Windows 10: Directing data to a second drive ?

Discus and support Directing data to a second drive ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike100, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Mike100 Win User

Directing data to a second drive ?

To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the Location. However I can also open File Explorer > This PC > then left click Documents which displays Music along with other the folders. 1) If I right click the Documents folder & change the Location, will that also change the Music & other folders listed within Documents? 2) Why are the Music & other folders listed in Documents when they are already listed under This PC? File Explorer also shows Music under Quick Access. Thats 3 occurrences Im looking at. Does it make a difference which one I use to change the Location? Recently I came across this method which looks like it does the same thing, but does it? How to Change the Default Hard Drive for Saving Documents and Apps in Windows 10 Some online comments suggested creating a separate folder for each user account and make the new folders as subfolders of the user account folder. I am the only user. Is there some advantage of creating a user folder? I've never used a second drive for storage & any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

:)

Mike100, Aug 2, 2021

2. Directing data to a second drive

I have a laptop running windows 10 pro, which has a 260g ssd and a 1t hard drive.

All programs and data reside on the SSD., which is nearly full.

How do I direct data to the other drive?

Thanks in advance.

GraemeWarnock2, Aug 2, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Directing data to a second drive

Hi Graeme

You cannot retrospectively move Software or games to your Data drive, that can be done, but needs to be set up before installing that software.

Please Note, for an SSD to perform optimally, and to prolong the lifespan of an SSD, it needs to e minimum 1/4 free space

Please Note in the following I have assumed that drive letter is D, if it is not, you need to substitute the correct drive letter . . .

Personal Data:

You can move all your library folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music . . .etc.) to your Data drive

Open Windows File Explorer

In the right hand pane, right click Documents and choose Properties

Choose the Location Tab, then in the Location box type D:\Documents, then click 'Apply' and OK

When that process completes, do the same for Pictures, Videos and Music. Each time, you must provide a different folder name, for example, Pictures will go to D:\Pictures and so on . . .

Move all future installed Store Apps to your D Drive

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to System - Storage - Choose where new content is saved

From there et that to your D Drive

If you are a gamer and use Steam

You can manually move your Steam folder to your D Drive and then point the Steam control Panel to the new location so it finds your Games. Please Note, the Steam process must be shut down before you move that folder

Finally when all possible data has been moved, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained here:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Aug 2, 2021
  4. Directing data to a second drive ?

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Directing data to a second drive ? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Aug 2, 2021
Thema:

Directing data to a second drive ?

1. Directing data to a second drive ? - Similar Threads - Directing data second

2. How to send data to another drive when one is almost full, and using a second drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to send data to another drive when one is almost full, and using a second drive.: I have recently bought a 1TB ssd for my desktop and my smaller ssd that I use for all my data is around halfway full. I was wondering if it was possible to create a threshold for my data to be sent to the newer drive when it hits that limit. I've also been trying to figure...
  3. How to send data to another drive when one is almost full, and using a second drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to send data to another drive when one is almost full, and using a second drive.: I have recently bought a 1TB ssd for my desktop and my smaller ssd that I use for all my data is around halfway full. I was wondering if it was possible to create a threshold for my data to be sent to the newer drive when it hits that limit. I've also been trying to figure...
  4. Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?

in Browsers and Email
    Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?: I just installed a second drive for storage & want to offload & direct TB email to it from the C: drive. Most articles I've seen explain how to move the profile to a second drive. But some tell how to just change the file path in TB and save just the email to another drive....
  5. Directing data to a second drive ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Directing data to a second drive ?: To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the Location. However I can also open File Explorer > This PC > then left click Documents which displays Music along with other the...
  6. Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive: I am running W10 pro, 19041. I have had to do a fresh install of W10 and since then I cannot switch bitlocker on on the D: drive. The disk is not even shown on the Bitlocker Drive encryption settings page. The C: drive has bitlocker enabled and is encrypted. Have been...
  7. Cannot access data on second hard disk former system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access data on second hard disk former system drive: First a little bit of context. I'm reinstalling my DIY desktop PC from scratch, after failing to clone the system SSHD drive to a new Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD with their Data Migration app a first, I've used this a number of times without a glitch. Fresh installing...
  8. Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive: I did the copy, but do I just change the drive letters in Disk Management? The data is fine, I just don't know where to go from here. IOW, I copied my smaller disk E (Platter drive) to larger disk G (SSD) and would like it to function just like the smaller E drive did....
  9. Windows 10 with BitLocker: AutoUnlock second drive for data recovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 with BitLocker: AutoUnlock second drive for data recovery: I have a BitLocker setup where C: is encrypted and D: as well using the same encryption setup. D: is set to auto unlock upon startup and that works well under normal circumstances. I am facing now a data recovery task. Booting Windows 10 into a recovery console allows me to...
  10. Directing data to a second drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directing data to a second drive: I have a laptop running windows 10 pro, which has a 260g ssd and a 1t hard drive. All programs and data reside on the SSD., which is nearly full. How do I direct data to the other drive? Thanks in advance....