Windows 10: Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks

Discus and support Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have W10 Pro, Version 1803. OS build 17134.648 installed. I have two identical 2TB hard drives connected as simple drives through an Areca... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ian_Ott, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ian_Ott Win User

Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks

Hi,

I have W10 Pro, Version 1803. OS build 17134.648 installed.

I have two identical 2TB hard drives connected as simple drives through an Areca ARC-1212 Raid pcie card.

They hold identical data.

To check that, I looked at the folder properties on each drive, and that showed identical numbers of files and identical sizes for each folder

To ensure that, I created MD5 hashes for each file on each drive. The results were identical.

However, under "This PC", using the Properties / General display

one drive shows the Used Space as 1,192,530,808,832 bytes

the other drive shows the Used Space as 1,194,528,247,808 bytes

Both have the identical capacity in bytes.

Both have the same allocation size for a data block.

Any suggestions?

a) I am curious

b) I want to migrate the data to a pair of larger drives, and this all started by making sure that the same data was on both.

CHeers, Ian

:)

Ian_Ott, Mar 15, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Mar 15, 2019
  3. What should I have as backup-a RECOVERY disk or a REPAIR disk? Are these the same or different?

Got the free upgrade to Windows 10 and I need to start making some kind of a Repair/Recovery disk.

Are these the same thing? Are they different?

Can someone list the steps needed to make this/ these disk (s)?

Thank you.

Barbara

BarbaraLarnce, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks

Foreign Disk

Hi,

You will only lose the data in the Foreign Disk once you convert it to a "Basic Disk" in Disk Management.

To allow the disk to be recognized, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "Disk Management" and click on it.
    • Right-click on the foreign disk and select "Import Foreign Disks..."

Feel free to post back with more information.

Israel Arn, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks

1. Different displayed disk sizes when data held is identical on both disks - Similar Threads - Different displayed disk

2. Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained

in Windows 10 News
    Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained: [IMG]You can view the actual size of your file by opening file properties in File Explorer. If you have ever noticed, file properties show two different types of sizes for the same file, namely, Size and Size on disk. The Size on disk is usually larger than the actual file...
  3. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  5. What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...: [This question has been answered. Thanks to Carlo. Please Answer 1 more question that is below]My E drive Not a system drive is showing 4.61GB size. But, it's showing 4.62GB size on disk. What's the difference between these? Actually in another drive the difference is 3GB...
  6. Disk Size

Disk Size: I have an 8 TB WD external hard drive. I am using it plugged in to my router, like a "poor man's NAS" I guess. My router recognizes it as an 8 TB drive. I can plug it directly into the USB of any of my Windows 10 machines and Windows sees it as an 8 TB drive. However, when...
  7. Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples: One folder I checked the properties of showed 55GB of files but "Size on disk" was 300+GB... I understand how they can be different, but I'm unsure of what that much of a difference actually means. [img] Is 300GB of drive space actually being used? It seems like a...
  8. Size and Size on disk

Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  9. Can Windows have different account with different data disk?

Can Windows have different account with different data disk?: I need to create an account for my Family. Can you help me on how to create Family/Local account with different PC data disk example: [Windows (C:) , Data (D:)]. I've tried to create an account but Family/Local account have full access to Admin data disk. Can Windows have...
  10. Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space: My company is test driving Intel Nuc Mini PCs to power digital sign boards. The two I have currently is for testing - if it works out well, we'll buy more. Anyhow, out of the box, I installed the 300+ updates. The SSD is only 32GB so I had to connect a USB drive to download...