Windows 10: dilema of replacing motherboard before activating windows first time

Discus and support dilema of replacing motherboard before activating windows first time in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I am an admin in a small Polish school, and i was forced to do a thing i rather shouldnt mess around with. We got 45 computers from European... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kokodin, Sep 3, 2019.

1. kokodin Win User

dilema of replacing motherboard before activating windows first time

Hello. I am an admin in a small Polish school, and i was forced to do a thing i rather shouldnt mess around with.
    We got 45 computers from European Union funded program to carry out highschool level IT clases.
    Sadly the suplyer of those cmputers was not aware of the specs we as an examination center have to met.
    He provided "office computers ment foe schools" and 15 of those computers have to have motherboards swaped to acomodate examination standards.

Computers as is can't be returned or replaced so our EU project coordinators provided us with of the shelve motherboards that would fit the cases and exam specs.
    Now the "fun part" was droped on me, i need to find a way if and better yet how to move windows licences from those computers to activate on new hardware.

Windows versions preinstalled on those computers are "Windows Proffesional for Schools"
    Motherboards in those oem computers are of the shelve asrock H310M-HDV boards with custom logo.
    I still have 15 of those computers in their boxes never used (with preinstaled magic sauce) so i have no idea if they ever seen internet or were activated by oem, they seems not activated but who knows what the assembling company did to them if they can't even plug in power suply into motherboards. Those which i did unpacked, activates windows by themeselves. i have no cd keys with them.

I need to find out what type of cd key is installed on those machines
    where it is installed (uefi or in the installed windows image)
    and if am i able to move it and how

New provided motherboards have the same chipset,but different maker, and are not at our school yet (they will be tomorow-ish)
    i can experiment at already activated computers in different classroom, i do have extra hard drives, if that would help in finding out where the licence is
    I did download ShowKeyPlus already :]

If you can guide me, pleas help. If i am thinking about something illegal point it out before i make a mess, because i know it is somewhat grey area already.

:)

kokodin, Sep 3, 2019

2. Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Sep 3, 2019
  3. digi-sebz Win User
    Windows Activation Error After Motherboard Replacement

Hi all,

I replaced a motherboard recently and after powering my PC back on I was greeted with a "Windows is not Activated" message. To begin with I wasn't particularly fussed, I thought perhaps it was because I hadn't turned the PC on for quite some time after some
    motherboard issues. I figured with a new motherboard and all the same components, it wouldn't be a problem. I'd click "Troubleshoot", followed by "I changed hardware on this device recently" and finally select my PC under my devices then click "Activate" and
    that would be that.

I was sadly mistaken.

I contacted Microsoft support and the guy said there wasn't anything he could do. I explained what happened, that all I had changed was the motherboard, but apparently the so called digital license isn't so transferable after a motherboard upgrade, despite
    the Windows Get Help app mentioning Windows might no longer be activated after a motherboard upgrade, and then providing instructions on how to activate Windows after such upgrade, and finally suggesting you contact a person to activate your copy of Windows
    if you have further issues.

Has anyone else that this particular problem and managed to resolve it without forking over hundreds of dollars for a new license? The error code I'm seeing in the activation settings is
    0xC004F213.

Thanks all

sebz

digi-sebz, Sep 3, 2019
  4. jpob5 Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached
    to my account (I can actually see 2 versions of the same computer in my Microsoft Account devices list). I've only ever used the Product Key on this computer too.

jpob5, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

1. dilema of replacing motherboard before activating windows first time - Similar Threads - dilema replacing motherboard

2. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Policy on activating a replacement motherboard: I read the followinghttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665but it does not address my question. Is there an official policy for when a user needs to replace their motherboard because of...
  3. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Policy on activating a replacement motherboard: I read the followinghttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665but it does not address my question. Is there an official policy for when a user needs to replace their motherboard because of...
  4. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  6. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  7. Replaced the motherboard, unable to activate Windows

Replaced the motherboard, unable to activate Windows: I had to replace the motherboard and the processor on my PC. It was Windows 10 Home 64 bit with a legitimate box license. This license is transferable but I cannot activate my machine....
  8. Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate: Hello, Recently my motherboard stopped working and I had to replace it and the CPU, after buying and replacing the motherboard and CPU my computer is working again but now microsoft is telling me my windows10 pro is not genuine which of course it is and it seems the only way...
  9. activating windows after motherboard replacement

activating windows after motherboard replacement: Hello, I bought somewhere in the beginning of this year a new windows 10 license, digitally through the windows store, to install it on my new computer, 2 weeks ago my motherboard broke down and needed to be replaced. Now I am unable to activate it with the new motherboard....
  10. Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows

Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows: How do you thieving extortionist justify wanting a poor person to pay $120 for windows 10 when all I did was have the unmitigated audacity to replace a dead out of warranty $180 HP motherboard with a better and cheaper $80 MSI motherboard? My windows is still the OEM genuine...