Windows 10: Directory Listing

Discus and support Directory Listing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I create my File names with the date at the front of the so that all the files are sorted mm-yy? 49879 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RBCC, May 10, 2016.

1. RBCC Win User

Directory Listing

How do I create my File names with the date at the front of the so that all the files are sorted mm-yy?

:)

2. DRGeorge Win User

Directory Listing Denied

Hi. I kinda got around the issue.. I was running Windows 7 and using IE10 and Chrome interchangeably. So after being told that their program was uploaded on IE I had to find a way to get the gaming software to download. It was very weird because most of
    the sites screens were fine. I was having trouble getting the dimensions to fit ledgibly. After getting frustrated I downloaded Windows 10. Once I was able to enable the Adobe series I was then able to play. I make my living playing cards so I appreciate
    the fact someone would take the time to help. There's still some things to work out i.e. the best browser so once I get a feel for them I'll be able to hit the ground running. Thanks again.

DRGeorge, May 10, 2016
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Directory Listing Denied

Hi George,

I'd like to get some information first for isolation of the issue you're experiencing with browsing the internet. Please answer these questions:

• What browser are you using?
    • Does the issue happen only on a specific website?
    • What are the exact troubleshooting steps you've done to resolve the issue?

I'll be waiting for your update.

Ian Ser, May 10, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Directory Listing

You can set "Sort by date" in the explorer but otherwise you'd have to name/rename files yourself. There are few bulk file renamer programs to do it faster.

CountMike, May 10, 2016
  5. zztemp Win User
    For new files you'll have to do it when saving i suppose.

For existing files you could write a script that looks at the creationtime and converts it to a date.
    Then you would rename the file by adding the creationtime in front of the filename.
    With powershell this would look like:
    Code: $files = gci c:\test | select CreationTime, Basename, Fullname, Extension foreach ( $x in $files) { $date = $null # retrieve date $d = $x.CreationTime.Day $m = $x.CreationTime.Month $y = $x.CreationTime.Year #convertdate to string $date = $d.ToString() + '_' + $m.ToString() + '_' + $y.ToString() #rename file with prefix date $newname = $date + '_' + $x.BaseName + '_' + $x.Extension Rename-Item -path $x.Fullname -NewName $newname }[/quote]

zztemp, May 10, 2016
  6. DrPepper Win User
    I've used a format like this to sort by date.
    2016-05-11-01-filename.doc Pretty simple: year-month-day-version #, a name I'll recognize. I've used version number when I wanted to save previous edits of a file.
    It worked for me, hope it helps you.

DrPepper, May 10, 2016
  7. zztemp Win User
    Yup i have the same sort of naming convention. There are lots of articles written about subjects like these, bottom line : keep it simple.

zztemp, May 10, 2016
  8. Directory Listing

If you go to the file explorer you can order the display by any column you want by clicking in the heading. If you right click in the heading row it will allow you to add/remove columns from the view in Explorer. Date Modified and Date created are 2 date columns you can sort by.

orlbuckeye, May 10, 2016
  9. RolandJS Win User
    Bulk Rename Utility, 32bit or 64bit, free or pay-for, will also do the trick; take time and care! A mistake can take lots of time to correct. If you're doing to do the date-in-front, I second the earlier posters' choice of yyyy-mm-dd format.

RolandJS, May 10, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    If you want the date before the file name just click on the title of the column and drag the column to the left.

Berton, May 10, 2016
  11. RBCC Win User
    Is there a rename utility that will count the date such as 60-12-01 , 60-19-01 , ect., that allows you to use your own "seed" date? And counts through and end date? Also doesn't use the computer date? John

12. zztemp Win User
    I'm not following this, could you please explain a bit more?

zztemp, May 11, 2016
  13. RBCC Win User

Directory Listing

I need to find a file renamer that allows me to start with a date of my choosing and allows me to increase the date by a week(7 dars). Such as may 1,1960 then May 8, 1960 then May 15,1960 ect.,
    Where can i find this ? And put into the name such as 60-05-15 gumshoe freddy episode 1 flintstones. Is there something that can help me do this??
    John

14. zztemp Win User
    I really doubt there is a program that does this so specific question. You'll have to look into scripting imo.

you would then format your own syntax : $startingdate+7, $name of the serie, $serienumber

zztemp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Directory Listing

1. Directory Listing - Similar Threads - Directory Listing

2. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  3. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  4. Cmd Prompt not switching drives/directories nor listing net use in elevated mode only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cmd Prompt not switching drives/directories nor listing net use in elevated mode only...: Hello,I just did a fresh clean reinstall of W11 Pro due to a ton of problems, many of which are resolved. The BIGGEST reason I did the fresh reinstall was because of one particular problem which is STILL baffling me.Providing screenshots of everythingThe command prompt is not...
  5. Cmd Prompt not switching drives/directories nor listing net use in elevated mode only...

Cmd Prompt not switching drives/directories nor listing net use in elevated mode only...: Hello,I just did a fresh clean reinstall of W11 Pro due to a ton of problems, many of which are resolved. The BIGGEST reason I did the fresh reinstall was because of one particular problem which is STILL baffling me.Providing screenshots of everythingThe command prompt is not...
  6. Microsoft Windows 10 "Apps & Features" listing ghost programs/directories, will not let me...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Windows 10 "Apps & Features" listing ghost programs/directories, will not let me...: Under my "Apps & Features" tab, I've noticed there are apps listed that I've long since deleted. When I try to click on them and select "Uninstall", it simply states that the directory or file is missing. It does not make any attempt to remove it from the listing of Apps &...
  7. Microsoft Windows 10 "Apps & Features" listing ghost programs/directories, will not let me...

Microsoft Windows 10 "Apps & Features" listing ghost programs/directories, will not let me...: Under my "Apps & Features" tab, I've noticed there are apps listed that I've long since deleted. When I try to click on them and select "Uninstall", it simply states that the directory or file is missing. It does not make any attempt to remove it from the listing of Apps &...
  8. Microsoft Windows 10 "Apps & Features" listing ghost programs/directories, will not let me...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Directories created by the OS show up twice when listed

Directories created by the OS show up twice when listed: Any ideas how to fix this odd behavior and make it so directories are only shown once and how to prevent the creation of 4 directories when trying to create 1 new directory.I just upgraded my PC to have a new OS hard drive in the past couple days so this is on an almost fresh...
  10. Directories created by the OS show up twice when listed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directories created by the OS show up twice when listed: Any ideas how to fix this odd behavior and make it so directories are only shown once and how to prevent the creation of 4 directories when trying to create 1 new directory.I just upgraded my PC to have a new OS hard drive in the past couple days so this is on an almost fresh...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. zztemp/drv