Windows 10: Different size of recovery drive?

Discus and support Different size of recovery drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm active in SeniorNet. We have helped about 20 persons to upgrade to Windows 10. One peculiar thing we noticed is that different PC´s demand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NizzeHulth, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Different size of recovery drive?

I'm active in SeniorNet. We have helped about 20 persons to upgrade to Windows 10.

One peculiar thing we noticed is that different PC´s demand different size for the USB Recvery disk after the uppgrade.
    We had a range from 4GB to 32GB.

A majority used 16GB.

What is the reason for this difference?

Björn

:)

NizzeHulth, Feb 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 error msg: We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occured while creating the recovery drive.

When one reads the Windows instructions for creating a recovery drive, inserting the USB comes after starting the the recovery drive program. In my case the 'Can't create a recovery drive' message appears even before a USB flash drive is inserted. The
    size of the USB has no bearing on the failure it seems. As I previously reported, I have tried different sizes of USB, inserting them before entering the recovery drive program, but it always ends in failure unless I uncheck the system backup box.

GordonTate, Feb 15, 2016
  3. What Size ??

Previous posts re creation of the recovery drive are ongoing but I would like to know what the correct size for the USB recovery drive should be ??

I have 3 PC's whereby the size required to create this drive has been different in each case - 8 GB, 16Gb and 32 GB. I'd like to understand what it should be; Microsoft say 3 - 6 GB (8 GB USB flash drive would thus suffice). I'd also like to know why
    my PC's are giving differing values.

majestic100, Feb 15, 2016
  4. cameos Win User

Different size of recovery drive?

because these PCs have different user data?

cameos, Feb 15, 2016
  5. Britton Win User
    That's a tough one man, I googled that one and this is about all I could find out about the recovery drive.

Creating a USB recovery drive - Windows Help

If you read on down the page it talks about different recovery drive options. I'm thinking the space for each machine is different based on the size of the recovery partition Windows creates for itself during setup. Plus your doing upgrades from old installs so each PC will have different information on each one. During the upgrade process from Windows 7 for example the users entire Windows 7 install is backed up for the first 30 days in case the end user wishes to revert back to Windows 7. If that is the case for your machines then it would explain why your seeing different sized recover partitions. The system is adjusting the sized based on the original size of the Windows 7 install and associated user folder files, would be my answer.

If anyone knows more about this please chime in.

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  6. I believe the recovery drive only contains files to recover windows 10 and no applications or user data, or?

NizzeHulth, Feb 15, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Recovery drive also contains manufacturer specific drivers. The more manufacturer specific drivers a computer has, the bigger the recovery drive will be. Also, just because a certain size USB flash drive is demanded does not mean that is the size of the data written to it. The smallest stand alone Windows install media will barely fit in 4 gb. You pretty much add one driver to that and you now need the next size larger flash drive which is 8 gb - but maybe only 5 gb of it will actually be used.

It also depends on what program is used to create the recovery drive. If it is pure Windows, then only manufacturer drivers and Windows itself will be written to the recovery drive. If a manufacturer's program is used, then likely everything required to restore the entire hard drive back to factory state will be written to the recovery drive - including all the crapware that comes with the computer from the factory.

NavyLCDR, Feb 15, 2016
  8. Different size of recovery drive?

It was all created with the tools in Windows 10.

On the 4GB case I have to check again,

NizzeHulth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Different size of recovery drive?

1. Different size of recovery drive? - Similar Threads - Different size recovery

2. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  3. How to combine hard drives of different sizes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to combine hard drives of different sizes?: HiI have a myriad of hard drives accumulated over the years, of sizes: 2 of 1TB, 1 of 2TB, 2 of 4TB.The optimal setup would be using 3 drives of 4TB in RAID5, using a spanned drive of the 1TB and 2TB drives.Is that possible somehow?I'm using build 23493 of windows 11...
  4. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size: My Dell XPS laptop fails recovery attempts using a recovery drive made with the laptop with the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I created a recovery drive with my desktop but it is uanble to recover the PC. The system drive is too small.I...
  5. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size: My Dell XPS laptop fails recovery attempts using a recovery drive made with the laptop with the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I created a recovery drive with my desktop but it is uanble to recover the PC. The system drive is too small.I...
  6. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Font size different

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font size different: Hi,The size of the view menu bar is smaller than that of icons. How can I fix this problem? I mean to make the size of view bar biggerBest regards,Jiao https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/font-size-different/2970b447-e0eb-4079-950f-97ce96867ee4
  8. Windows 10 recovery drive size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 recovery drive size: Hi, I tried to create a recovery drive through the Windows recovery tool. I used a 16 GB flash drive. After almost 8 hours of recovery process, I got a message that the recovery process has failed and when I checked the flash drive, it was full. So I want to know whether the...
  9. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size: I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could...
  10. difference in drive size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    difference in drive size: windows explorer shows 67.1 Gb free for C: drive as below. [img] But dual boot mint shows as below [img] why such a difference? 118561