Windows 10: Digital signing cert validity

Discus and support Digital signing cert validity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why is it when I download Windows 10 Media Creator from microsoft.com/en-ca/software… and then do a Right click on the file properties | Seclect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by frustrated999, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Digital signing cert validity

Why is it when I download Windows 10 Media Creator from microsoft.com/en-ca/software… and then do a Right click on the file properties | Seclect digital signatures | Click on General tab and View Certificate here it shows valid from 7/12/2018 to 8/8/2019

Digital signing cert validity 101e85cd-00c1-4504-a550-acb91c4613fb?upload=true.png

:)

frustrated999, Sep 2, 2019
  2. sorites Win User

Unable to Connect to Exchange 2010 - Cert Error 80072F06

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up coming to the same conclusion about it being a problem with the CN in the cert. It's weird because if you viewed the cert, you would see that it did have a matching CN. However, browsers (Firefox, IE, and Chrome) pointed
    to OWA all reported a problem with the cert -- both due to not trusting the CA (it was self-signed) and due to a name mismatch.

This cert did show the proper CN when you viewed the cert, so the browser error was odd, but the CN address was missing from the list of Alternate Names, which is apparently what the browser (and WP7) look at to determine whether or not a site is valid for
    the cert. Anyway, the Exchange admin issued a new cert and included the CN in the AN list and all was good.

Since I had previously installed the root cert to my WP7, I was able to immediately set up my Exchange 2010 account on the phone.

Someone else in my office has an Android phone, and he had problems with the cert too. But for him, he just checked the "Accept all certs" box, and he was good to go. It would be great if MS offered that in cases like this, where I, the user, explicitly
    trust the cert in question.

--

tl;dr +1 rep to Tobias D. It was a problem with the CN. Issued new cert to Exchange server and all is good.

sorites, Sep 2, 2019
  3. How to sign Powershell profile w/ self-signed certificate?

I currently have my execution-policy set to AllSigned. I don't want to change it or bypass that restriction.

When I created my profile script--or whatever it's called--I wanted to do so in order to set permanent aliases.

For whatever reason, Microsoft has made it an ever increasingly difficult endeavor just to create permanent aliases.

The problem now is that it won't run the script because it isn't digitally signed.

I attempted to make a self-signed certificate to sign the blasted thing but I never got anywhere.

I've looked at a few guides online but they all assume I'm in a server environment or something (which means the steps keep changing or involve unnecessary steps).

In the end, I wound up with a code-signing cert and the thing is in my current-user cert store.

I'm trying to get this to work on my Windows 10 Pro desktop but I haven't a clue as to what I'm actually supposed to be doing.

Is it even possible to get what I'm asking for? *Confused

P.S. - I have no experience with either Powershell or certificates. The only reason I know what I've mentioned so far is because I spent 2-3 minutes glossing over the help files. My knowledge of PKI has me understanding that you need a private key to sign something, but I can't even get the certificate to validate my own key so it's kind of getting me flustered at this point.

That Random Guy, Sep 2, 2019
  4. durnster Win User

Digital signing cert validity

Sending digitally signed emails from WP7

I have successfully opened a digitally signed and encrypted email on my HDC HD7, after emailing the cert to my phone. Is it possible to send a signed/encrypted email from the device?

durnster, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Digital signing cert validity

1. Digital signing cert validity - Similar Threads - Digital signing cert

2. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine: I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I watched the process as well as editing in the registry. Needless to say, I have little faith in the help desk and I'm...
  3. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine: I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I watched the process as well as editing in the registry. Needless to say, I have little faith in the help desk and I'm...
  4. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Are Windows Digital Licenses Valid for Life?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are Windows Digital Licenses Valid for Life?: I used to own a laptop with Win 10 Home which was stolen. I have recently bought a second-hand laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed but do not know who owned this device previously & would like to clean install a fresh copy of Windows. Do I need to purchase a separate...
  6. Are Windows Digital Licenses Valid for Life?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Windows Digital Licenses Valid for Life?: I used to own a laptop with Win 10 Home which was stolen. I have recently bought a second-hand laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed but do not know who owned this device previously & would like to clean install a fresh copy of Windows. Do I need to purchase a separate...
  7. Smartscreen triggers despite application signed with EV-code signing cert

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smartscreen triggers despite application signed with EV-code signing cert: Has anyone seen an issue where an application signed with an EV code signing cert still gets flagged by Windows smartscreen? I've spent hours with the support team of my certificate provider, and they are stumped on the issue. They say that everything looks good with the cert...
  8. Adding Self Signed Cert to Chrome ?

in Browsers and Email
    Adding Self Signed Cert to Chrome ?: Hi I run a local linux web server and it has a self signed certificate on it. Every few days when I access it I get: Your connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from 192.168.0.100 (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)....
  9. No valid digital license/Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No valid digital license/Product Key: Hi, Getting error code 0x803FA067 when using the Windows 10 Home Product Key to reactivate the product. I had to replace my motherboard. I tried Powershell command: (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey which did not...
  10. No "Valid Digital Entitlement Or Product Key'

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No "Valid Digital Entitlement Or Product Key': W7 tower that was upgraded to 10 over a year ago. Got a TM.sys error (Tm.sys - 0xc0000221 Error - Windows 10 Forums) necessitating a reinstall. Everything went fine except for my desktop picture that was about 40% bigger than it used to be. I shrunk it down using MS Paint,...