Windows 10: Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

Discus and support Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about 25% the size of the full backup, then it’s time for a new full backup. But again that’s just a guess. Is there an optimal percentage? I use the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1 on a Windows 10 (1703) 64-bit Home PC.

:)

radiowaves, Oct 13, 2017
  2. 2bad---01 Win User

accuweather gone on n97

Wouldn't a full backup contain private user data as well? I have a full backup. It is 1GB in size.

2bad---01, Oct 13, 2017
  3. photos missing from skydrive

The automatic upload of photos to Facebook and/or SkyDrive is really just a quick and dirty way to share pictures with family & friends. Photos that are emailed or automatically uploaded to SkyDrive or Facebook from windows phone are at a lesser resolution
    and smaller size than the original photo. This option is not a good way to "backup" pictures that you snap on the phone. However pictures that are synced to a computer via the Zune software are synced at full resolution and size so it is a true backup of
    your photos.

There are apps in the marketplace that will upload your full resolution, sized pictures to SkyDrive, Flickr, Dropbox and other cloud based services you might want to think about using.

Julie fka profjulie, Oct 13, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

Since I've not done differential backups, I'm going to follow this thread and learn alongside you from the experiences of others who have done such backups.

RolandJS, Oct 14, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    There is no right answer. I schedule a full monthly backup and weekly differential backup. I also use File History for hourly backup of my user files.

Steve C, Oct 14, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    There is no correct answer but 25% seems reasonable. If you keep the differentials eventually, their total size wil exceed the original full hdd.

I tend to use diffs (or incs) as a temporary measure eg I want to try something, and just want ability to revert quickly just in case.

cereberus, Oct 14, 2017
  7. kronckew Win User
    if you like macrium, why not pay for the home version and use incrementals, they have to eat and feed their families too.

i do a weekly full on fri. night and incrementals the other 6 days, and have it set to keep two sets, each with a full and up to 6 incrementals, my full is about 54GB and incrementals vary around 1.6gb depending on how many changes i've made. restores can be done in around two minutes if the delta restore is active and changes are not major. i did a manual full on sat. due to the update to 1709 build 17017.1000.

kronckew, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

1. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size - Similar Threads - Differential Backup Size

2. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  3. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  4. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  6. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  7. Backup Size 0 Bytes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes: Originally posted with my other account, but can't receive notifications with that one so I'm copying the same one to here Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I...
  8. Backup Size 0 Bytes?

Backup Size 0 Bytes?: Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I try to make a backup, the system says that my backup size is 0 byte. Now: - I have tried using different backup drives and...
  9. Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup: Trying to delete all backups from a drive. Now it says There are no data file backups for this computer on this drive. AND There are no system images for this computer on this drive. And yet the Manage Space tool still reports a System image size of 50 GB. How can I...
  10. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Size of backup file using Windows Backup: I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of...