Windows 10: Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Discus and support Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmohaqeqf, Nov 2, 2019.

1. mmohaqeqf Win User

Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Hi all;
    I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section.

Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand:

I have a y700 Lenovo laptop, which originally came with a Win 10, which was installed on a SSD drive (256G) (Drive C). And it also came with another separate 1T hard drive (HDD) for storing other stuff (Drive E).
    My current win is win 10 Home, version 1809 (I am not sure it it helps at all).

A while ago, I wanted to install ubuntu to run some engineering software, so I used partitioning manage software to create a partition of about 130 G out of my HDD (Drive E) and successfully installed ubuntu. Now, I am done with that software, and needed to uninstall ubuntu and add the space allocated for ubuntu back to my Drive E, by following this (How to Uninstall a Linux Dual-Boot System From Your Computer). So I went ahead and deleted the partition (on which ubuntu was installed) using the windows disk management. Then, the deleted partition became an unallocated space. Now as you can see in the screen shot, the disk management shows that there two other partitions between the unallocated partition and Drive E (Date (E)). Now, I would like to add the unallocated space to this partition (Date (E)). However, I cannot find a way to do it. When I right click on the unallocated space, the only option I get is "New Simple Volume". But when I proceed with this option, the last step gives me this error;

"There is not enough space on the disk(s) to complete this operation."

Note: I already ran re-scan disk option from the disk management toolbar, which did not resolve the issue.
    Note: I still get this error, even if I set the size of the new volume to something small (like 10 G).

So I am stuck, and don't seem to be able to use this unallocated space.

So I went ahead and installed this app called EASUS partition Master. The other screen shot (also attached) is what the EASUS shows me. Surprisingly, EASUS shows that there is only one FAT 32 partition inbetween my unallocated space and Date (E) partition. Although EASUS I have is the full version, but I still cannot do anything with it. It does not allow me to create another partition out of the unallocated space (gives me the same error as the disk management, see above). It also does not allow me to move/resize the Data (E) partition.

Can anyone help me to be able to use the unallocated space?

Please let me know if any other info is needed.

Thanks for your patience.

:)

mmohaqeqf, Nov 2, 2019
  2. mellaby Win User

Removing unallocated Partition

I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?

mellaby, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Nov 2, 2019
  4. MartyB46 Win User

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition).

When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error:

The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID', and is both preceded and followed by a partition of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID'.

What?

MartyB46, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu - Similar Threads - Difficulty allocating unallocated

2. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu: Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section. Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand: I have a y700...
  3. Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space: i installed ubuntu with windows like in a dual boot setup after sometime i didn't required it so i deleted ubuntu and removed the dual boot... now when i try to reclaim the partition of around 45 GB to be used for ubuntu i am neither able to merge it with my main data drive...
  4. Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition: I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition). When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error: The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which...
  5. Removing unallocated Partition

Removing unallocated Partition: I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?...
  6. Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition: I used to work on my PC which had a C Drive (partitioned with Windows and Ubuntu) alongside an E drive for other storage. I deleted the Ubuntu partition and after rebooting the system, it told me that there was a grub error - 'Error: no such partition". After looking up what...
  7. unallocated partition

unallocated partition: Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD. I am certain that in the past there was not such a thing. My question is what might be a possible reason that such a partition develops? 96903
  8. Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....

Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....: Hi guys Would really appreciate some help here, and hopefully I'll be able to explain in as simplest terms as possible so as not to confuse. It may be a bit long winded but I think for someone to be able to help me they need to understand the why's and wherefore's lol - so...
  9. Cannot Use Unallocated Drive Space After Ubuntu Deletion.

Cannot Use Unallocated Drive Space After Ubuntu Deletion.: I cannot use this unallocated space for creating a new drive or expanding an existing one. This thread will give you the history. Unallocated Space Recovery 87261
  10. Difficulty in managing 4 partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty in managing 4 partitions: Hello all. I'm currently using Windows 10 and have a 1TB hard disk. It has been divided into 4 parts. One for OS, another for it's drivers, and the rest 2 primary partitions for media storage. Now, I need to install Ubuntu as well and I'm not sure how to go about it. I...