Windows 10: Digital License != Floating License?

Discus and support Digital License != Floating License? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All, I was under the impression that my Windows Digital License is essentially a floating license. However, it seems to be a lot murkier than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WillFoSho, Feb 4, 2019.

1. WillFoSho Win User

Digital License != Floating License?

Hi All,

I was under the impression that my Windows Digital License is essentially a floating license. However, it seems to be a lot murkier than that. I've been reading through a bunch of articles and I *think* I should be able to activate Windows 10 on my new machine, but I'm not sure.

I had originally bought a Windows 7 hard copy, years ago. I then switch to ubuntu for a couple of years, then reinstalled Windows, expecting to need to buy another license. This is when I found out about the digital license, and presumed it was synonymous with a floating license. I've switched back to Ubuntu on that machine (was getting old and Ubuntu runs faster).

Anyway, new computer now, and I didn't buy Windows 10 with it (again still assumed I could re-activate) but it's not activating. From what I gather, because I purchased Windows 7 retail, I should be able to move around as much as I like? Is that correct, or am I just in for another $200AUD?

I guess the second question is: If I buy a new license, can I move it around in the future?

:)

WillFoSho, Feb 4, 2019

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 4, 2019
  3. digital license

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

4. Digital License != Floating License?

Digital License

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Thema:

Digital License != Floating License?

1. Digital License != Floating License? - Similar Threads - Digital License Floating

2. Digital License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License: I was on Windows 8.1 and I upgraded it to Windows 10 using a free method. Though, I didn't get a digital license and my windows is not activated and because of that a lot of windows features are not available for me. What can I do to fix this?...
  3. Digital License

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Digital License: If I have purchased a new laptop and deleted the OME partition before activating windows, is it possible to recover the digital license associated with the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/digital-license/4e9337c2-aa10-4eac-9b59-f1a3719de2f1
  4. Digital License

Digital License: I built a desk top computer for my self windows 10 and the computers at church started going bad a they needed up dated equipment any way so I donated several computers to them and one of them is still registered to my Microsoft account. I would like for them to register it...
  5. Digital license

Digital license: Hi I bought a 2nd hand laptop and after a fresh install of windows 10 It was automatically activated by a digital license since i don't have a key can i keep using that digital license ?? and how do i know if that license is genuine or it was just a counterfeit...
  6. Digital License

Digital License: I recently bought a new computer from a distributer and I need to swap the product key from my old one, but since it was upgraded to windows 10 I don't have a product key and I can't find the digital license anywhere. How can I get it?...
  7. Digital License

Digital License: I upgraded my windows 8.1 to win 10 now I reinstall a new version of Windows 10 because changing my HDD to SSD, I lost my Digital License and I don't remember what was the version of my windows (home or pro), and unfortunately, I didn't connect my License with a Microsoft...
  8. Digital License

Digital License: I bought an iMac 4 years ago, and I got a windows 8.1 along with it. I installed the windows on the mac bootcamp partition. when Windows 10 was released I upgraded to windows 10 and activated the software and kept using it for some time. Then I uninstalled the software and...
  9. digital license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    digital license: what is my digital license ? is it my os build # https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/digital-license/8a71eb30-db17-42e5-87bd-2f277f2728d0
  10. Digital license

Digital license: My Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license. My system type is 32-bit OS on x64-based processor. Recently I found out that I can't use SQL localDB 2016 or later because it demands x64 type of OS. How can I reinstall Windows 10 without losing my digital license?...