Windows 10: dir Difficulties

Discus and support dir Difficulties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am seeking to sort files with dir. Creation date and time is my most primary interest. This has been my primary guide. MS-DOS dir command help I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikeincousa, Jun 25, 2018.

1. mikeincousa Win User

dir Difficulties

I am seeking to sort files with dir.

Creation date and time is my most primary interest.

This has been my primary guide.
    MS-DOS dir command help

I have tried a number of these commands in Powershell and Admin Powershell

The simple one element wild card ones work okay. Ex
    dir *.exe

All the others seem to use methods and techniques beyond my current skill level.

First. I do not understand this statement.
    Options listed below may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable. To override preset options, prefix any switch with - (hyphen), for example, "/-W".
    A description and example might help,

The slash operator returns errors that I do not know how to fix. Ex
    PS G:\> dir /b
    dir : Cannot find path 'G:\b' because it does not exist.

Why does PS reverse the direction of the slash?

Any guidance, clearer examples,references,tutorials...will be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

mikeincousa, Jun 25, 2018
  2. C1DNiE Win User

Thinking DIR-655.

So I have a few nodes that I need traffic routed to in my home. This includes wireless, USB(convenient), and of course hard wire routed main station.

I am running a broadband connection neighborhood coaxial to a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

dir Difficulties 865829755.png

To the point of the topic.

I need some suggestions.
    Needs:
    1GB ports x4 (10/100/1000)
    USB
    802.11b/g/"n draft"
    2 channels for streaming HD
    -basically my needs are standard and I want a solid option.

Does not have to have playable firmware. Just legit.

I was looking at the D-Link DIR-655
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=dir-655

Any Cisco/Linksys or other suggestions?

C1DNiE, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Berton Win User
    DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

In a Command Prompt window type dir /? [note the space] to get a list of switches you can use. I frequently use dir /o/s>dir.txt to get an Organized list of files and subFolders redirected to a dir.txt file in that Folder. Leave off the >dir.txt is only wanting a list on the screen but could use /p to pause it a screenful at a time.

Berton, Jun 25, 2018
  4. ZippyDSMlee Win User

dir Difficulties

DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a a bare list(location name only). Just list the files and folders?

ZippyDSMlee, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

dir Difficulties

1. dir Difficulties - Similar Threads - dir Difficulties

2. Program Files folders not listed in Dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Files folders not listed in Dir: I cannot "CD\Window\Program Files" from a administrator command prompt and if I do a "Dir", "Programs Files" and "Program Files (86)" are not listed. I have a folder that I want to change the attributes on and can't do it because I don't have access to the parent folder....
  3. User account disappear but home dir OK

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account disappear but home dir OK: Hello, My computer had a glitch and after rebooting it I cannot see my account () at the login screen. I can login as administrator and I can see the home directory C:\Users\ is there with all its files. I am not very technical and I have read that recreating a new...
  4. DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

in Windows 10 Support
    DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.: Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a a bare list(location name only). Just list the files and folders? 77487
  5. command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones

in Windows 10 Support
    command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones: Hi there Is there a Windows command that can copy files from say directory A to directory B but skip any with the same name I don't want to update even if say directory A has a newer version than directory B --simply use existing names --if it exists skip. I'm trying to...
  6. File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

in Windows 10 Support
    File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect: I have been going nuts with this. For the past 3 days I have been getting messages saying I do not have permission to write in directories where I am listed as the owner. I have ensured that the users MyuserID, Administrators, and SYSTEM all have Full control over the...
  7. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden char in file name showed by command dir: Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char. Attached...
  8. Change Profile Dir in Answer File cause Start Menu in two languages

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Profile Dir in Answer File cause Start Menu in two languages: Hi. I have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 1607 ISO Spanish from MSDN. I have an answer file with ProfilesDir=D:\USERS. It worked in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (1511). But with this release, the start menu shows some icons/folders in spanish and other in...
  9. How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer: My C: is for OS only My E: is for all my stuff I am tired of opening up explorer only to have to click serveral times to get to E: For example it says quick access or thispc. I want it to default to E: when i open up explorer Is it possible, and how do i do that?...
  10. matching wildcards in dir

in Windows 10 Support
    matching wildcards in dir: In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt If I do a dir test0* I expect to get all files which match test0* like test00 and test0000 but I also get test 01.txt and I'm not sure why. I mean "test 01.txt"...