Windows 10: Digital Activation of the Wrong Product

Discus and support Digital Activation of the Wrong Product in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently bought an SSD upgrade for a laptop that came with Windows 10 Home edition. Using the original OS, I created an ISO and burned it to disc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Richard Gallon, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Digital Activation of the Wrong Product

I recently bought an SSD upgrade for a laptop that came with Windows 10 Home edition.

Using the original OS, I created an ISO and burned it to disc to install on the new drive, but once the installation was complete it activated the Home Single Language edition instead of the full Home edition.

It's hideous, and I can barely customize it. Any ideas how to force the installer to use the correct version as was installed originally?

:)

Richard Gallon, Mar 16, 2020

2. Activate windows 10 after re-installing (I have lost my product key)

I own a Lenovo T430 laptop. In 2017, I installed Windows 10 using my original Windows 7 product key. Unfortunately, I cannot find that product key anymore. I need to re-install windows 10. Will it be automatically activated after the installation, if I skip the step of asking the product key during the installation?

In my opinion, I believe that my laptop will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers and this will not be a problem. Is that true?

If not, please suggest me a solution or a workaround.

Kushan Randima, Mar 16, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Lost digital product and activation (Windows 10 Pro

Hi J.S.M.Sekokotla

You do not need a Product Key to re-install Windows 10, you can skip the steps that ask for a product key as long as you boot form the USB installation media, then once you put you PC on the Internet after the installation completes, Windows will self activate
    . . .

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Pro) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

DaveM121, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Digital Activation of the Wrong Product

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

In the past, if I did a change product code on my 10 Pro install, and entered my Education key. Activation switched from activated with a digital license to activated with a product code. And it would list the last 5 digits of the code.
    Now when I do that it stays as activated with a digital license. The DL is upwards compatible, as far as I know. I can clean install 1511 Pro or 1607 Pro on this PC with a skip key and they will both activate. I do believe its edition specific (Home, Pro, etc) but not build specific. I've installed an older insider build on a PC that never had an insider build on it and it activated just fine on the 10 Pro DL that PC had gotten with the free upgrade.

Right now, I only have the one PC that doesn't have a DL for the education version. I've delayed activating it in 1607 so I can do more tests. Once its activated in 1607 there is no going back.

alphanumeric, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Digital Activation of the Wrong Product

1. Digital Activation of the Wrong Product - Similar Threads - Digital Activation Wrong

2. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  3. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  4. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. digital activation

digital activation: hi i upgraded my system from 4gen to 9th gen a day ago but now i cant activate my windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/digital-activation/98883060-5513-47b9-88f2-01d8f73f9f0b
  6. Digital product key

Digital product key: I mgrated from [by force] from windows 8 to windows 10 sgle home language. I did not received a digital product licence key. I am experiencing some blue screen trouble. Where do I find my digital licence key or must I buy Windows 10 again after the migration?...
  7. digital product key

digital product key: downloaded free windows 10 home to a usb drive. notebook had win 7 on it. did a clean install. windows telling me it can't find a product key. device is registered to microsoft and is licensed to me...
  8. Wrong Windows Activation Product ID after reinstall

Wrong Windows Activation Product ID after reinstall: We have a Dell machine that came with windows 8 pro installed with an free upgrade to windows 10. I recently reset the machine and reinstalled windows 10, but this time it reloaded as Windows 10 Home not Pro. When I looked at the Windows activation product ID it had change...
  9. Lost digital product and activation (Windows 10 Pro

Lost digital product and activation (Windows 10 Pro: I was on Free upgrade of Windows 10 Pro. My compute crashed and I lost all information on my PC as I had to format the hard drive. Now I cannot reload Windows 10 Pro because I don't have product and activation key. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft website with the...
  10. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License": After doing the upgrade from Windows 10 Education 1511 to 1607, Settings > Update & security > Activation, switched from "activated with a product key" to Activated with a Digital License". Activation has changed with the upgrade to 1607. To clarify what I'm talking about...