Windows 10: Different drive selected as system?

Discus and support Different drive selected as system? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a my C drive which is the boot drive, which is how it should be. My F drive is a small SSD that I install some games on and I want to format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Krytern, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Krytern Win User

Different drive selected as system?

So I have a my C drive which is the boot drive, which is how it should be. My F drive is a small SSD that I install some games on and I want to format it but Windows won't let me which is strange because I can usually format it just fine. I go into the command prompt and use disk part and disk part is telling me that the volume on the F drive is marked as "system". I do not want this, I never want this, I have a specific use for the drive and I format it regularly. How do I change this and why did Windows do this without asking me?

:)

Krytern, Jun 22, 2020
  2. A Monell Win User

confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Different drive selected as system?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Different drive selected as system?

1. Different drive selected as system? - Similar Threads - Different drive selected

2. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  3. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  4. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  5. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Access system configuration from a different drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access system configuration from a different drive?: Hello,After performing a clean boot on my SSD using Windows guide and restarting my computer, I was no longer able to login because my password was supposedly incorrect. Looking back at the guide, I realized I disabled all services including Windows services so I figured that...
  7. Selecting different ISP for different programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Selecting different ISP for different programs: Hi community. There is any way to select one specific ISP for a determinate .exe when you have two differents ISP at the same time? [ATTACH] Hola comunidad. Hay alguna manera de seleccionar un ISP especifico para un .exe cuando tienes dos ISP al mismo tiempo?...
  8. Message "Select a different File History Drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Message "Select a different File History Drive": I've been getting the above message recently saying the the external drive I use is full, although my File History settings are that files should be kept until space is needed... Is there anything else I should do? Thanks....
  9. Win10 cloning a drive under different system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 cloning a drive under different system: I have a win10 fresh install on an HP pavillion laptop (1tb)drive and i added a second drive( 250g) with my old OS (vista64 home) Now i want to move the 250 gigs of my old system to the new drive but I dont want it to boot to the old os.I want it to still boot with WIN10...
  10. System/Boot files on different drives

in Windows 10 Support
    System/Boot files on different drives: New to these forums and hoping someone can help with my issue. I have a homebuilt machine that had Win7 ultimate running on a 150GB HDD. I cloned it some time ago to a 500 GB HDD. Then I changed to Win10 Pro (first upgraded to Win8 and then immediately to Win10) and all...