Windows 10: Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware

Discus and support Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I initially had a Retail copy of Windows 7 installed on a desktop PC which over time I upgraded to Windows 8 then Windoms 10 Home using the free offer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RayBright49, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware

I initially had a Retail copy of Windows 7 installed on a desktop PC which over time I upgraded to Windows 8 then Windoms 10 Home using the free offer from MS.

Win10 Home working fine and when I check using slmgr /dlv it shows as being a Retail copy for which I have original Win7 packaging including Product Code.

I then needed to replace my motherboard and Windows 10 now refuses to Activate on new motherboard.

MS Phone Support claim that although Win10 worked fully (and Activated with a Digital Licence) on the previous motherboard that due to the M/Bd replacement I will need to purchase a new licence, claiming the previous licence was only for Win7.

I'd like community opinion on this ruling as being factual or not as I see some justification for a claim under Australian consumer Law !!!

I see I have 3 options:

1. Pay the full cost expected of MS

2. Purchase a licence from one of the many online sites (some maybe suspect)

3. Continue running the non Activated system which appears to have no time restrictions

Comments / recommendations please

:)

RayBright49, Nov 19, 2019

2. re-use a digital licence in a new computer

thanks a bundle

it is a digital licence .. it seems that it can't be reinstalled in a new computer

Abdel HadiElkinany, Nov 19, 2019
  3. dantandem Win User
    digital licence for windows

ok here goes :

reactivation of windows 10 after hardware changes doesnt work.

Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware bd5a8bce-dc74-4a99-9c0b-227f8fdb65cf?upload=true.png

to add I had nothing but problems since upgrading for free my wifi adaptor failed so I had to purchase another. then my ethernet port failed. so was forced into probably purchasing a new mb next step up from the failed one ( possibly because of poxy windows
    10 upgrade)

Also I thought when I upgraded so called "digital licence" to win 10 I no longer needed my windows 7 disc and key so binned it.

next step was to put old motherboard which is linked to digital licence. back in and reinstall correct version of windows to match my digital licence worked windows activated! ffixxed

now to change my motherboard back to the non faulty one..... and try to reactivate...…………..!!!

windows no longer activated.... and that the message in the window when trying to

dantandem, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware

Digital Rights Update Tool: Error

Hi,

We want to know more about the issue you’re experiencing. Please provide us the following information:

• Since when did you start to encounter this error message?
    • What additional troubleshooting steps have you done so far to fix this issue with Digital Rights Update Tool error?

Regards.

Michael Tal, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware

1. Digital Licence & Right to Reinstall on new hardware - Similar Threads - Digital Licence Right

2. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a digital licence to a new computer: I am going to buy a new computer and I will buy a new windows 11 license for that new computer and the computer I am currently using has a windows 10 which is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. The problem is I want to format this computer and...
  3. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring a digital licence to a new computer: I am going to buy a new computer and I will buy a new windows 11 license for that new computer and the computer I am currently using has a windows 10 which is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. The problem is I want to format this computer and...
  4. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Digital licence and hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital licence and hardware change: Hi,I have made hardware changes and reinstalled windows. I accidentally removed the previous build/PC from my devices in my microsoft account. Now I cannot activate the new build. How can I fix this?Nic...
  6. Digital licence and hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital licence and hardware change: Hi,I have made hardware changes and reinstalled windows. I accidentally removed the previous build/PC from my devices in my microsoft account. Now I cannot activate the new build. How can I fix this?Nic...
  7. Digital licence and hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Digital licence activation post hardware change

Digital licence activation post hardware change: I switched out my hardware on a pc with a digital license and now it wont activate, the old device is still registered in my account devices. also the help is completely useless once I get to the talk to someone section as it refuses to accept my contact number which is...
  9. Reinstalling Windows and a Digital Licence Question

Reinstalling Windows and a Digital Licence Question: I am experiencing issues with my HP ZBook running Windows 10 Pro build 1909 , several Microsoft apps or functions hang when called. This is despite going through a reset of Windows after trying several other fixes first. The key aspect of my situation is I cannot link my...
  10. Re-activating a digital licenced Windows 10 with new hardware changes

Re-activating a digital licenced Windows 10 with new hardware changes: Recently, i my motherboard broke due to my PSU caught on fire. Surprisingly, my hard drive containing all my files are intact and i'm about to buy new components. My concern is, will i be able to activate windows if i login with my Microsoft account that has the key?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4523205