Windows 10: Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows...

Discus and support Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Acer TravelMate 4200 with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. I installed Windows 10 on it to see if it could handle it. So far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SAGB - MCET, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows...

I have an Acer TravelMate 4200 with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. I installed Windows 10 on it to see if it could handle it. So far everything works except that I can no longer play Jedi Knight II on it.

The game worked perfectly under Windows XP Pro on the same machine.

This is the message I get: "...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT ...restoring display settings ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)… GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"

Acer does not have any driver updates, and neither does Intel.

I've tried the modified OpenGL .dll driver trick that works for my other computer with an HD Graphics chip, but it doesn't work here... the modified driver says it isn't compatible.

Is there anything that will help fix this? (I've tried the Windows Update for the driver - It says my current driver is the best to use)

Below is the full log:

---------------------------------------

JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002
    Initialising zone memory .....
    ----- FS_Startup -----
    Current search path:
    C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets5.pk3 (4 files)
    C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (289 files)
    C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)
    C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)
    C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base
    ----------------------
    14978 files in pk3 files
    execing default.cfg
    couldn't exec jk2config.cfg
    couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
    ...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium IV
    ------- Input Initialization -------
    Skipping check for DirectInput
    Joystick is not active.
    ------------------------------------
    ----- Client Initialization -----
    ----- Initializing Renderer ----
    -------------------------------
    ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
    --- Common Initialization Complete ---
    Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData
    ----- R_Init -----
    Initializing OpenGL subsystem
    ...initializing QGL
    ...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
    ...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
    ...using desktop display depth of 32
    ...calling CDS: ok
    ...registered window class
    ...created window@0,0 (640x480)
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ...getting DC: succeeded
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
    ...using colorsbits of 16
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...shutting down QGL
    ...unloading OpenGL DLL
    ----- CL_Shutdown -----
    RE_Shutdown( 1 )
    -----------------------
    GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

----------------------------------------------------------

:)

SAGB - MCET, Jul 29, 2018

2. Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows 10...

I know for a fact that the program runs under Windows 10 as I have been able to get it to run on 3 other machines. I've used the WinXP Sp3 mode for it. But I also know for a fact that it has something to do with the video drivers for integrated Intel Graphics
    chips. Two of the three computers have integrated Intel graphics chips and I had to use a special OpenGL dll file modified to convert Open GL commands to Direct X to get it to run (and install DirectX 9). The drivers for the intel Graphics chips for Windows
    10 don't appear to properly support early versions of OpenGL (The NVidia drivers for the GTX750Ti allow the program to work without the modified OpenGL.dll and works fine - only in a windowed mode).

But the modified OpenGL method is not working for this particular Intel Graphics chip.

Also, Windows 10 does not have appropriate drivers for the 950 chip. I had to download and extract the Windows Vista drivers and manually point to the drivers for Windows 10 to identify the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950.

If Windows 10 is using these drivers, and the drivers worked under earlier O/S's with the game, you would think it would allow it to work under Windows 10.

I've tried the compatibility modes, and none seem to help.

I'm suspecting another possible cause... It might be that the Windows generic monitor drivers do not support the video modes the program is asking for and might be causing the failure... but just a guess.

SAGB - MCET, Oct 1, 2018
  3. Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows 10...

I have an Acer TravelMate 4200 with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. I installed Windows 10 on it to see if it could handle it. So far everything works except that I can no longer play Jedi Knight II on it.

The game worked perfectly under Windows XP Pro on the same machine.

This is the message I get: "...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)… GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"

Acer does not have any driver updates, and neither does Intel.

I've tried the modified OpenGL .dll driver trick that works for my other computer with an HD Graphics chip, but it doesn't work here... the modified driver says it isn't compatible.

Is there anything that will help fix this? (I've tried the Windows Update for the driver - It says my current driver is the best to use)

Below is the full log:

---------------------------------------

JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets5.pk3 (4 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (289 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base
    ----------------------

14978 files in pk3 files

execing default.cfg

couldn't exec jk2config.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium IV
    ------- Input Initialization -------

Skipping check for DirectInput

Joystick is not active.

------------------------------------

----- Client Initialization -----

----- Initializing Renderer ----

-------------------------------

----- Client Initialization Complete -----

--- Common Initialization Complete ---

Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData

----- R_Init -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded

...using desktop display depth of 32

...registered window class

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...using colorsbits of 16

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

----- CL_Shutdown -----

RE_Shutdown( 1 )

-----------------------

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

----------------------------------------------------------

SAGB - MCET, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows...

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 driver for windows 10 desperatly needed

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• What is the exact issue you are referring to?

• What is the exact error message you are getting?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

The new Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (Intel® GMA 950) graphics core is an intelligent and responsive graphics engine built into the chipset that is on the motherboard. This integration provides incredible visual quality, faster graphics
    performance and flexible display options without the need for a separate graphics card.

It does not support hardware T&L (Transform & Lightning) calculations (which is required for some games).

It supports DirectX 9.0 with Shader Model 2.0 (Vertex Shader are calculated in Software - by the CPU) and OpenGL 1.4. Furthermore, the chip is able to accelerate the decoding of MPEG2 videos and supports Motion Compensation.

The GMA 900 can not be described as a graphics card that is sufficient for gamers. Still Intel published a list
    of games that will run (not needingly beautiful) on the notebook. Some old 3D games and especially 2D games should run without problems. The advantage of integrated graphics cards, is that they have a low power consumtion and therefore save battery life.
    Furthermore, the laptop may stay cooler and more silent than laptops with dedicated graphics cards. For office programs and surfing the performance is more than sufficient.

Please refer to the link below for more information.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows...

1. Difficulty Playing Old OpenGL Games with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Under Windows... - Similar Threads - Difficulty Playing Old

2. intel g41 express chipset new driver graphics media accelerator or driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    intel g41 express chipset new driver graphics media accelerator or driver: I HAVE WINDOWS 10 64BIT AND I HAVE PROBLEMS ABOUT INTEL G41 EXPRESS CHIPSET MY DRIVER VERSION DATE IS 2011 GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR SO THAT OLD VERSION MY PC PERFOMANCE IS MEDIUM LOW CAN ANYONE SHARE NEW INTEL G41 EXPRESS CHIPSET DRIVER WITH GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR OR...
  3. intel g41 express chipset new driver graphics media accelerator or driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    intel g41 express chipset new driver graphics media accelerator or driver: I HAVE WINDOWS 10 64BIT AND I HAVE PROBLEMS ABOUT INTEL G41 EXPRESS CHIPSET MY DRIVER VERSION DATE IS 2011 GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR SO THAT OLD VERSION MY PC PERFOMANCE IS MEDIUM LOW CAN ANYONE SHARE NEW INTEL G41 EXPRESS CHIPSET DRIVER WITH GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR OR...
  4. intel g41 express chipset new driver graphics media accelerator or driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. opengl with Windows 11 and intel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opengl with Windows 11 and intel: Hey guys,I came across a problem while I was trying to use an app Anki. When trying to use the app my screen started glitching. I am pretty sure the problem is due to me not having an open gl driver because of an error code . I am using an acer swift 3 with windows 11 and my...
  6. Intel Graphics no longer has OpenGL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Graphics no longer has OpenGL: I tried to launch a program this morning and was told I do not have the correct version of OpenGL installed on my Surface Go. When I opened the Intel Graphics Command Center, it showed no version of OpenGL was installed. I tried updating the Intel Drivers and it still hasn't...
  7. Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 incompatible with 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 incompatible with 10: Hello All I have a HP mini 210-1000 laptop that is currently running windows 7 with SP1 with no problems. According to the "Get Windows 10" program I cannot upgrade to windows 10 as the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 has a compatibility issue. Does anyone know if...
  8. AMD driver replaced by Intel graphics media Accelerator 3150 (WDDM 1.0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD driver replaced by Intel graphics media Accelerator 3150 (WDDM 1.0: Aspire One D225E 2G Ram As I recall during the Windows 10 install the Graphics driver was a AMD Radeon HD 6290 ver 15.200.1062.1004 which is current. I have an external display, just a generic, plugged into the video port and all was working well for several days. I...
  9. intel graphics & 'hardware acceleration' in chrome

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    intel graphics & 'hardware acceleration' in chrome: 1. any reliable data on how good i5 2410m is? 2. and any evidence for what 'gpu acceleration' in chrome helps with? if not, ill turn it off 107120
  10. openGL missing. Cannot play a game.

in Windows 10 Support
    openGL missing. Cannot play a game.: So I installed Broken Age then when I open it, it says that the required openGL features aren't available. Well I installed the latest update on the driver but still no luck. So I also cannot find intel graphics control panel (cannot find it on right clicking the desktop)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mohaa error could not load opengl subsystem

2. cannot play games in intel gma 950 opengl problem

3. how to run old games requiring graphics accelerator