Windows 10: Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image

Discus and support Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I realize that there is probably an extremely small audience that actually does this, but has anyone been able to successfully integrate the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hsehestedt, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image

I realize that there is probably an extremely small audience that actually does this, but has anyone been able to successfully integrate the latest Windows 10 20H2 updates into their ISO images?

For some reason, when I do so, if I try to install Windows from that media I get the following error:

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.

What I am Doing

I am taking the released ISO image of Windows 10 20H2 and applying the following updates:

WinRE (the WinRE.wim file): Servicing Stack Update (SSU) and Safe OS Dynamic Update.

WinPE (boot.wim file - both Index 1 and 2): SSU and Latest Cumulative Update (LCU)

Main OS (install.wim file - any or all indices): SSU, LCU, Flash Player security updates, and .NET updates.

Windows Media: Setup Dynamic Update

Through a process of elimination I've determined that the problem is with the LCU (Latest Cumulative Update).

I've tested my updated ISO images by trying to install to both VMware workstation and Hyper-V with the same failure as noted above in both instances.

Note that I've been doing these updates for at least a year now, and I do it at least least once a month, more frequently when Microsoft releases C and/or D patches in addition to the normal monthly B patches. My process is fully automated so it's not human error *Smile and has been 100% reliable up until now. I follow precisely the procedures that Microsoft prescribes.

There are only 2 LCUs for 20H2 so far: The usual monthly update for October 2020 and the preview release which was made available on Oct. 28. I'm having the same problem with both of them.

Has anyone else tried this?

:)

hsehestedt, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Octopuss Win User

Integrating cumulative updates into the image

Ha, I managed to figure it out - purely accidentally.
    It turned out there IS a prerequisite to integrating this - it's called "servicing stack" and these KBs are released more or less along with the cumulative updates (sometimes like once per two CUs).
    Of course, this is not explained anywhere (the connection and dependency).

The another catch is that when you try to integrate all this, you have to do it twice. WTF.
    So you have to mount the image, do whatever customizations you have prepared, then integrate the servicing stack, THEN unmount and save the image, AND THEN mount it again and finally integrate the large update.

This is almost as annoying as booting into safe mode in Windows 10 compared to Windows 7.
    just-pure-WTF

Octopuss, Oct 30, 2020
  3. windows 20h2 update issue

Hi, I'm Israel M., I'm an independent consultant and I'm happy to help you.

The update of Windows 20h2 is carried out cumulatively, correcting errors the focus was to correct problems seen until then, being made available by Microsoft an extensive list (almost 50 items cited by the company), thus showing that this update promises to
    regularize a good part of the image that reaches users of the distribution. Therefore, these constant updates are corrections.

I hope I helped, I await your return.

Best regards,

Israel M.

Outside consultant

IsraelMoreira2, Oct 30, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image

Update History is not showing v.20H2

Hi Dominic

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

This is normal behavior in Windows 10, typically when you install a Feature Update like 20h2, the update history is wiped, this is to prevent the user from trying to uninstall an update that was prior to the Feature Update, which would de-stabilize Windows
    10, the list should start building again, when some updates are applied to version 20h2 . . .

DaveM121, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image

1. Difficulty integrating Cumulative Update into 20H2 image - Similar Threads - Difficulty integrating Cumulative

2. Cumulative update for 20H2 KB5004237 failing with 0x800f0922 error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative update for 20H2 KB5004237 failing with 0x800f0922 error.: I have been trying to install this update for over a month now. Every time it fails, and I have to wait 10 minutes while it undoes the changes. I have checked posts which suggest ensuring that .NET service is turned on, and that the EFI partition is large enough. I have done...
  3. Cumulative Update Version 20H2 Repeatedly Fails to Install

Cumulative Update Version 20H2 Repeatedly Fails to Install: Over the last few weeks, update 20H2 has installed, failed to run, then uninstalled itself at least five times. This morning, I woke up to a BSOD, likely related to this or the fact that Windows Update is also complaining about not being able to install update 21H1 which, I...
  4. Cumulative update for windws 20h2 keeps getting failed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cumulative update for windws 20h2 keeps getting failed: So i updated to windows 20h2 and it slows my pc very much and now the usb port doesnt work so there's a cumulative update to fix those i guess Bu that isn't getting installed and shows the message as windows...
  5. Cumulative update for version 20H2 stuck at 20%

Cumulative update for version 20H2 stuck at 20%: Greetings! I successfully updated 1909 to 20H2 and downloaded updates. But one particular update is causing me issues. The optional cumulative update for Windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 based systems. It stucks at installing at 20%. Even tried to restart the laptop but it...
  6. Constant issues with this 20H2 cumulative update.

Constant issues with this 20H2 cumulative update.: Ever since October of last year and this new 20H2 update came out I've had nothing but grief trying to get this thing installed. Before it didn't bother me as much because aside from simply not being able to install the update, my laptop was working fine. However it seems...
  7. Microsoft integrates Servicing Stack Updates in Windows 10 cumulative updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft integrates Servicing Stack Updates in Windows 10 cumulative updates: Currently, when you are installing updates manually on a Windows 10 system or are using update management solutions such as WSUS or Configuration Manager, you may run into update installation issues if an update depends on a particular Servicing Stack update that is not...
  8. Difficulty installing Latest Cumulative Update KB45406730

Difficulty installing Latest Cumulative Update KB45406730: Tried to download & install this latest UD but got Error 0x80004005 each time I tried, any assistance? Thanks George https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difficulty-installing-latest-cumulative-update/658d5389-ce98-42c1-90e3-d1c3a82a2aa0
  9. Integrating cumulative updates into the image

Integrating cumulative updates into the image: I have v1803 image, the most recent 17134.112 version. I am trying to integrate the latest monthly cumulative update into the image, just like I was used to on Windows 7. With Win7, there were prerequisite updates that had to be applied first, but nothing is mentioned for the...
  10. Windows Image Backup difficulty

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Image Backup difficulty: Windows version: W10 N 64 bit. Before the recent November update, I created a image backup for my system drive which is the usual C: drive. After the update, I also created a seperated image backup. Now due to some unknown issue with Windows10-KB3010081-x64 (Media...