Windows 10: Different Window scaling with dual monitors

Discus and support Different Window scaling with dual monitors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex PC with primary monitor a Lenovo 24" 1920x1080. When I connect to my Samsung 55" 4K LED TV as a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David P. Vancouver, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Different Window scaling with dual monitors

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex PC with primary monitor a Lenovo 24" 1920x1080. When I connect to my Samsung 55" 4K LED TV as a second Extended monitor, also @1920x1080 resolution, the wallpaper and icons scale perfectly. i.e. the 1920x1080 photo exactly fills both monitors. But when I drag any window from the Lenovo to the Samsung, it takes up a much larger portion of the Samsung screen than it does on the Lenovo. What can I do to get the two to scale the windows the same?

:)

David P. Vancouver, Aug 1, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

An issue with DPI scaling arises when using two different scaling factors. The screen with the lower DPI display is fuzzy/blurred (most easily seen in text).

Hardware and settings

These are the hardware and settings involved:

• 1x primary 3840x2160 27" monitor with DPI scaling set to 150% (because regular text is unreadable at 27").
    • 1x secondary 1920x1080 24" monitor with DPI scaling set to 100%, displaying blurry text and images at these settings.
    Workarounds

When I use the same DPI scaling on both monitors the display shows correctly. This gives two undesirable workarounds:

• Setting 100% DPI scale on the UHD screen fixes display, but makes text unreadably small on this monitor.
    • Setting 150% DPI scale on the HD screen fixes display, but makes text so large I barely have any screen space left on this monitor.
    Is there per chance a better solution to this problem? Is this a Windows bug or am I using DPI scaling in the wrong way?

EDIT: Here's the system info from dxdiag just in case.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/14/2015, 13:09:59

Machine name: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.151104-1714)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/14 21:30:44 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 5936MB used, 3454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Herman Groenenboom, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Different Window scaling with dual monitors

Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

Hello Herman,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Sangeeta Sarkar” replied on July 29, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

Blurry text and icons in Windows 10 (DPI scaling)

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Vivian Samartha” replied on February 13, 2014 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

Windows 8.1 DPI Scaling

Note: The above article holds good for Windows 10 as well

Note:
    This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article give below and check if that helps.

Understanding Screen Scaling issues

Understanding Screen Scaling Issues - Win32 apps

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Different Window scaling with dual monitors

1. Different Window scaling with dual monitors - Similar Threads - Different Window scaling

2. Different Scaling on two monitors.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different Scaling on two monitors.: Hello, On my new Win11 laptop I am unable to set different scaling on my laptops auxiliary monitor. My laptop is 2560x1600 on a 16" monitor and my aux is 35" on 1980x1080.On 100% scaling, the laptop's test is minuscule almost unreadable, so i set it to 125%.Now, my 35" also...
  3. Different Scaling on two monitors.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different Scaling on two monitors.: Hello, On my new Win11 laptop I am unable to set different scaling on my laptops auxiliary monitor. My laptop is 2560x1600 on a 16" monitor and my aux is 35" on 1980x1080.On 100% scaling, the laptop's test is minuscule almost unreadable, so i set it to 125%.Now, my 35" also...
  4. Dual Monitors Different "Sizes"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors Different "Sizes": I have two 27" monitors that are are of the same physical size but of different resolutions - 1080p and 1440p. These are being run through an RTX3060Ti so max resolution supported is 7680x4320, way above what I am displaying.When I open display and set them to their native...
  5. Dual Monitors Different "Sizes"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitors Different "Sizes": I have two 27" monitors that are are of the same physical size but of different resolutions - 1080p and 1440p. These are being run through an RTX3060Ti so max resolution supported is 7680x4320, way above what I am displaying.When I open display and set them to their native...
  6. Have Windows "remember" scaling for different monitors?

Have Windows "remember" scaling for different monitors?: Hi, I regularly use my Windows 10 notebook with three displays: • Built in 13.3" QHD 3200 x 1800 • External widescreen 27" 3840 x 2160 • 1080p 42" TV 1920 x 1080 For the desktop and other objects to appear at normal size, each display requires a different scaling...
  7. Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution: So I have a dual monitor setup, my second monitor is 27in, and my main monitor is 24in, when using backgrounds like shown here, I cannot get my background to line up correctly, if I still want my mouse to move across the monitors smoothly, it seems like windows sees both...
  8. Dual-monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual-monitor scaling: Hi, everyone. I have a laptop+external monitor setup. I use 125% scaling for laptop display and 100% for external monitor. The problem is when I unplug monitor from laptop and later connect it, scaling factor for external monitor resets to laptop display value. So, every...
  9. Dual monitor custom scaling PER MONITOR?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor custom scaling PER MONITOR?: The display settings provide setting scaling options individually per monitor. There's also an advanced setting option that provides a Custom Scaling option where you can enter a value between 100-500. In my current setup the laptop monitor (1920x1080) scaling is set to 100...
  10. Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale!

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale!: The problem was mentioned several years ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/display-scaling-blurry-text-when-using-multiple/b433885e-827e-42bf-86cf-1df8e530a9fb?tm=1507366207768 , and it's hard to believe that he hasn't been...