Windows 10: Different speeds for two identical USB sticks

Discus and support Different speeds for two identical USB sticks in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A few months ago I bought a set of 2 SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB3 sticks, one red, one blue (easier to reference that way). They're plugged in to two USB3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tpriest, May 28, 2021.

1. tpriest Win User

Different speeds for two identical USB sticks

A few months ago I bought a set of 2 SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB3 sticks, one red, one blue (easier to reference that way). They're plugged in to two USB3 ports via 1 metre USB3 cables. For some reason they transfer at different speeds. The blue one transfers 35-40MB/sec, the red one at 20-25MB/sec. This is consistent and stays the same whichever way I swap cables and ports. Neither are showing any errors. The only other difference I can see is that there's a 12MB (0.04%) difference in capacity. Any idea why the transfer speed difference? (I'm sure it's not due to the different wavelength of red and blue light!)

:)

tpriest, May 28, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 28, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Problem with usb port and old memory stick

Hello Steve,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

• Does the issue occur when u try with different USB drive?
    • Did you install all the pending Windows update?

I suggest you to first try and check with different USB Memory stick and check if the same issue occurs. Also try using your current USB memory stick in different USB port and check. Also install all the pending Windows
    updates and check. You can also try using the Memory stick on another system and check if its working fine.

For now, you can try updating the drivers of the Memory Stick and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to update drivers from the Device Manager:

1. Right click on
    Start button, select Device Manager andEnter.

2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see if there are any warning symbols. If yes update the drivers.

3. Right click on the Memory stich device and click on
    Update driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 28, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

Different speeds for two identical USB sticks [​IMG]

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, May 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Different speeds for two identical USB sticks - Similar Threads - Different speeds identical

2. Can't Install Two Identical Printer In One PC Using different USB PORT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Install Two Identical Printer In One PC Using different USB PORT: I Have a PC running with Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2, OS build 19045.2006 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0. I currently have a problem when trying to install two identical Toshiba Barcode Printer B-EX4T3. Those two printers will be printing different type...
  3. Can't Install Two Identical Printer In One PC Using different USB PORT

Can't Install Two Identical Printer In One PC Using different USB PORT: I Have a PC running with Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2, OS build 19045.2006 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0. I currently have a problem when trying to install two identical Toshiba Barcode Printer B-EX4T3. Those two printers will be printing different type...
  4. Can't Install Two Identical Printer In One PC Using different USB PORT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. two mice with different speeds?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two mice with different speeds?: I have a weird one. When I'm on my desktop, I'm using my trackball connected via the kvm. When I'm on the laptop, and I want to control the internet radio, I have an old mouse connected through usb directly to the PC, so I can control volume of the music.The problem is that...
  6. two mice with different speeds?

two mice with different speeds?: I have a weird one. When I'm on my desktop, I'm using my trackball connected via the kvm. When I'm on the laptop, and I want to control the internet radio, I have an old mouse connected through usb directly to the PC, so I can control volume of the music.The problem is that...
  7. two mice with different speeds?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  9. Making hundreds of USB-sticks with ALMOST identical files

Making hundreds of USB-sticks with ALMOST identical files: In short: I have to make ~500 USB-sticks containing loads of documentation, most of which will be identical. However, each stick will have several unique files on it as well. Does anyone know of a way to make this less tedious? Currently my tactic will be to put the...
  10. Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space: My company is test driving Intel Nuc Mini PCs to power digital sign boards. The two I have currently is for testing - if it works out well, we'll buy more. Anyhow, out of the box, I installed the 300+ updates. The SSD is only 32GB so I had to connect a USB drive to download...