Windows 10: Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network

Discus and support Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was using my computer normally, transferring lots of data due to YouTube usage etc. Suddenly my mobile network operator sends a text message saying I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimhoyle, May 16, 2019.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network

I was using my computer normally, transferring lots of data due to YouTube usage etc. Suddenly my mobile network operator sends a text message saying I have used over 25 GB per this month. I was surprised. Then I realized that as soon as I had connected my iPhone to my computer (just to charge it), Windows 10 had started using the phone's network. So I found out that Windows 10 Settings / Data usage has "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 4". Also, Ethernet (above Data usage) has "Network" and "Network 3". Very confusing. Apparently "Network 3" is effectively the same as "Ethernet 4".

When I hover mouse cursor on top of systray's network icon, it says "Network" and "Network 3" as if they would be both actively used at the same time, but that's not possible is it?

How do I even see which "Ethernet" or "Network" is actually being used?

How do I force (reliably) a particular Ethernet to be preferred?

I noticed I can disable a certain network "completely" in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings. However, I'm not sure if the connection might still spontaneously turn on after updates etc. So it would be important that the preferred connection is the real Ethernet, not a mobile connection.

(I don't want to solve this by disabling tethering in my iPhone, because that also disables other tethering which I don't want. Also the Data limit in Windows Settings does nothing useful, apparently it only warns in the notification center.)

:)

jimhoyle, May 16, 2019
  2. rez001 Win User

IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, May 16, 2019
  3. MJW77CA Win User
    Ethernet Light Orange/ "Local Area Network" Not in Network List

Last night I noticed my ethernet light on the back of my computer was orange. I did some research to find the reason. Some websites said it was an increased connection speed. Others said a problem with the connection.
    The local area network is no longer in the list of network connections and the other computer in my house has a green light on the ethernet port.
    I've used all the cmd.exe ipconfig steps suggested by websites. Flush dns, reset dns, etc. I've also used the network troubleshooter in windows10 which told me a problem was not found.
    Nothing seems to change the light back to green. Can someone help me find the problem so I can fix it?

MJW77CA, May 16, 2019
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

ethernet

Hi,

To better assist you, kindly answer the following:

• Did you try to change the Ethernet and check if the network is connecting?
    • Is the Ethernet working in other computers?
    • Are there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Ralph Sta, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Different Ethernets: how to prefer certain network - Similar Threads - Different Ethernets prefer

2. Ethernet disable at a certain time HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet disable at a certain time HELP: My Ethernet disconnect “it’s not the wifi not working or something” basically my Ethernet disable at 9pm and turns back on at 7am. I would like to know if there’s way to solve this. This been daily for the past 2 weeks, and I have no idea how to fix it? Or why does it...
  3. Ethernet disable at a certain time HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet disable at a certain time HELP: My Ethernet disconnect “it’s not the wifi not working or something” basically my Ethernet disable at 9pm and turns back on at 7am. I would like to know if there’s way to solve this. This been daily for the past 2 weeks, and I have no idea how to fix it? Or why does it...
  4. Why is my ethernet different with different pc's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my ethernet different with different pc's?: I'm using a Lan cable and so is my brother. He he is in a different room and gets about 40mbps download on Steam and other platforms. I get around 5mbps on every platform. I tried bringing his cable to my pc, but the result is the same. I have removed all the limitations in...
  5. Why is my ethernet different with different pc's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my ethernet different with different pc's?: I'm using a Lan cable and so is my brother. He he is in a different room and gets about 40mbps download on Steam and other platforms. I get around 5mbps on every platform. I tried bringing his cable to my pc, but the result is the same. I have removed all the limitations in...
  6. network/ethernet

network/ethernet: Hello! I would like to know how can I rename my network/ethernet of my pc. Is there any one to help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkethernet/0bd709aa-2a13-4253-a932-6f803fa868b3
  7. Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet

Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet: Situation: My PC is connected to a switch via Ethernet. Recently I bought a Wi-Fi card Asus PCE-AC56. I get a gigabit connection to the switch, but the wired connection to the switch is just 25Mbit because of crappy DLAN. With Wi-Fi I get the full 100Mbit over 5Ghz....
  8. ethernet network

ethernet network: how can I change the name of my ethernet network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-network/1cd3a739-a480-4490-9866-79a08a3b5526
  9. Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi: Hi, I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it turns out that it's impossible. When the network profile is changed for one of them, the other also changes automatically to...
  10. How to set different network locations

How to set different network locations: When I'm at home I want to have static IP set - I use 192.168.1.10 for this laptop for example. When I'm out of the house (and connected to a different public Wifi) I want to not use the static IP but let the place I connect to choose it. Today it was 192.168.2.xxx. With...