Windows 10: Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?

Discus and support Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I setup the following columns as default for all (new) folders: Name, Size, Date modified Now I created a new folder with the name "work". Yes, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pstein, Oct 8, 2020.

1. pstein Win User

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?

I setup the following columns as default for all (new) folders:

Name, Size, Date modified

Now I created a new folder with the name "work".

Yes, all columns are set accordingly.

Now I rename the folder to "_work" and the shown folders are automatically changed to

Name, Date, Type, Size, Length

I think Win10 wants to put some "intelligence" on the folder setup. Why for "_work"?

Is the underscore an indicator for something? Maybe Win10 remembers some media files which are placed in such folder in the past?

Ok, I could adjust the columns manually. But I don't want this.

ALL folders should be automatically set to my previously defined one-and-only folder-column template.

No "smart" auto-adjustments by Win10 depending on the content should take place.

How can I achieve this?

:)

pstein, Oct 8, 2020
  2. stuporter Win User

add personal column names in folder

Hi there,

I would like to add my own columns / headings within a folder and then be able to populate that column with specific information for files within this folder and would like to know if this is possible in Windows 10. Windows offers many options for column
    names, however those that I require are not in the list, and even if they were, it does not appear that I could add my own information. Please advise if this is possible. Thx.

stuporter, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, Oct 8, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows Explorer List view columns are too wide - can they be adjusted

I think the way it works is that the columns are set to fully accommodate the folder with the longest name, so that name is shown in its entirety.

I've examined a couple of folders containing files and folders with long names, and in both cases whilst some file names are not fully displayed, the longest folder name is.

@Homme Crabe - is that what you observe?

But now I've tried this a few times, I realise that actually it's more complex. Whether you see the list view spaced like that depends on your route to viewing the same folder in list view. Thus I can see two different spacings for the same folder in list view depending on what view preceded it:

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? [​IMG]

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? - Similar Threads - Different columns FileExplorer

2. group fileexplorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    group fileexplorer: hallo, iam looking for an systemwide solution forever and not partial and not for moment/session.... i want to disable the nagging, useless and Z-worthing grouping View of files for all actions: fileexplorer open dialog savas dialog pls do not answer:...
  3. Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a...

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a...: Hello, sometimes I notice that the folder layout in Windows Explorer doesn't look the way I set it up. For example, these are screenshots of the Download folder opening it in two different ways: This PC > Downloads [ATTACH] This PC > C: > Users > User.Account>...
  4. Add column to folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add column to folder: Is it possible to add a column to a folder, that can be typed in, like when using a table? Thank you 159861
  5. Windows Folder default Columns

Windows Folder default Columns: When I create a new folder in Windows 10, the default columns are Name / Date Modified / Type / Size . Is there away to change the default columns ? I would like to have other columns automatically instead of having to add them manually. Thanks, Robert...
  6. Play on a different speaker depending window's location on monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Play on a different speaker depending window's location on monitor: Alright, my question is pretty simple but I'm sure the answer will be extremely complex. Basically, I have a two monitor setup, and I own the SteelSeries Arctis 5 headset which allows me to use two speakers and tune their volume up and down with a small controller (One...
  7. Choosing columns for files in a folder

Choosing columns for files in a folder: I want to choose the mp3 file columns in all the folders without doing it one at a time for each folderc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choosing-columns-for-files-in-a-folder/4afc9f5a-f8b6-4da4-9f3b-2d22aabf4399"
  8. Favorites/Folders column viewing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites/Folders column viewing: I am trying to have my Favorites/Folders column to be already open and viewable when I open my Outlook inbox mail. The above column also shows all the folders I have composed, etc. I would like it to stay open all the time. Right now my inbox mail list takes up the whole...
  9. Different installs - different user names

in Windows 10 Support
    Different installs - different user names: Over time I had a few retail licenses for Windows 7(seven) Pro and one Windows 10 x64 retail. In the Windows Explorer->Help->About, they show different users under licensed to. One old (blabla at hotmail) and one new (blabla at outlook.com) They are both correct. I don't...
  10. Powershell displays different folder names than GUI

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell displays different folder names than GUI: Hi, I have just installed Windows 10 and the following problem occured: Ihave set Polish language as the language of the OS but when I am trying to view my files in Powershell the default folders (Users, Pictures, etc.) are all in English (while in GUI I can see only...