Windows 10: Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

Discus and support Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So, obviously with AD you can set someone's logon name to be first.last, but have their displayed name be Last, First. How to go about doing this on a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dacrone, Jun 9, 2021.

1. dacrone Win User

Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

So, obviously with AD you can set someone's logon name to be first.last, but have their displayed name be Last, First. How to go about doing this on a stand-alone Win 10 Pro not on a domain or workgroup. Am I missing something? Thanks.

:)

dacrone, Jun 9, 2021
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Display Name vs Profile user name?

I think:

Press Win+R to open a run dialog box. Run:
    netplwiz

Click on the user name to highlight it in the list of users. Click on the properties button. In the properties Windows, enter your desired "Full Name". Click OK and OK. I believe "Full Name" will then be displayed on the logon screen.

NavyLCDR, Jun 9, 2021
  3. Display Name vs Profile user name?

I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is also displayed on the Windows logon screen.

Is there way to add my First and Last name as the display name to the Windows logon screen and have the one with the mixed letters and numbers used only as the user profile folder?

For example:

On the Windows logon screen I want to show my First and Last name as my display name.
    Then, my username with the random mixed letters and numbers would only be used as my Users Profile folder.

I would pretty much guess this would be only used for domain-joined machines. But I do not know, that is why I am asking.
    Think this is only used in Active Directory where a users Display Name would be on the Windows logon screen and then a username is generated and that would be only used for the user's profile setting.

Hope this makes sense.

win10freak, Jun 9, 2021
  4. Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

My name is wrongly displayed in "To" address

Hi,

There is a possibility that your email address was already added to your contacts using a different name. To address this issue, let us look into your People app to update the entry. Follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows key and click All apps.
    • Locate the People app and click it.
    • Search for the wrong display name.
    • When the name appears, right-click anywhere on the screen, then click
      Edit
    • Input the correct name, then click Save.

Once done, try sending an email and let's see if the display name has been updated.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

1. Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible? - Similar Threads - Different Display Name

2. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  3. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  4. Is Display name the same as your Profile name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Display name the same as your Profile name: Is your display name the same as your profile name your profile name next to your avatar, when customer need to ask the Community a question? I only have one email Microsoft account. Sometimes the name next to the avatar is Ruth, sometimes Ruth 53. My full name for my account...
  5. Storage device names: FileSystem names vs BIOS names vs Settings->Devices names?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage device names: FileSystem names vs BIOS names vs Settings->Devices names?: The hardware storage devices on my computer have three names: File Explorer program gives them a name; during boot-up the BIOS program gives them a name; when I purchased them the hardware manufacturer gave them a name. I am utterly unable to equate these names, so that I...
  6. Wrong profile name displayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong profile name displayed: Hi, i noticed at times that windows has my son's name listed with his email for example at the top of the settings dashboard? Is that because he has somewhere logged in to his microsoft account on my desktop. How do i get rid of this and display my own details? Thank you....
  7. Profile name

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Profile name: why does Microsoft change my profile name to IT DEPT for no reason? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/profile-name/8b7ecd4e-5053-4967-8fd8-e71f3ae38178
  8. Profile name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Profile name: How do I change the name in my user profile? David https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/profile-name/ec492152-1f64-4b5b-b7ab-10640280e743
  9. Getting different User Profile name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting different User Profile name: Today, I was cleaning the temp folder when i noticed that my user profile name is different. It should be "Surya Sengupta" however when i enter temp folder using run, i am getting "SURYAS~1". I am very much confused regarding this matter....
  10. Display Name vs Profile user name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Display Name vs Profile user name?: I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is also displayed on the Windows logon screen. Is there way to add my First and Last name as the display name to the Windows...