Windows 10: directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly

Discus and support directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In command prompt: List of directory eg dir *.* lists directory file names. The greek file names are listed in Greek correctly. BUT when send dir... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pericles Pap, Dec 21, 2019.

1. directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly

In command prompt:
    List of directory eg dir *.* lists directory file names.
    The greek file names are listed in Greek correctly. BUT when send dir listing to file eg dir *.* >c:\tmp\dirlst.txt and then openning the c:\tmp\dirlst.txt file the file names in Greek are not displayed correctly
    07/31/1997 11:37 PM 10,752 προχειρο αρχειο in GR.doc --- the correct display in command prompt
    07/31/1997 11:37 PM -----> 10,752 §¨¦®œ ¨¦ ˜¨®œ ¦ in GR.doc file in c:\tmp\dirlst.txt file

Any idea on how to tackle with this? Thanks a lot

:)

Pericles Pap, Dec 21, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Dec 21, 2019
  4. directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly

Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly

1. directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly - Similar Threads - directory listing file

2. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  3. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  4. during installation, windows is showing error. "The file name, directory name or volume...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    during installation, windows is showing error. "The file name, directory name or volume...: I am trying to install a game on my pc. but is shows the error. my game has two filessetup.exe and data.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/during-installation-windows-is-showing-error-the/f713067a-c6cc-4b99-9904-68611d2d9784
  5. Copying large directory does not function correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying large directory does not function correctly: Greetings people of Reddit, I was moving a rather large directory (389 gigs) in the latest version of Windows 10 from an internal hard drive to another internal hard drive. The directory had many many levels of directories and files under it. After completing my file transfer...
  6. Wifi name not showing in list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi name not showing in list: Hi, My broadband wifi not showing on laptop... but showing other wifi name. My broadband wifi name showing on other device but not on my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-name-not-showing-in-list/2400de9f-14aa-4edd-a172-58155d89adcd
  7. User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct: When installing Windows 10 on my laptop, the user directory name only contains the first five letters of my first name. Is this normal? I reset my laptop and reinstalled Windows 10 but have the same result. I was never prompted for this information....
  8. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    File listed on desktop does not show in desktop: When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open it and try to save it to the desktop, I'm told that it is already on the desktop. I look for it and its not there. When I...
  9. "The syntax of the file name, directory or volume is not correct."

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "The syntax of the file name, directory or volume is not correct.": In Audit mode, if I run the %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 command from the Command Prompt, the "Disk Cleanup Settings" window is displayed. So, I select all the items and press Ok. Now, before the prompt is displayed...
  10. Directory Listing

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory Listing: How do I create my File names with the date at the front of the so that all the files are sorted mm-yy? 49879