB 3 header (gen 1) with
      adapter ~200MB/s R ~400MB/s W

What am I missing here? I have found only one adapter available that clearly states it has 10Gbit ports at either end but it's pricey so any alternative suggestions are welcome. Notably, it has a significant rectangle shape at the USB C side, maybe this is part of the explanation...? See below:

Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 Z1QHv.jpg

Sam3000, Dec 28, 2019
  3. When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2

When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2

CopywriterLP, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Phone Man Win User

USB 3.1 Gen 2 header

That header is a 20-pin and is 3.1 Gen 2 and was designed to connect to the front of the case but should work with bracket bobkn linked to.

On the rear of the MB you have three 3.2 Gen 2 A connectors and one 3.2 Gen 2 C connector.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 - Similar Threads - Differences Gen Gen

2. LENOVO T14 GEN 3.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LENOVO T14 GEN 3.: After installing windows and necessary drivers into my new Lenovo t14 gen 3, I then encrypt my hard drive with symantec endpoint encryption, after restarting the machine it then refuses to boot into windows....
  3. LENOVO T14 GEN 3.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LENOVO T14 GEN 3.: After installing windows and necessary drivers into my new Lenovo t14 gen 3, I then encrypt my hard drive with symantec endpoint encryption, after restarting the machine it then refuses to boot into windows....
  4. LENOVO T14 GEN 3.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 10Gb/s and gen 2*2 20Gb/s by c# code?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 10Gb/s and gen 2*2 20Gb/s by c# code?: We have a device and a new PC both support USB 3.2 gen 2*2, the transfer speed is about 1GB per second, it's faster than USB 3.2 gen 2.I want to know how to distinguish it with USB 3.2 Gen 2, the difference is Gen 2 use single lane, and Gen 2*2 use double lane.But how to get...
  6. How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 10Gb/s and gen 2*2 20Gb/s by c# code?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 10Gb/s and gen 2*2 20Gb/s by c# code?: We have a device and a new PC both support USB 3.2 gen 2*2, the transfer speed is about 1GB per second, it's faster than USB 3.2 gen 2.I want to know how to distinguish it with USB 3.2 Gen 2, the difference is Gen 2 use single lane, and Gen 2*2 use double lane.But how to get...
  7. How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 10Gb/s and gen 2*2 20Gb/s by c# code?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking: Hi folks might be simple answer but I'm not so experienced in HYPER-V. Created a Gen 2 W11 machine (the leaked iso version) on W10 HOST which seems OK -- I wanted to test TPM and secure boot enabled while not actually enabling the physical TPM. The TPM test was fine. That...
  9. M.2 NVME pcie gen 4

M.2 NVME pcie gen 4: Does anybody know if Samsung is releasing a Gen 4 PCIe NVME SSD? I'm just wondering. 157061
  10. USB 3.1 Gen 2 header

USB 3.1 Gen 2 header: I'd like to add a USB 3.1 Gen 2 header to my computer, As the pic shows, the case is pretty open and mounting a header, if that is the right term, should be fairly easy. The "front" of the case, where I sit, on the left. I have looked around Google, found a few ideas, but...