Windows 10: Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date

Discus and support Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have folders full of photos. Some cameras start the filenames with the date, some with IMG_, some with IMG-, etc. To get the latest ones sorted at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ed9213, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ed9213 Win User

Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date

I have folders full of photos. Some cameras start the filenames with the date, some with IMG_, some with IMG-, etc.

To get the latest ones sorted at the top of the list in File Explorer, I insert the Date Taken column in the column list and sort by that.

So looking at the files in File Explorer in Details view, I sort by Date Taken. In the list all looks correct.

Then I double-click on the first photo and it opens with the built-in Photos application.

When I look at the photos in a C: drive folder, they appear in order.

When I sort the files with File Explorer by Date Taken on my Android 9 phone, imagine my surprise when the pics have been sorted and displayed by months, even though they are shown in proper date order in File Explorer. So, first the August 2019 photos appear, then the August 2018, then the August 2017, etc, before the July 2019 pics come up.

Is it the Photos program, or its interaction with the File Explorer, or the translation from Android? It used to be that the Photos application would display in whatever order the File Explorer organized them. Now it does not.

Can this be addressed? Is there a setting in File Explorer or Photos that will change the sorting format?

Thanks.

:)

ed9213, Aug 21, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 21, 2019
  3. photos microsoft window 10

Hi,

You can change the dates of your photos in Windows 10. So, if you sort by date, then it also gets sorted by time within the date.

To change the date in photo, follow the steps below:

• First, in a File Explorer view of the directory, right-click the file or the photo you want to change the date.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click on the Details tab, then click on the Date taken
      field.
    • Move your mouse cursor over to the actual value of the date and click on it, and the field becomes editable.

Some of the other metadata are also editable in the same way.

Also, to organize photos in Windows 10, we suggest to check this
    link

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Marvelos Reg, Aug 21, 2019
  4. pmshop Win User

Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date

Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer.
    This is not referring to the slide show feature, just the forward and back arrows.
    The only order pictures can be viewed is by name despite Windows Explorer being set at view by date, ascending.
    I have repaired Microsoft Live Essentials, uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue remains.
    This is also not an issue with photo tags or photo names.
    Windows Explorer sorts as selected but click a picture in the middle to view, click the forward arrow and instead of the next date picture being viewed, the next name picture is viewed.

pmshop, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date - Similar Threads - Different views Photos

2. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  3. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  4. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  5. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  6. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Sorting Photos by date

Sorting Photos by date: After the latest update to Photos, the option to import the photos by date isnt available any more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-photos-by-date/99a856b7-40a0-48ed-be3b-98b2986d869c
  8. View photo thumbnails in File Explorer by date created (Windows 10)

View photo thumbnails in File Explorer by date created (Windows 10): Hi, I need some help sorting and viewing photos in File Explorer (Windows 10) from different devices. I want to sort them by date created on the device and then view them as thumbnails. Please tell me this can be done...? Thanks...
  9. File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date: I am compiling an album of vacation photos and need to sort them by creation date as there may be some filename changes and photoediting involved. The files are sourced from a camera SD card and two samsung smartphones. The sort by creation date appears to sort the files in...
  10. Sorting photos by date

Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...