Windows 10: difficulty searching files in windows 10

Discus and support difficulty searching files in windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I love Windows 10 except for one thing: I cannot search files like I did before; it does not work in the same way and I cannot find the files I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by giannicliff, Oct 4, 2015.

1. difficulty searching files in windows 10

I love Windows 10 except for one thing:
    I cannot search files like I did before; it does not work in the same way and I cannot find the files I need like I did before!
    Formally, I used to type for example "contract in the search cell and all the contract files and sub folders in the open folder would have appeared; not anymore, why?
    is anybody able to help? Thanks!

:)

giannicliff, Oct 4, 2015
  2. fudbucket Win User

Searching for files in Windows 10

Actually, don't bother, I've got the information from somewhere else. After about six months I've found out that that thing next to the Windows symbol on the toolbar that says "Search the web and Windows" isn't just a statement about what you can do with
    this system, it actually is a search function, and it works just they way I want it to.

fudbucket, Oct 4, 2015
  3. fudbucket Win User
    Searching for files in Windows 10

In the good old days of all previous versions of Windows. If I wanted to find a file or folder that I knew was somewhere on the computer, I'd enter the the name of the file / folder into search, hit enter and it would come up, not only confirming that it
    was indeed on the computer, it would tell me exactly where it was (ie My Documents. My Pictures. Family. 2001).

Now, when I look for a file that I know is somewhere on my computer but I can't find it, all it will do is confirm what I already knew, namely, that it is on my computer. It has found it. I still have no idea where it is.

Am I missing something? Is there another way of searching? Or is it, as I suspect, that Windows 10 is a pile of doody that Microsoft should hang their heads in shame for selling it to us with out first warning us how horrible it is?

fudbucket, Oct 4, 2015
  4. difficulty searching files in windows 10

Is search just slow? Make sure you update and update the drivers. There is a button on the bottom that says my stuff that might refine the search.

DustSailor, Oct 4, 2015
  5. Have you got indexing switched on for your hard drive?
    Open explorer, right click on your "C" drive, then click on "properties" and see if indexing is switched on for that drive.

difficulty searching files in windows 10 [​IMG]

Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015
  6. morrig Win User
    Just checked and indexing on is default setting ,might be a bit better to try ... Open Settings type search then click on Indexing options then modify to add more . Then click on Advanced then file types ,change Index properties only to Index properties and file contents.
    Worth a try.

morrig, Oct 4, 2015
  7. It is the right way: and it works; beats me why it is not a default ,and it is so unreported while it deprives the sistem of a fundamental tool?
    you need to check the drive you want to index!
    difficulty searching files in windows 10 [​IMG]

Thank you I appreciate you showing me the way!

giannicliff, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

difficulty searching files in windows 10

1. difficulty searching files in windows 10 - Similar Threads - difficulty searching files

2. Windows 10 installation difficulties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation difficulties: Hello, I reset my PC and now the installation is really getting on my nerves. When I try to add my outlook account it keeps saying oops sorry try again later or sign in with a local account. Then I try and make a local account and it gives me an error. I’ve tried restarting...
  3. Windows 10 installation difficulties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installation difficulties: Hello, I reset my PC and now the installation is really getting on my nerves. When I try to add my outlook account it keeps saying oops sorry try again later or sign in with a local account. Then I try and make a local account and it gives me an error. I’ve tried restarting...
  4. Windows 10 installation difficulties

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade Difficulties

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade Difficulties: I have reloaded a laptop that was installed with Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home with the intention of upgrading it to Windows 10 Pro. The laptop is now showing as not activated. Will I need to install Windows 10 S on the laptops or can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the...
  6. WINDOWS 10 WIFI DIFFICULTIES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOWS 10 WIFI DIFFICULTIES: Hi I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10 home, version 1803. It takes a very long time - upto 10 minutes - for the system to find available WIFI networks. Once a network is found it takes at least 3 attempts to connect. Also once connected, the WIFI...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade difficulties

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 upgrade difficulties: After upgrading my HP laptop to Windows 10, Quicken 2017 completely stopped working. I downloaded the program again from quicken.com, it seemed to install properly, but won't run. When I click the icon a little blue circle appears for an instant, as if it's going to run,...
  8. Difficulty reinstalling Windows 10

Difficulty reinstalling Windows 10: My Lenovo G50-45 laptop has failed to install Windows 10 updates for several months. Following advice, yesterday I reset the laptop to its original setting, so I am now back to Windows 8. I have been trying to reinstall Windows 10 from the Microsoft website but after...
  9. Difficulties downloading Windows 10

Difficulties downloading Windows 10: Hi all, I currently have Windows 8.1 and am looking to upgrade to Windows 10. I reserved a copy, and then got told it was ready to Download. I started the download and all seemed to be going fine for an hour. That was three days ago. Now, I am constantly getting the...
  10. Difficulty installing Windows 10

Difficulty installing Windows 10: Hello everybody, I'm Mark from the UK, can anybody assist me with the installation of windows 10. I checked windows update and it shows the platform has been downloaded to my pc. It also says in windows update installation failed. I then went on to the get windows 10 icon...