Windows 10: "dir" output file list encoding is wrong

Discus and support "dir" output file list encoding is wrong in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I inherited some 20,000 .jpg files which wound their way from a French language version Windows 10 to Picasa, and then downloaded several times into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ineuw Win User

"dir" output file list encoding is wrong

I inherited some 20,000 .jpg files which wound their way from a French language version Windows 10 to Picasa, and then downloaded several times into different folders which created several copies of the same images. (A total of 196 sub folders, but the contents and folder names are not always identical.)

I wanted to "xcopy" the contents of the sub-folders into a single folder and overwrite the duplicates.

When I created a directory list of the folders Code:
    the encoding changed and I cannot use this output to create a batch file. The dirlist.txt file is definitely UTF-8, but what it displays is:

Code:
    :)

ineuw, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

"dir" output file list encoding is wrong

1. "dir" output file list encoding is wrong - Similar Threads - dir output file

2. How to write a dir output to a file without trailing new line?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to write a dir output to a file without trailing new line?: Hello ExpertsWhen I run the below command, it creates a bat file with trailing new linedir /r /s /b setup.exe > installMe.batinstallMe.bat content is as belowC:\temp\folder1\setup.exe then there is a newline hereI dont want newline in the installMe.bat, since later, I want to...
  3. How to write a dir output to a file without trailing new line?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to write a dir output to a file without trailing new line?: Hello ExpertsWhen I run the below command, it creates a bat file with trailing new linedir /r /s /b setup.exe > installMe.batinstallMe.bat content is as belowC:\temp\folder1\setup.exe then there is a newline hereI dont want newline in the installMe.bat, since later, I want to...
  4. How to write a dir output to a file without trailing new line?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. wrong right-arrow output

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    wrong right-arrow output: When I press the right arrow on my keyboard it randomly gives a page down output into the computer that goes on until I press page up. This happens when I hold down right, press it multiple times or just tap it once. While this happens, does my page down button not work...
  6. encoded files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    encoded files: I have windows 10 and can not open the files XLR-WPS-and EML how can I safely open them Moved from: Office/Word / Windows 10 / Office 2016 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encoded-files/d34576e9-91de-4584-a4c8-04901749751d"
  7. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

Windows 10 DIR command output format changed: Due to a recent change in windows 10 ... it seems several commands no longer recognize switches ... that is not an insurmountable problem ... BUT ... the output format of the DIR command changed the format of the output and as such ... all of my scripts that used the format...
  8. Windows Explorer displays Wav metadata with wrong encoding

Windows Explorer displays Wav metadata with wrong encoding: Hi, I have a wav file with metadata of Japanese characters encoded in UTF8. However, Windows Explorer doesn't display it correctly [ATTACH] But in other Tag editors (e.g. Switch by NCH), it can be displayed properly [ATTACH] My wav file has a CSET chunk (a standard in...
  9. Program Files folders not listed in Dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Files folders not listed in Dir: I cannot "CD\Window\Program Files" from a administrator command prompt and if I do a "Dir", "Programs Files" and "Program Files (86)" are not listed. I have a folder that I want to change the attributes on and can't do it because I don't have access to the parent folder....
  10. DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

in Windows 10 Support
    DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.: Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a a bare list(location name only). Just list the files and folders? 77487