Windows 10: Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?

Discus and support Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I setup the following columns as default for all (new) folders: Name, Size, Date modified Now I created a new folder with the name "work". Yes, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pstein, Oct 8, 2020.

1. pstein Win User

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?

I setup the following columns as default for all (new) folders:

Name, Size, Date modified

Now I created a new folder with the name "work".

Yes, all columns are set accordingly.

Now I rename the folder to "_work" and the shown folders are automatically changed to

Name, Date, Type, Size, Length

I think Win10 wants to put some "intelligence" on the folder setup. Why for "_work"?

Is the underscore an indicator for something? Maybe Win10 remembers some media files which are placed in such folder in the past?

Ok, I could adjust the columns manually. But I don't want this.

ALL folders should be automatically set to my previously defined one-and-only folder-column template.

No "smart" auto-adjustments by Win10 depending on the content should take place.

How can I achieve this?

:)

pstein, Oct 8, 2020
  2. stuporter Win User

add personal column names in folder

Hi there,

I would like to add my own columns / headings within a folder and then be able to populate that column with specific information for files within this folder and would like to know if this is possible in Windows 10. Windows offers many options for column
    names, however those that I require are not in the list, and even if they were, it does not appear that I could add my own information. Please advise if this is possible. Thx.

stuporter, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, Oct 8, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows Explorer List view columns are too wide - can they be adjusted

I think the way it works is that the columns are set to fully accommodate the folder with the longest name, so that name is shown in its entirety.

I've examined a couple of folders containing files and folders with long names, and in both cases whilst some file names are not fully displayed, the longest folder name is.

@Homme Crabe - is that what you observe?

But now I've tried this a few times, I realise that actually it's more complex. Whether you see the list view spaced like that depends on your route to viewing the same folder in list view. Thus I can see two different spacings for the same folder in list view depending on what view preceded it:

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? [​IMG]

Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name? - Similar Threads - Different columns FileExplorer

2. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet speed is different depending on accounts: I have a problem where the internet is slower on my account, however the other accounts have normal and faster speeds.There are 2 accounts on my PC. The default admin account and my account, also set to have admin settings enabled.When I'm on the admin account the internet...
  3. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet speed is different depending on accounts: I have a problem where the internet is slower on my account, however the other accounts have normal and faster speeds.There are 2 accounts on my PC. The default admin account and my account, also set to have admin settings enabled.When I'm on the admin account the internet...
  4. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. same named folder with different logo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same named folder with different logo: there are 2 music folder with different logo...i have tried to change the location of these folder, but when i tried to restore the folder to default location it happened..how to fix it now?...
  6. same named folder with different logo

same named folder with different logo: there are 2 music folder with different logo...i have tried to change the location of these folder, but when i tried to restore the folder to default location it happened..how to fix it now?...
  7. same named folder with different logo

8. Number of Folder columns

Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  9. group fileexplorer

group fileexplorer: hallo, iam looking for an systemwide solution forever and not partial and not for moment/session.... i want to disable the nagging, useless and Z-worthing grouping View of files for all actions: fileexplorer open dialog savas dialog pls do not answer:...
  10. Add column to folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add column to folder: Is it possible to add a column to a folder, that can be typed in, like when using a table? Thank you 159861