Windows 10: Directory / Folder compare program

Discus and support Directory / Folder compare program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ? I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Directory / Folder compare program

Hi there

Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ?

I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required.

I don't want contents of files compared or any of the other stuff these sorts of programs seem to have -- just a Bog standard NAME comparison -- don't care about dates / file sizes etc etc --just a simple list of Files in A that aren't in B and files in B that aren't in A. Just a NAME compare -- nothing else.

Should be simple but all the one's I've looked for want to compare File contents too --if say you are running through a whole list of music mp3's or DVD iso's this will take a long time !!!! as a file contents compare would then have to read sector by sector !!!!.

A CLI would do if there isn't a GUI around.

Edit -- Found the answer --really neat one is kdiff3 in Linux (you need the KDE desktop though) - extremely quick amd flexible -- was already installed on my sytem/

Directory / Folder compare program [​IMG]

I think there used to be a built in windows program windiff but I think that's gone now,

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016
  2. DonBozman Win User

Unable to free up drive space

Have done the disk cleanup. download folder and delivery optimization folder are empty. Size of Software Distribution is not comparatively large.

The backup folders (multiple) are subfolders of SystemRecovery folder which is not under Windows. It is in root directory.

DonBozman, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 & SSD's?

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Any hidden directory is to be tampered with caution. And just like the Windows directory, there may be files in the Program Data directory that are safe to delete, but it is best to leave the directory alone if you do not know what to delete.

If you insist on deleting any file or folder from the directory, make sure you know what it is you are deleting.

1) Does it show any error when you try to delete folder?

Program Data folder is like the Local Settings folder in Windows 10, it's not for deleting, it cotains the setting of your installed programs. Any missed files in that directory it could lead to non-working programs.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 6, 2016
Thema:

Directory / Folder compare program

1. Directory / Folder compare program - Similar Threads - Directory Folder compare

2. How to Create a Folder Directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Create a Folder Directory: How can I create a list of folders, sub-folders, and files within those folders? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-folder-directory/700f4fd1-c2fb-470a-ae0a-ea23e770efe6"
  3. Changing Default Program Download Directory

Changing Default Program Download Directory: About a week ago I was researching how to change my default app download directory, because my SSD was getting low on storage, and I had an almost empty hard drive. To complete this task I went into regedit and followed the instructions on a forum to change the directory to a...
  4. Program Files Directory W10

Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  5. How to change the directory of a folder?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the directory of a folder?: Hi, I am quite stuck right now trying to make it so that i can change the directory of one folder to another. I have researched the web about this but all of the solutions which i have received were only for changing the directory of the User Folder(Desktop, Downloads etc.)...
  6. Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders: So I have two folders. The first folder has duplicate files that exist in the second folder. The problem is that in the second folder, the files are named very differently. Is there a way to do a hash compare of both folders, and then for it to tell me which files there is...
  7. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...
  8. Window Programs showing low quality compared to rest of screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Window Programs showing low quality compared to rest of screen.: The rest of the screen is crisp and looks full HD - But the actual windowed part when I run installs, etc looks very pixelated. [img] Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks. ALSO: May be hard to tell from picture but the stuff inside the window is bad quality...
  9. Can not change files or programs directory.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change files or programs directory.: Let me explain. I upgraded to windows 10 flawlessly. I want to change my .txt document to open with Notepad++ for coding. But every time I click properties>change Nothing pops up. Does anybody know a workaround or a fix? I need to get to work.*cry What I mean > ​Screenshot -...
  10. Alternate Program directory, all programs missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternate Program directory, all programs missing: Hello, I have a multiple SSD/HD setup in my laptop. My main SSD that I use for the system isn't very large, so I use an alternate directory (not C:\Program Files (x86)) on my secondary SSD to install my programs. Things like Intuit Quickbooks, Office, and other 3rd party...