Windows 10: Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

Discus and support Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by timlab55, Dec 28, 2019.

1. timlab55 Win User

Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the Gen 3 and my graphics card in the Gen 2. Wow what a differences in speed. Boot time is nothing now, downloads are simple a thing of the past when I did this. I've attached a picture of the differences between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 speed test.

:)

timlab55, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Sam3000 Win User

Why is my USB 3.1 gen 2 adapter (USB C Female to USB A Male) causing bottlenecking?

I recently picked up an SSD and enclosure with a built in USB Cable. CrystalDiskMark shows a >500MB/s read speed and >400MB/s write speed with a direct USB C connection to a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, so all good here.

But I also picked up these adaptors from amazon.co.uk to ensure I could connect the drive to more common USB type A ports. These adapters noted that they could handle the 10Gbit speeds of USB 3.1 gen 2, although they do note that when this is the case the "other side" (Type A side) runs at USB 2 speeds. Out of a lack of options I decided to give them a go nonetheless and the claim is true. But it's not as simple as saying "these must really just be USB 2 adaptors with a blue finish".

When using the adapter to connect the drive to a front panel USB 3.1 gen 1 port connected to the USB 3 motherboard header, the speeds are ~300MB/s and 400MB/s read and write respectively. So the adapter can handle high throughput but just can't when used in gen 1 or 2 ports on the IO panel of the motherboard itself. Maybe this is a motherboard issue...

Edit: Just verified this across 2 Desktop systems:

• Rear Motherboard IO (USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2) with adapter: ~40BM/s
      R/W
    • Rear Motherboard USB C with no adapter ~500MB/s R and ~400MB/s W
      (full speed)
    • Front panel IO connected to motherboard USB 3 header (gen 1) with
      adapter ~200MB/s R ~400MB/s W

What am I missing here? I have found only one adapter available that clearly states it has 10Gbit ports at either end but it's pricey so any alternative suggestions are welcome. Notably, it has a significant rectangle shape at the USB C side, maybe this is part of the explanation...? See below:

Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 Z1QHv.jpg

Sam3000, Dec 28, 2019
  3. When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2

When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2

CopywriterLP, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Phone Man Win User

USB 3.1 Gen 2 header

That header is a 20-pin and is 3.1 Gen 2 and was designed to connect to the front of the case but should work with bracket bobkn linked to.

On the rear of the MB you have three 3.2 Gen 2 A connectors and one 3.2 Gen 2 C connector.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3 - Similar Threads - Differences Gen Gen

2. Windows Sever 2016 Gen 2 not loading in Hyoer V Manager

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows Sever 2016 Gen 2 not loading in Hyoer V Manager: Hi guys, I am trying to run Windows server 2016 as Gen 2 and i am getting this few error when i try to connect. Can any one please help with me with this issue. Thank You 156686
  3. M.2 NVME pcie gen 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 NVME pcie gen 4: Does anybody know if Samsung is releasing a Gen 4 PCIe NVME SSD? I'm just wondering. 157061
  4. Intel 10th Gen - Instant on not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intel 10th Gen - Instant on not working: Just got a Surface Laptop 3, and was excited about the instant on feature as shown here. The instant on works for me after having the SL3 asleep for short periods, but after having it asleep overnight it seems like it must be hibernating because when I open it the next day I...
  5. When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2

When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2: When will Microsoft Store stock Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-store-stock-thinkpad-p1-gen-2/0f207a33-ceac-4f0e-b0bd-0c75a5cb2760
  6. USB 3.1 Gen 2 header

USB 3.1 Gen 2 header: I'd like to add a USB 3.1 Gen 2 header to my computer, As the pic shows, the case is pretty open and mounting a header, if that is the right term, should be fairly easy. The "front" of the case, where I sit, on the left. I have looked around Google, found a few ideas, but...
  7. IPod nano. gen 4

IPod nano. gen 4: Hi There, I have an I pod 4th gen that I have just found. but my PC is not recognizing it when I plug it in. I realize that there is no drivers or software for it on the PC. Is there any other software on the Web that may help me be able to start using the Ipod again? Also...
  8. USB 3.1 (gen. X)

USB 3.1 (gen. X): Read a lot old posts before 2018 about using 3.1 not possible. Is now August 2018 a driver available/usable? (Have a External 1 Tb usb disk, like to use it on my otherwise useless C port). Frank Netherlands...
  9. HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8

HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8: Hi folks I've just upgraded one of my 2 aging HP Gen 8 Microservers with the Gen 10 model -- I love the small cube micro size of these servers. The new Gen 10 has a significantly more powerful processor, more RAM can be allocated up to 32 GB (the Gen 8 had a Max of...
  10. Gen q. about Avatars

in Windows 10 Support
    Gen q. about Avatars: I changed my Avatar online in Xbox live but on the computer it still shows the kid with the black shirt. Online I have the blue shirt and have made other changes. It is no big deal but shouldn't they both be the same? 21394