Windows 10: dir Difficulties

Discus and support dir Difficulties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am seeking to sort files with dir. Creation date and time is my most primary interest. This has been my primary guide. MS-DOS dir command help I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikeincousa, Jun 25, 2018.

1. dir Difficulties

I am seeking to sort files with dir.

Creation date and time is my most primary interest.

This has been my primary guide.
    MS-DOS dir command help

I have tried a number of these commands in Powershell and Admin Powershell

The simple one element wild card ones work okay. Ex
    dir *.exe

All the others seem to use methods and techniques beyond my current skill level.

First. I do not understand this statement.
    Options listed below may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable. To override preset options, prefix any switch with - (hyphen), for example, "/-W".
    A description and example might help,

The slash operator returns errors that I do not know how to fix. Ex
    PS G:\> dir /b
    dir : Cannot find path 'G:\b' because it does not exist.

Why does PS reverse the direction of the slash?

Any guidance, clearer examples,references,tutorials...will be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

mikeincousa, Jun 25, 2018
  2. C1DNiE Win User

Thinking DIR-655.

So I have a few nodes that I need traffic routed to in my home. This includes wireless, USB(convenient), and of course hard wire routed main station.

I am running a broadband connection neighborhood coaxial to a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

dir Difficulties 865829755.png

To the point of the topic.

I need some suggestions.
    Needs:
    1GB ports x4 (10/100/1000)
    USB
    802.11b/g/"n draft"
    2 channels for streaming HD
    -basically my needs are standard and I want a solid option.

Does not have to have playable firmware. Just legit.

I was looking at the D-Link DIR-655
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=dir-655

Any Cisco/Linksys or other suggestions?

C1DNiE, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Berton Win User
    DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

In a Command Prompt window type dir /? [note the space] to get a list of switches you can use. I frequently use dir /o/s>dir.txt to get an Organized list of files and subFolders redirected to a dir.txt file in that Folder. Leave off the >dir.txt is only wanting a list on the screen but could use /p to pause it a screenful at a time.

Berton, Jun 25, 2018
  4. dir Difficulties

DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a a bare list(location name only). Just list the files and folders?

ZippyDSMlee, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

dir Difficulties

1. dir Difficulties - Similar Threads - dir Difficulties

2. Does it mean all hard drive data got erased if "C:\>dir" returns "0 Files 1 Dirs"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does it mean all hard drive data got erased if "C:\>dir" returns "0 Files 1 Dirs": In effort to resolve a black screen problem I brought up the command prompt on WinRE and typed: "C:\>dir". It returned the following: Volume in drive C is System Reserved Volume Serial Number is 84A3-2C67 Directory of C:\ 01/17/2021 02:31AM <DIR> Boot 0 Files...
  3. Issue with temp dir folder in my system while executing scripts thru eclipse as :...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with temp dir folder in my system while executing scripts thru eclipse as :...: Need help for the below issue: I got the below issue while running the selenium cucumber code org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: unknown error: cannot create temp dir for user data dir...
  4. taking ownership of dirs on a non-networked machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    taking ownership of dirs on a non-networked machine: this is quite annoying folks. I've followed this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-access-denied-folders-windows-10/ however, I'm unsure of what string mentioned in point #3 in that article, to put into the advanced box. the article makes me think it's my username,...
  5. chkdsk and dir commands report different free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    chkdsk and dir commands report different free space: Hello, I would like to know why is there different free space reported by chkdsk and dir commands. I created a compressed NTFS drive and have one folder with files in it. There are no errors on drive at least as reported by chkdsk: x:\>chkdsk x: The type of the...
  6. slow deletion of cache2 entries from the firefix LOCAL dir

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow deletion of cache2 entries from the firefix LOCAL dir: has anyone ever dumped this with a VBS script instead of using the FF program itself? or deleted them just by pushing the delete button? attached is a shot of what I see when deleting all of them. this dir fills up so fast with junk, what I'm going to do is automate the...
  7. My desktop and other dirs are changed as eg; OneDrive/desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My desktop and other dirs are changed as eg; OneDrive/desktop: FIRST POST IN 2021! If you don't understand its ok, but the issue is that windows 10 for me is thinking that the directory to the desktopalso for documents, pictures...etc. is actually my OneDrive backup and it is hard follow tutorials on different stuff related to folders,...
  8. Bug in the DIR command?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug in the DIR command?: Hi all. I'm running Version 10.0.17134.1365 and recently I've been testing long file names and how they're handled in an application that I work on. Strangely I noticed that when I try to see what the short name is for one of these files, they're not displaying correctly....
  9. "dir" output file list encoding is wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    "dir" output file list encoding is wrong: I inherited some 20,000 .jpg files which wound their way from a French language version Windows 10 to Picasa, and then downloaded several times into different folders which created several copies of the same images. (A total of 196 sub folders, but the contents and folder...
  10. Can't copy files/folders with Q-Dir

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't copy files/folders with Q-Dir: I have been using Q-Dir for years. This is a dual-pane file manager.For the last 2 months I have been having problems dragging files and or folders from one pane to another. When I do so, Q-Dir suddenly closes. But I can copy files and folders to Windows File Explorer. Is...