Windows 10: Different types of USB cables

Discus and support Different types of USB cables in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I understand there are data cables, charging cables and combined cables. and OTG plus maybe some others. How can I tell them apart? None of mine have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clayto, Sep 24, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

Different types of USB cables

I understand there are data cables, charging cables and combined cables. and OTG plus maybe some others. How can I tell them apart? None of mine have anything to indicate what they are, and all of them have been used for both data and charging with no ill effects as far as I know. One cable, which came with my PC for charging via the USB C socket is very thick, but thin cables have been used for charging too. One retractable cable is very thin, less than a length of thin string but also is used for charging. Flat and round cables seem to perform the same, as do cheap and expensive cables (not an unimportant discovery. Flexibility is an advantage in some situations, and resistance to fraying at connectors can be important too.

Behind my enquiry is that fact that I have just started buying some new cables because of the magnetic, right angle / elbow, illuminating connectors they have, rather than their data v charging properties.

:)

clayto, Sep 24, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

I don't think anything can be damaged, but as you say, in some cases performance could suffer.
    Of course, using USB 3 not USB 2 cables for USB3 transfers to achieve full speed will be important as the physical cable wires are different.
    Do USB 3.0 Connections Require USB 3.0 Cables?

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Anibor Win User
    USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable

"USB 3.1" can mean USB 3.1 Gen. 1 (5 Gbit/s), or USB 3.1 Gen. 2 (10 Gbit/s). The cable you posted about in #3 is described as 10 Gbit/s compatible and its length es 1 m, which is consistent with a Gen. 2 cable. (In the current terminology, it seems that "3.1" is not used anymore, now is 3.2 Gen. 1/2).

What I suggested was to try a "Gen.1" cable, since the hub is Gen.1. Among others, I found this in Amazon, which is 2.0 m long, therefore Gen. 1:

USB C Extension Cable,Stouchi USB Type C Male to Female Fast Charging & Audio Data Transfer Cable Compatible for Nintendo Switch, Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro, Google Pixel 2 2 XL 3(6 FT)

The Satechi hub is also listed in Amazon, you could post a question about extension cables.

Anibor, Sep 24, 2019
  4. clayto Win User

Thank you ----that is a very useful source of information which I will be able to refer to from time to time even though as you suggest, with a quick scan I can see it does not offer straight answers to some of my questions. My immediate concern was not to risk any damage to myself, equipment or software resulting from using an inappropriate cable. It appears this is unlikely. I noticed this "The cable that you use to charge a device can also affect speed. Thinner cables reduce amperage, leading to longer charging times." It is OK if the worse that may happen is a loss of speed, and not over-heating or data corruption. Or, as is the case with OTG, complete failure to work at all. The only method I have to check which of my cables / connectors / adapters are OTG is to try them on a device such as my Android phone.

clayto, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Different types of USB cables - Similar Threads - Different types USB

2. Buy USB Cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buy USB Cable: Buy Construction Robot ring doorbell naif batarfi inside 8445 Al rabat riyadh Saudi Arabia https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buy-usb-cable/dee932c2-f259-451b-a723-a4eabb2e474e
  3. Charge USB Cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Charge USB Cable: Store All Country in Buy Lock Bend USB Cable For USB Cable, Buy Lock Eat USB Cable for USB Cable, Buy Lock Damaged USB Cable for USB Cable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/charge-usb-cable/31c6a953-2279-4639-9a2b-ccef1b2df4cb
  4. Cable Types For Backups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cable Types For Backups?: For an external HD. What other cable type could I use besides usb, and how do I know I can plug it in to my Win 10 computer? I know almost nothing about the different cable types....
  5. Cable Types For Backups?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cable Types For Backups?: For an external HD. What other cable type could I use besides usb, and how do I know I can plug it in to my Win 10 computer? I know almost nothing about the different cable types....
  6. Cable Types For Backups?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. usb extension cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb extension cable: My computer doesn't recognize the extension cable I'm trying to use to connect the PC to my embroidery machine. What shuld I do?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-extension-cable/0520a70d-799a-4722-b217-a0859b57d754
  8. USB Transfer Cable

USB Transfer Cable: I am trying to us a USB transfer cable to pull files from my Windows 7 computer to my Windows 10 computer. No dice with Easy Suite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-transfer-cable/f4ab9e35-efe1-4b11-a6dc-4e60ba1e0741
  9. midi USB cable

midi USB cable: I've a new cable but it did not function correctly 2 M Keyboard naar PC USB MIDI Cable Converter PC Muziek toetsenbord Cord USB IN-OUT MIDI Interface can you please help me out it did not work with windows 10 it show Device USB\VID_15CA&PID_0101\5&aea7634&0&2 was not...
  10. USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable

USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable: I purchased the Satechi USB Type-C hub for my PC. My motherboard has a Type-C connector on the rear I/O. The hub works fine if I connect it directly to the port but the cable is only 12" so I purchased a USB 3.1 Type -C male to female extension cable. But Windows gives me a...