Windows 10: Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Discus and support Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmohaqeqf, Nov 2, 2019.

1. mmohaqeqf Win User

Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Hi all;
    I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section.

Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand:

I have a y700 Lenovo laptop, which originally came with a Win 10, which was installed on a SSD drive (256G) (Drive C). And it also came with another separate 1T hard drive (HDD) for storing other stuff (Drive E).
    My current win is win 10 Home, version 1809 (I am not sure it it helps at all).

A while ago, I wanted to install ubuntu to run some engineering software, so I used partitioning manage software to create a partition of about 130 G out of my HDD (Drive E) and successfully installed ubuntu. Now, I am done with that software, and needed to uninstall ubuntu and add the space allocated for ubuntu back to my Drive E, by following this (How to Uninstall a Linux Dual-Boot System From Your Computer). So I went ahead and deleted the partition (on which ubuntu was installed) using the windows disk management. Then, the deleted partition became an unallocated space. Now as you can see in the screen shot, the disk management shows that there two other partitions between the unallocated partition and Drive E (Date (E)). Now, I would like to add the unallocated space to this partition (Date (E)). However, I cannot find a way to do it. When I right click on the unallocated space, the only option I get is "New Simple Volume". But when I proceed with this option, the last step gives me this error;

"There is not enough space on the disk(s) to complete this operation."

Note: I already ran re-scan disk option from the disk management toolbar, which did not resolve the issue.
    Note: I still get this error, even if I set the size of the new volume to something small (like 10 G).

So I am stuck, and don't seem to be able to use this unallocated space.

So I went ahead and installed this app called EASUS partition Master. The other screen shot (also attached) is what the EASUS shows me. Surprisingly, EASUS shows that there is only one FAT 32 partition inbetween my unallocated space and Date (E) partition. Although EASUS I have is the full version, but I still cannot do anything with it. It does not allow me to create another partition out of the unallocated space (gives me the same error as the disk management, see above). It also does not allow me to move/resize the Data (E) partition.

Can anyone help me to be able to use the unallocated space?

Please let me know if any other info is needed.

Thanks for your patience.

:)

mmohaqeqf, Nov 2, 2019
  2. mellaby Win User

Removing unallocated Partition

I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?

mellaby, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Nov 2, 2019
  4. MartyB46 Win User

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition).

When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error:

The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID', and is both preceded and followed by a partition of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID'.

What?

MartyB46, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu - Similar Threads - Difficulty allocating unallocated

2. Unable to allocate or extend the disk partition after removing ubuntu 22.04

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to allocate or extend the disk partition after removing ubuntu 22.04: I installed Ubuntu 22.04 and then, I didn't like it and remove it again. Now, my basic disk is changed to dynamic and in the dynamic disk, I am unable to allocated the unallocated partition and also cannot extend my volume. How to solve that?...
  3. Unable to allocate or extend the disk partition after removing ubuntu 22.04

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to allocate or extend the disk partition after removing ubuntu 22.04: I installed Ubuntu 22.04 and then, I didn't like it and remove it again. Now, my basic disk is changed to dynamic and in the dynamic disk, I am unable to allocated the unallocated partition and also cannot extend my volume. How to solve that?...
  4. Moving Unallocated Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Unallocated Partition: I have some Unallocated space that is to the left of C:.I want to move it to the right of C: so I can add it to C:.Not sure how to do it.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-unallocated-partition/9be7e0e8-cebe-4772-94d4-a06138f8b2ed
  5. Allocate unallocated storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate unallocated storage: [IMG] I have a 1TB nvme ssd with 100GB of unallocated storage. When I right-click on my (C:) extend volume is grayed out. Is there any way to add this 100GB of unallocated storage to my existing (C:) drive?...
  6. Unallocated Partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Partitions?: does this disk management screen grab look ok? how about the two unallocated partitions in disk 0, can those be merged with c:? if so, is there a benefit? also, under volume it shows "disk 0 partition 2" and "disk 0 partition 5", is there a reason why the partitions numbers...
  7. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu: Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section. Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand: I have a y700...
  8. Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition: I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition). When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error: The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which...
  9. Removing unallocated Partition

Removing unallocated Partition: I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?...
  10. unallocated partition

unallocated partition: Not often I look in disk management, but now I see that I have an unallocated partition on my SSD. I am certain that in the past there was not such a thing. My question is what might be a possible reason that such a partition develops? 96903

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ubuntu partition allocation