Windows 10: Directory / Folder compare program

Discus and support Directory / Folder compare program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ? I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Directory / Folder compare program

Hi there

Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ?

I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required.

I don't want contents of files compared or any of the other stuff these sorts of programs seem to have -- just a Bog standard NAME comparison -- don't care about dates / file sizes etc etc --just a simple list of Files in A that aren't in B and files in B that aren't in A. Just a NAME compare -- nothing else.

Should be simple but all the one's I've looked for want to compare File contents too --if say you are running through a whole list of music mp3's or DVD iso's this will take a long time !!!! as a file contents compare would then have to read sector by sector !!!!.

A CLI would do if there isn't a GUI around.

Edit -- Found the answer --really neat one is kdiff3 in Linux (you need the KDE desktop though) - extremely quick amd flexible -- was already installed on my sytem/

Directory / Folder compare program [​IMG]

I think there used to be a built in windows program windiff but I think that's gone now,

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016
  2. DonBozman Win User

Unable to free up drive space

Have done the disk cleanup. download folder and delivery optimization folder are empty. Size of Software Distribution is not comparatively large.

The backup folders (multiple) are subfolders of SystemRecovery folder which is not under Windows. It is in root directory.

DonBozman, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 & SSD's?

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Any hidden directory is to be tampered with caution. And just like the Windows directory, there may be files in the Program Data directory that are safe to delete, but it is best to leave the directory alone if you do not know what to delete.

If you insist on deleting any file or folder from the directory, make sure you know what it is you are deleting.

1) Does it show any error when you try to delete folder?

Program Data folder is like the Local Settings folder in Windows 10, it's not for deleting, it cotains the setting of your installed programs. Any missed files in that directory it could lead to non-working programs.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 6, 2016
Thema:

Directory / Folder compare program

1. Directory / Folder compare program - Similar Threads - Directory Folder compare

2. compare file directories - windif?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  3. compare file directories - windif?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....
  4. How do I compare folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I compare folders: I'm backing up data from 1st External HDD to a 2nd External HDD. How do I compare folders to ensure the files inside this folders are the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-compare-folders/4d79df67-e8fc-461d-a031-ffedd4c3ac3b
  5. Compare directories including files and sub-folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compare directories including files and sub-folders: Good morning,I wanted to ask how it was possible to check if a folder and its contents are entirely identical. I have this dilemma because I had to transfer an archive of 500 GB from one location to another.Is there already something native to the Windows OS or not?...
  6. Folder oversize compared to contents issues

Folder oversize compared to contents issues: Hi, so I have a problem where my folder size when inspected is much bigger than the contents contained within... Below, there are screenshots to illustrate the issueAs you can see, something is taking up over 27GB of space that I could be using.It may be a folder storage...
  7. How to compare directories ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compare directories ?: Good morning all I would like to compare two directories to see what files are in one directory but not in the other. Is this possible in Win10 ? In case I need third party software I would like to know what is your favorite tool to do this job. Thanks Lee 178733
  8. compare two folders

compare two folders: How to compair two folders in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compare-two-folders/b7f107f0-6ffd-4251-8a8b-ff6544839c11
  9. Compare Folders

Compare Folders: In windows 10 … Is there a way to compare two folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compare-folders/fb1363e9-788f-442a-873f-3b073c054206
  10. How to compare two folders please?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compare two folders please?: Is there a utility please (not command line) that would enable me to compare the contents of two folders, and report any differences please? 143324