Windows 10: Different Keyboard and Display Language

Discus and support Different Keyboard and Display Language in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello there. I am deperately trying to keep my english display language, but changing the default keyboard layout to german or french. I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JulesMZ, Sep 11, 2018.

1. JulesMZ Win User

Different Keyboard and Display Language

Hello there.

I am deperately trying to keep my english display language, but changing the default keyboard layout to german or french.

I did everything described in the web, including Time & Language settings, advanced keyboard settings etc.

For the solution with the control panel: I only have Clock and Region in there, not Clock, Language and Region.

When I do the solution with the settings --> Time & Language --> advanced keyboard settings, it works only when restarting the PC, not when shutting it down and then starting it again. How come?

:)

JulesMZ, Sep 11, 2018
  2. RFC3514 Win User

Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, Sep 11, 2018
  3. Gus ND Win User
    Unable to set keyboard language as default differently from Windows 10 language

I'm able to do that, but the problem is: I need the default language for the keyboard to be set to brazilian portuguese but everytime I log in, windows is enforcing the keyboard language to be the same as the used for display.

I know I can press windows+space to switch languages, but I did not have to do it in the past, something changed with the latest patches.

Gus ND, Sep 11, 2018
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Can I have a different default input method from the display language

My knowledge of setting it up for Chinese language is limited as I have only done it with European languages. However I don't think it will be much different to European Language (assuming you use standard Roman alphabet keys on a QWERTY keyboard?), where you can add different languages and different keyboards (input) for those languages, depending on what keyboard you're physically typing on.

The settings are in Start > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language, as follows:

Different Keyboard and Display Language [​IMG]

You will find apps such as the Windows 10 Mail app will spell check what you're typing in the language you have set in the Task Bar. So if the 'Input Indicator' in the Task Bar is set to 'ENG' it will spell check/word suggest in English. If it's set to 'GER' is will spell check/word suggest in German.

ARC1020, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Different Keyboard and Display Language - Similar Threads - Different Keyboard Display

2. Different display language and keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different display language and keyboard layout: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  3. Different display language and keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different display language and keyboard layout: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  4. Language keyboard display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Language keyboard display: I understand that you can switch languages using the Windows key+spacebar. But this only changes the language input. It is useless unless you can also display the language keyboard onscreen. Is there any way to create a shortcut to do this? Or some other method?...
  5. Language keyboard display

Language keyboard display: I understand that you can switch languages using the Windows key+spacebar. But this only changes the language input. It is useless unless you can also display the language keyboard onscreen. Is there any way to create a shortcut to do this? Or some other method?...
  6. My keyboard is stuck in a different language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My keyboard is stuck in a different language: I bought my laptop 6 months ago in Vietnam. They changed the operating system to English and everything was fine until a few days ago when Vietnamese letters started appear when I type certain words. For example, when I type "is," it changes the i to í. Or when I type "or" it...
  7. Desktop icon is displayed in a different language.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon is displayed in a different language.: Hello, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my PC after some bugs in the old one. Then I noticed that the desktop icon is displayed in Arabic language, although I didn't even choose Arabic as an input language. Any help would be appreciated. [ATTACH]...
  8. Display language and input language differences

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display language and input language differences: Hello I am trying to set my language to English (Germany) but even though it is set correctly in Languages tab, I see English (UK) in Region. How can I get rid of UK? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Best regards...
  9. Microsoft Store displaying in different language

Microsoft Store displaying in different language: Hello, As you can see in the picture attached a part of the microsoft store is showing in what I think is norwegian. First of all, I dont live in Norway, nor I have installed this language nor my region is norway. How can I change it to English ?? [img] 115660
  10. Microsoft Store displaying in different language

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Store displaying in different language: Hello, As you can see in the picture attached a part of the microsoft store is showing in what I think is norwegian. First of all, I dont live in Norway, nor I have installed this language nor my region is norway. How can I change it to English ?? [img] 115660