Windows 10: Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation

Discus and support Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The Microsoft documentation for mitigating DMA attacks includes the DataProtection/AllowDirectMemoryAccess policy. This states: This policy setting... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SimonWoolley1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation

The Microsoft documentation for mitigating DMA attacks includes the DataProtection/AllowDirectMemoryAccess policy. This states:

This policy setting allows you to block direct memory access (DMA) for all hot pluggable PCI downstream ports until a user logs into Windows.

My question is what is covered under "hot pluggable PCI downstream ports"

This link (https://www.synacktiv.com/posts/pentest/practical-dma-attack-on-windows-10.html) from May 2018 shows a DMA attack where they connect via an NVMe M.2 key B/M connector which gives them PCIe connectivity to carry out an attack using PCILeech.

Would the DataProtection/AllowDirectMemoryAccess policy prevent this attack i.e. would the NVMe M.2 key B/M connector be classed as a "hot pluggable PCI downstream port" and therefore protected?

:)

SimonWoolley1, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Edge and IE11

Source: Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

See also update: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Sep 6, 2018
  3. BitLocker and DMA and Memory Resilience attacks?

When you fully shut down your system then your memory controller and DIMMs are powered off. So, by definition, a DMA attack won't be possible since there's no memory to access and no path for devices to access memory.

PolarNettles, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Sasqui Win User

Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation

1. Direct Memory Access Attack Mitigation - Similar Threads - Direct Memory Access

2. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered: Minecraft asked for my Microsoft account PIN while I was trying to download it. I entered it once and it immediately said "The dictionary attack mitigation is triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the provider." I have only ever had one PIN and this happened...
  3. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered: Minecraft asked for my Microsoft account PIN while I was trying to download it. I entered it once and it immediately said "The dictionary attack mitigation is triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the provider." I have only ever had one PIN and this happened...
  4. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...: Hello,I know a thread has been posted before about this issue, but I'm having the same problem, with a different twist.Windows seems confused on whether or not my microsoft account has a Windows Hello Pin. It asks me to create a pin, but says I have one and the account has...
  6. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...: Hello,I know a thread has been posted before about this issue, but I'm having the same problem, with a different twist.Windows seems confused on whether or not my microsoft account has a Windows Hello Pin. It asks me to create a pin, but says I have one and the account has...
  7. Dictionary attack mitigation triggered and the provided authorization was ignored by the...

8. HOW TO MITIGATE DNS DDOS ATTACK ON TMG.

HOW TO MITIGATE DNS DDOS ATTACK ON TMG.: HOW TO MITIGATE DNS DDOS ATTACK ON TMG. Please reply on this mail ID : *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-mitigate-dns-ddos-attack-on-tmg/251e4007-5a98-4b28-bda2-3458b8545ad6
  9. direct memory access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    direct memory access: just looking to find out how to enable DMAC (direct memory access controller) on windows 10 and also if there are drivers available for it? any info would be much appreciated regards: Rellik...
  10. Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Edge and IE11

in Windows 10 News
    Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Edge and IE11: Today, Google Project Zero published details of a class of vulnerabilities which can be exploited by speculative execution side-channel attacks. These techniques can be used via JavaScript code running in the browser, which may allow attackers to gain access to memory in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. direct memory attack mitigations

2. direct memory access (dma) for all hot pluggable pci on a vm