Windows 10: Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap

Discus and support Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have today finally made the leap from the Blue CPU company to the Red One and, aside from the stock cooler, it's going excellently, thank... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Owenk27, May 30, 2019.

1. Owenk27 Win User

Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap

Hello,

I have today finally made the leap from the Blue CPU company to the Red One and, aside from the stock cooler, it's going excellently, thank you for asking.

I was reliably informed by most of the internet that if my license was valid for a digital transfer, I'd be able to reactivate my Windows installation following the hardware change by logging back into my associated Microsoft account and using the Activation Troubleshooter's 'hardware change' feature. This feature prompted me to re-enter my password (once) and has since been going to the screen 'Wait a moment' for a minute, followed by 'Windows activation servers are currently down or you need to try re-entering your details.'

I cannot see any way of entering my details again in Windows, and I suspect the servers are not down. The Virtual Assistant that has recently been rolled out gave me a US number (I think) to call, which rings for 30 seconds, alternating the ringing sound and a woman saying 'One. One.' then hung up.

I come to you out of desperation, Microsoft Community! Can anyone put me in touch with Windows UK support, confirm that the Activation service is up/down, or share their experience/fixes?

Thanks very much in advance,

With much sass,

Owen

:)

Owenk27, May 30, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Transferring Windows 10 to another computer Digital License

Hi Nikola,

Transferring a digital license to a new computer will depend on the type of Windows 10 license you have installed on your computer.

To address you're issue, we suggest that you follow the steps shared by
    Andre Da Costa
    on this thread about transferring Windows
    10 to another computer.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 30, 2019
  3. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2019
  4. Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap

How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers

Hi Meosit.

There is some misunderstanding in you question. Digital license is not a license at all, it does not give any use rights and is just an activation method, see

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/...

So the question is can you transfer Windows licenses.

Only Windows licenses bought separately from computer can be transferred.

Preinstalled Windows are tied to laptops and cannot be transferred or swapped.

So you cannot swap you Windows licenses unfrotunately.

Igor Leyko, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap

1. Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap - Similar Threads - Digital License Transfer

2. Digital License transfer problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital License transfer problem: I have a probably hopeless question. I purchased a windows 11 pro license through the microsoft store on my personal account. However, this computer is intended for my company to use for other employees. I am concerned that if my personal account is ever removed from the...
  3. Windows Digital License Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Digital License Transfer: Good day Digital license windows 10 pro is sewn into the BIOS \ UEFI of my motherboard OS is automatically activated I plan to upgrade components. Question: How do I transfer this license to another mat board for future use? How to remove this license to sell the fee. thanks...
  4. transfer digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfer digital license: a windows site suggests de-activating a device to transfer the -license' / key - to a new device. Is this true and possible in the case of --transfer digital license-- ???...
  5. transfer digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer digital license: a windows site suggests de-activating a device to transfer the -license' / key - to a new device. Is this true and possible in the case of --transfer digital license-- ???...
  6. Digital license swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license swap: Hi, I have two PC's running Win 10, my old PC has Win 10 Pro and my new one has Win 10 Home. Is there any way I can swap the licenses so my new PC has Win 10 Pro and my old has Win 10 Home?...
  7. Digital License transfer

Digital License transfer: I just got a new laptop, and on my old one, I have a retail copy of windows 10 home single language with a digital license linked to my microsoft account. How do I transfer that digital license to my new laptop? Do I just have to log in to my microsoft account on the new...
  8. Swapping and transferring windows licenses

Swapping and transferring windows licenses: I have two computers of about the same age/generation, one has a Haswell i5 while the other has a Xeon E3 also haswell-derived. Let's call them Computers A and B. Both are currently running the latest updated version of Windows 10x64 1909. 1. Computer A was upgraded from...
  9. Swapping Editions with Digital Licenses

Swapping Editions with Digital Licenses: I currently have two devices running Windows 10. One uses the Home edition, and the other has Pro. I would like to swap the editions around. I originally received the product keys with the devices, but they are reasonably old (Originally Windows 7). I no longer have the...
  10. Transferring a digital license

Transferring a digital license: I had an old laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded that laptop to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. This old laptop does not boot up or work anymore. I have a new laptop now that came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home. I want to transfer the...