Windows 10: Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

Discus and support Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a problem with a new build on Win10 Home, 64bit. I try to keep the desktop tidy by having folders for different types of programs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hilts, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Hilts Win User

Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

I'm having a problem with a new build on Win10 Home, 64bit.

I try to keep the desktop tidy by having folders for different types of programs and utilities. When I try to open some programs from within those folders - usually those needing UAC confirmation (but not always just these) - the program or UAC box does not come into focus and is hidden behind the folder. The cursor, when left over the folder, indicates the system is busy.

The only way to get it into focus is to open another program - usually a web browser - and then close it or minimise it. Then I can get to the UAC box. This does not happen when I have the short-cut on the desktop. It also does not happen again with that folder unless I close it and open it again.

I have another PC with Win10Pro 64bit. Haven't experienced it on that PC.

Has anyone had the same issue? Is a reinstall/repair needed?

:)

Hilts, Nov 12, 2016
  2. CraigLong Win User

when i delete a file from my desktop on windows 10 it also deletes the file on in my documents to the recycle bin then i have recover it and also puts the file back on my desktop

Don't move your default Documents folder to your Desktop. Place a shortcut
    to your Documents folder on your Desktop instead of the actual folder.

When you open a shortcut to the Documents folder you are actually working within the Documents folder itself. You are no longer working on the Desktop when you open such a shortcut.

If you want an actual folder on your desktop create any new folder on your Desktop and give it a unique name.

CraigLong, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Eleusis9 Win User
    Win 10 Desktop shortcut folders issue

1. No error codes at all. The shortcut itself is totally fine and accessible, unless I try to save to it from or use an open command within a program.

2. I did try creating it in a different place, including adding it to libraries, to no avail.

3. The original folder always remains accessible, in fact is the only way I can access my upload folder when saving a document to it from within a program, Word, etc.

4. I have tried different file associations to no avail as well as resetting file associations.

The UI window when using save as and open from within a program does not display the shortcut folder as an option for saving to or opening a document, forcing me to navigate to the original folder directories.

Thanks for working on this. It is most appreciated.

Eleusis9, Nov 12, 2016
Thema:

Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop

1. Difficulty opening Programs from shortcuts within folders on Desktop - Similar Threads - Difficulty opening Programs

2. Windows 11 all shortcuts to folders open the "desktop" folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 all shortcuts to folders open the "desktop" folder.: I have a new windows 11 computer about 2 months now. I create shortcuts on my desktop to folders I use regularly. No problems until today. I click a shortcut on the desktop to open the folder and it briefly flashes the desired folders contents, but then quickly opens the...
  3. Windows 11 all shortcuts to folders open the "desktop" folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 all shortcuts to folders open the "desktop" folder.: I have a new windows 11 computer about 2 months now. I create shortcuts on my desktop to folders I use regularly. No problems until today. I click a shortcut on the desktop to open the folder and it briefly flashes the desired folders contents, but then quickly opens the...
  4. windows 11 Desktop shortcuts opens folder location, not the folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 Desktop shortcuts opens folder location, not the folder.: Hi,i have created many folders on my destop. Today I decided to move them to their correct location in "Documents" and replace them with shortcuts on the desktop. Some had aldeady been done., or a shortcut had already been created, linked to the folder in"documents".This is...
  5. windows 11 Desktop shortcuts opens folder location, not the folder.

windows 11 Desktop shortcuts opens folder location, not the folder.: Hi,i have created many folders on my destop. Today I decided to move them to their correct location in "Documents" and replace them with shortcuts on the desktop. Some had aldeady been done., or a shortcut had already been created, linked to the folder in"documents".This is...
  6. Shortcut for a file within a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut for a file within a folder: to keep my desktop clean I group my apps into folders. I want to have a few shortcuts for my most used apps snd games. Now when assigning a shortcut via the properties screen the shortcut is only working while the folder in which the file is located is already opened. I could...
  7. Shortcut for a file within a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut for a file within a folder: to keep my desktop clean I group my apps into folders. I want to have a few shortcuts for my most used apps snd games. Now when assigning a shortcut via the properties screen the shortcut is only working while the folder in which the file is located is already opened. I could...
  8. Shortcut for a file within a folder

9. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  10. Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.: I'm running W10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop. Among the programs I use in maintaining my system is IObit's "Advanced System Care," and I keep a shortcut to it in a folder along with other shortcuts. I generally run ASC once a week. For the past three or four...