Windows 10: Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN?

Discus and support Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a headless Win10 PC in my home office I use for heavy data processing using a dedicated app licensed only to that machine. Connecting via RDP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Terribl3Tim, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN?

I have a headless Win10 PC in my home office I use for heavy data processing using a dedicated app licensed only to that machine.

Connecting via RDP from my workstation over gigabit LAN, copying files to the headless PC (via simple copy paste) is incredibly fast and when I do so I can still interact with everything in the RDP session.

However when it comes to transferring the same data files back, it takes a lot longer, and my desktop is locked out from interaction whilst the transfer window is open (I can still interact with start menu etc but the actual desktop location where the files are copied to initially are barred from use).

Can anyone explain to me why this is? It doesn't seem to be network hardware related as my house is fully wired with verified 1gig full duplex at the switch and device level.

Both machines are are the latest 2020 build of Win 10 (although this has been happening since I deployed the headless machine last year) both are very similar spec (self builds, although I'd argue my desktop is faster).

I'm not losing any sleep over it but it's just irritaing having a few mins lost here and there while I wait for files to copy back from the data PC. I'm having a hardtime google-fu'ing this issue as most queries regarding transfer speed refer to exeternal connections which is not the issue here.

submitted by /u/Terribl3Tim
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Terribl3Tim, Sep 7, 2020

2. RDP issues on win10

I upgrade 8.1Pro to Win10 Enterprise and I am seeing using Remote Desktop to a server on the internet won't work but on my lan or enterprise network no issues.

This was just working prior to upgrade.

While remoting to another machine, the same endpoint works fine. is RDP broken on win10?

Paul Russell, Sep 7, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Windows 10 cannot see ANY machines on home LAN

Hi there

Tried your suggestions - No difference

Here's example -- one Linux and 2 W10 machines currently up and running on my LAN - both W10 pro X-64

Linux sees W10 machines - Linux machine is Gylfi running Centos 7 -- the other two are W10.

Access to either W10 machine and the Windows shares on either windows machine from Centos (Linux) no problem.

W10 Machines don't even show a SINGLE computer -- all sharing and networking discovery enabled --even with Firewall off for testing.

The W10 machines though show devices such s chromecast or servers - squeezebox (Logitech media server) and Plex.

Grhhhhhh!!!

Anyway something to do on a rainy / snowy cold Sunday. !!!

Here's the screenshots -- computer Gylfi is the Linux one the other two are Windows 10.

Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN? [​IMG]

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 7, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN?

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN?

1. Differing RDP transfer behaviours between 2 Win10 machines over LAN? - Similar Threads - Differing RDP transfer

2. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  3. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  4. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  5. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  6. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

7. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to transfer win10 licence to different machine: I was running a perfectly fine Windows 10 on a perfectly fine Asus motherboard which, unfortunately was win11 capable.MS then virtually forced me into an unwanted windows 11 'upgrade'. The short 7 x 14Hr days story is that the OK computer ceased to work. I happened to have a...
  8. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to transfer win10 licence to different machine: I was running a perfectly fine Windows 10 on a perfectly fine Asus motherboard which, unfortunately was win11 capable.MS then virtually forced me into an unwanted windows 11 'upgrade'. The short 7 x 14Hr days story is that the OK computer ceased to work. I happened to have a...
  9. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

10. LAN problem between 2 PC's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN problem between 2 PC's: Both upgrated to windows 10, one HOME and one PRO. Windows 10 HOME is on a local account Windows 10 Pro is on a Microsoft account. Private and All net-settings are the same on both PC's From the HOME I can access the PRO while typing the login settings for the PRO...