Windows 10: Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

Discus and support Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a problem with a new build on Win10 Home, 64bit. I try to keep the desktop tidy by having folders for different types of programs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hilts, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Hilts Win User

Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

I'm having a problem with a new build on Win10 Home, 64bit.

I try to keep the desktop tidy by having folders for different types of programs and utilities. When I try to open some programs from within those folders - usually those needing UAC confirmation (but not always just these) - the program or UAC box does not come into focus and is hidden behind the folder. The cursor, when left over the folder, indicates the system is busy.

The only way to get it into focus is to open another program - usually a web browser - and then close it or minimise it. Then I can get to the UAC box. This does not happen when I have the short-cut on the desktop. It also does not happen again with that folder unless I close it and open it again.

I have another PC with Win10Pro 64bit. Haven't experienced it on that PC.

Has anyone had the same issue? Is a reinstall/repair needed?

:)

Hilts, Nov 12, 2016
  2. CraigLong Win User

when i delete a file from my desktop on windows 10 it also deletes the file on in my documents to the recycle bin then i have recover it and also puts the file back on my desktop

Don't move your default Documents folder to your Desktop. Place a shortcut
    to your Documents folder on your Desktop instead of the actual folder.

When you open a shortcut to the Documents folder you are actually working within the Documents folder itself. You are no longer working on the Desktop when you open such a shortcut.

If you want an actual folder on your desktop create any new folder on your Desktop and give it a unique name.

CraigLong, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Eleusis9 Win User
    Win 10 Desktop shortcut folders issue

1. No error codes at all. The shortcut itself is totally fine and accessible, unless I try to save to it from or use an open command within a program.

2. I did try creating it in a different place, including adding it to libraries, to no avail.

3. The original folder always remains accessible, in fact is the only way I can access my upload folder when saving a document to it from within a program, Word, etc.

4. I have tried different file associations to no avail as well as resetting file associations.

The UI window when using save as and open from within a program does not display the shortcut folder as an option for saving to or opening a document, forcing me to navigate to the original folder directories.

Thanks for working on this. It is most appreciated.

Eleusis9, Nov 12, 2016
Thema:

Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

1. Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop - Similar Threads - Difficulty opening Programs

2. Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop: First of all - Really stupid from microsoft forum/admins of forum is that: Locking the thread which never got solved. For me - I did not find solution for this problem via the topic which was already made out there, so I just copy pasted the tittle and made this new topic....
  3. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut: Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager 2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...
  4. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...
  5. Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.: I'm running W10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop. Among the programs I use in maintaining my system is IObit's "Advanced System Care," and I keep a shortcut to it in a folder along with other shortcuts. I generally run ASC once a week. For the past three or four...
  6. Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu: Hello, So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out...
  7. Open URL from Desktop Shortcut in Fullscreen for Microsoft Edge ?

in Browsers and Email
    Open URL from Desktop Shortcut in Fullscreen for Microsoft Edge ?: ....... I would like to add a Microsoft Edge desktop shortcut to an url and open in fullscreen (not just maximized). Can someone please tell me how to configure the shortcut ...?... 87651
  8. Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program?: Hi, so a while ago I followed this tutorial and it worked great, but something has been bothering me with the way it works and I can't seem to find a solution for it (I'm not really sure how to explain/look it up either). I was really hoping someone could help me with this....
  9. How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?: Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop and it now created a folder saying Desktop (similar to say, going to the control panel>personalisation>change desktop icons...
  10. Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible: When I switched on my pc yesterday running latest version of Win 10 I notice that all the shortcuts are no longer visible in the desktop folders, or, any folders. Before I could see a representation of them sticking out from the Folder. When I click on a folder it opens...