Windows 10: Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition

Discus and support Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have no clue if this is the right subreddit to ask such a question, so please redirect me if this is the wrong place! I wanted to clean up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jogius, Jun 6, 2020.

1. /u/Jogius Win User

Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition

I have no clue if this is the right subreddit to ask such a question, so please redirect me if this is the wrong place!

I wanted to clean up my secondary drive today and realized that there was a efi partition and a recovery partition on it, while my primary drive with my windows installation on it had no efi partition on it (only two recovery and the primary partition). I followed this guide to create an efi partition on the primary drive and I was able to boot from it. However, I realized that the boot sequence (or at least the display) is different now! Instead of 'black screen + ASRock logo --> black screen + loading circle --> login screen', it goes from 'black screen + ASRock logo --> windows icon + loading circle --> black screen + loading icon --> login screen', and takes significantly longer to boot (about 10 seconds I'd say). Can anybody make sense of this?

submitted by /u/Jogius
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jogius, Jun 6, 2020

2. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

Hello,

On my laptop (Acer Swift 3) I dual boot Windows 10 (stock Windows, not Acer's version) and Arch Linux, recently I ran out of space on my EFI System Partition (ESP) while trying to install a different Linux kernel, so I copied out all of the files on the
    ESP, created a new, bigger one and copied all of the files back on. After removing and re-adding the boot options using the EFI shell, Linux booted fine (from rEFInd) but Windows no longer boots - every time it blue screens with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I
    have already tried:

• deleting /boot/EFI/Microsoft and /boot/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, then running `bcdboot /l en-gb /s s: /f UEFI` from a recovery disk - same problem
    • running various `bootrec` commands, some said "Access Denied" (what???) and some claimed there are no valid Windows partitions even though one is mounted at C:
    • Startup Repair - did not find any problems
    • reinstalling Windows - the installer says it will reboot and continue afterwards, when it reboots it dumps me at the main installer menu, without having made any progress
    • looking at EFI NVRAM variables - it is impossible to tell which of these actually affect the Windows boot manager
    • `sfc /scannow` - it was a shot in the dark and lo and behold it did nothing
    Any help getting Windows to boot again will be greatly appreciated.

TommyHudson1, Jun 6, 2020
  3. pbftvt Win User
    M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence.

Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact partition sequence, sizes, and UUIDs.

Linux partition needed minor tweaks to /etc/fstab due to the device names being different (/dev/nvme0n1px vs. /dev/sdax), but boots fine.

The disk is GPT, and I believe the original Windows 10 was UEFI - the Linux installation definitely was.

Boot sequence brings up Linux 'grub' menu first. Choosing the EFI partition then brings up Windows EFI boot menu. Fresh Windows install (see below) boots fine from here, old install fails.

Attempts at solution: I did a fresh Windows install in a spare partition and it boots fine. Using the new Windows installation, I've edited the BCD entry for my original Win 10 install. I have
    the correct BCD device, osdevice, and path.

Questions:

• What else needs to be done to make Windows boot again?
    • Are there any config file or registry changes that need to be made to account for the SATA to NVME move?
    • How do I see boot error messages for a UEFI boot failure? No errors displayed and no log files that I can find in Windows or EFI partitions...

pbftvt, Jun 6, 2020
  4. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition - Similar Threads - Different boot sequence

2. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  3. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  4. Move efi system partition on a different drive than c

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move efi system partition on a different drive than c: On so the last time i did anything kind of computer repair was before efi. My wife has a mini laptop that came with a shit 32gb emmc drive. Today i put a 240gb ssd in it because she literally can’t install anything. I cloned her original emmc to the new ssd. It also cloned...
  5. Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot on Same Drive, different partitions: I have two partitions: -Partition One has Windows -Partition Two has a Linux Distro If i reinstall Windows on Partition One and opt to remove everything will it also include wiping Partition Two with the Linux Distro? submitted by /u/AlphaXexia [link] [comments]...
  6. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  7. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  8. Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition?: I'm mucking around with multi-boot and need to edit some files I put in the EFI partition. It was possible in Windows 8 to use Mountvol and mount this partition to a drive. Then it showed up like normal in Windows Explorer, saving me the hassle of using command line to...
  9. Partitions are Different and Weird!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions are Different and Weird!: I am running 1703, there was a big update the other day, and now I see the screen below. It's confusing, weird, and I'd like to change it but am worried about wrecking the system. Disks 2-4 are locked up - I can't assign USB drives unless I use disk 5. Very strange. Any...
  10. Install on a different partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install on a different partition: Hi, I have made the Windows 10 UPGRADE, and now I want to make a clean install but on a different partition, will it still recognize it as the same computer or will it ask for a new Product-Key? 52303