Windows 10: difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update

Discus and support difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello!,,, i have 2 external hard drives where send images. After indexing the drives, i was able to retrieve photos by name,date, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bellmoreimages, Jun 26, 2020.

1. difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update

Hello!,,, i have 2 external hard drives where send images. After indexing the drives, i was able to retrieve photos by name,date, or subject.However after the most recent upgrading of windows 10 pro, im unable to retrieve photos. I have re indexed several times. Im able to go into the drive and extract photos by dates, only because i can see the dates in the saved files. can you help? Thanks!

:)

bellmoreimages, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Windows 10 Pro will not connect to external hard drive

Let's try these other workarounds to narrow down the cause of the issue, we would like to suggest that you follow the methods mentioned below.

Method 1: Uninstall and reconnect the external hard drive.

• Right click on Start Menu, and select Device Manager.
    • Double click and expand Disk Drives.
    • Right click on each of the drives and select Uninstall.

Note: You may be prompted to enter an Admin password.

• After it uninstalls, reboot the computer and plug the external hard drive and check.

If the issue did not resolve proceed to the next method.

Method 2: Windows Updates.

This method will install the latest device drivers for your USB external hard drive. Open Windows updates and check if there are any pending updates in your computer. If so, disconnect all external devices other that keyboard and mouse. Install the updates
    a check.

Regards,

Ryan Mon1, Jun 26, 2020
  3. DJ4meOK Win User
    retrieving documents from external hard drive

I had many responses to the question. I tried all the suggestions but nothing worked. It appears that windows 10 does not have the capability to retrieve or restore files from an external hard drive that was copied from a Windows 7 computer. I'll try again
    later. Maybe they will get the operating system working properly in the future. Thanks, DJ

DJ4meOK, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update

1. difficulty retrieving images from external hard drive after windows 10 pro update - Similar Threads - difficulty retrieving images

2. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  3. Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive

Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive: I have recently installed a new version of Windows which means I have lost my data. Before doing so, I created a system image so I could move important files back to my PC. However, if I try to do anyhting with this Hard Disk Image File then this popup appears: [ATTACH]...
  4. Retrieving windows 10 from a fried hard drive???

Retrieving windows 10 from a fried hard drive???: Hi, my son spilt water on my windows 10 laptop, and has completely fried the hard drive, so im going to have a new hard drive installed, however how do i get the windows 10 key to re install it??? Can anyone help??...
  5. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  6. External hard drive and Image creation

External hard drive and Image creation: I have a 2 Terabyte external hard disk (1.82 Free-recently formated) and I am unable to create an Image of my hard disk. Error (0x80780119). My hard disk only has 383 Gb of data to backup. I was able to do it before without any problem. Windows 10 Pro 64 (1809). any...
  7. Windows 10 Pro and External Hard Drives...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro and External Hard Drives...: Hello, I recently bought a new PC with win 10 pro on board. I was disappointed to find that my Sabrent Dual Hard Drive bay as well as my Inateck external hard drive cable are not recognized by my laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad. I had no issues with either of these external...
  8. Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive

Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive: Just this evening I found the external hard drive used with our last PC. I have not connected it to our current PC in fear of making some dreadful mistake. My goal is to retrieve all jpg image files from that old drive. Note, I use File History to save files from our current...
  9. Deleted all in Password Mgr how to retrieve from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Deleted all in Password Mgr how to retrieve from external hard drive?: *Huh I accidentally deleted all my passwords from my Password Manager, I back up daily to my 2Gb external hard drive, but have no idea how to retrieve & restore. I am old & half blind, please be gentle with me! Thanks,*Confused Sylvia p.s. I can't remember posting on here...
  10. External hard drive crashing after updating to windows 10

External hard drive crashing after updating to windows 10: Previously had windows 7 and all my steam games on my external hard drive. Everything ran fine! I did a fresh install of windows 10 leaving behind nothing on the external drive or my main hard drive, I formatted and reinstalled my games. Now randomly windows will make...